Money Belt or Front pocket: How are people protecting their valuables

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should I use a money belt for my 20 day Europe trip (Paris, Swizterland, Germany) or is the front pocket of my pants ok?
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 02:14 PM

Depends how big your valuables are darling.<BR><BR>Is that a baguette in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?<BR><BR>Oh dear, I suppose I'd better stop this before Fodors excommunicate me!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 02:39 PM

in those places there should not be any problem with your valuables...just watch out ofr kids and when you are in crowded places, i.e. subways...<BR>don't leave stuff in your hotel room...<BR>use a conventional wallet with a button on rear pocket and don't carry much cash
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 03:00 PM

I don't wear a money belt but I know a lot of people do, so you might want to consider one, depending on what you are carrying around with you. Basically, you are going to be subject to pickpocketing in crowded areas where a lot of tourists are. In Paris, that would include riding on the metro and pickpockets know where tourists are likely to be on the metro and target them. I've seen a man getting his wallet lifted right out of his front pocket on the metro on the line going by the Louvre. It happens very quickly, all a pickpocket does is wait until the metro door opens and then lifts a guy's wallet from his pocket as he's going by him out the door -- then the door closes and the guy cannot go after him if he realizes what is happening (this guy did, but it was too late). He was the quintessential tourist -- had a backpack, wearing obvious tourist clothes, talking loudly in English to his companions, putting his hands OVER his head (don't know why, he was stretching or acting goofy), not by his sides, and standing right in front of the metro door which is the dumbest thing to do. Of course, that's not the only place, around major tourist attractions is another one.<BR><BR>I'm not a guy so don't really understand why it would seem safe to carry valuables in a front pocket which is quite easy to pick, but I think men think that is a safe place. It's not at all. Can't you come up with some kind of pocket (interior) or thing you are carrying around to hold closely (NOT a packback) that is safer than that?<BR><BR>I've never been pickpocketed, but I don't really agree with rhkkmk's advice to simply put it in your rear pocket with a button or that it is kids especially, as lots of pickpockets are older.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 03:03 PM

Use a money belt for your passport, credit cards, ATM cards, and any larger amounts of cash you choose to carry. Keep one day's spending money in your pocket. Unless absolutely necessary, don't access your money belt in public. Better safe--and worry free--than sorry.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Two more things to keep in your money belt: your plane ticket and your driver's license.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 03:11 PM

I would use a money belt in the major cities such as Paris.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 03:17 PM

I made adjustments to my jackets so that I can either put airline tickets (which are entirely tooooo long) and a few travers checks in a safe place or pocket. I sewed 2 swivel locks so I could attach a money belt inside my jacket and then an elongated a zipper travel pocket so that it could take tickets. We either leave the tickets and cheques in the hotel and get ATMs in the between times. Have a grand time!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 04:14 PM

I keep my passport, credit cards, ATM cards, spare rail tickets and spare money in the hotel manager?s safe. If I travelled with a plane ticket and driver's license I should put those there too. Between hotels I put them in a packet deep inside a big suitcase. This leaves me to carry two days money and one ATM card in a trouser pocket, buttoned.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 04:30 PM
jor

Ask your mother, or whoever, to sew a pocket to the inside-back of all the underwear you plan to pack. Nobody will be able to get at it unless you are totally out of it. I used this for 3 months of my travels in Europe after college. Your passport, etc. will be on you even when you are sleeping...assuming you don't sleep in the buff.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 05:08 PM

My husband just bought some microfiber Dockers that have a hidden zippered pocket on the outer seams. They come in black, gray, khaki, etc...
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 08:29 PM

Hello Areinert<BR> I try to keep most of my money, passport, plane ticket etc in the safe at the hotel. Generally speaking it is not a good idea to carry around a lot of money on your person. Bring enough for the day. Just be prudent. Yes, I do use a moneybelt and never had a problem and hope I never do.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 09:49 PM

Don't be a fool. Use a money belt in Paris around your neck! I had my front pocket picked 2 years ago with my passport etc. in Paris on the Metro by two Gypsie kids. One distracts the other picks. Also I had an attempted pick by 2 guys last Feb. One grabbed my pantleg, because he was desperate to have his buddy get in my pocket before the next Metro stop. They were unsuccessful. Don't try to fight, but yell, &quot;pickpocket&quot;. I had my money in a money belt around my neck. In the first instant I reported what happened to the police. They were very unhelpful. My cousin said when I did my police report that a policeman &quot;high fived&quot; one of the adult gypsies. Do not get on crowded Metros in Paris!
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 01:15 AM

Money belt or pouch! At trips to USA Embassy I regularly meet people who have lost passports (stolen) and all money. Make copies of ALL documents and cards, keep them in luggage. Data watches are useful to record card numbers and such. Find and record credit card international call in numbers. If your cards go missing you can report loss and request replacement.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 07:00 AM

Re: &quot;...or is the front pocket of my pants ok?&quot;<BR><BR>PickPOCKETS are called that for a very good reason.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 07:08 AM
ira

Hi<BR> I carry credit cards, passport, etc in a little pouch on a string around my neck or looped over my belt and down my pant leg.<BR> I carry spending money in a front pocket with a safety pin to close it.<BR> When wearing a jacket, I keep important things in the inner pocket, again with a safety pin on it.<BR> I keep my cigarettes in my sock.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:10 PM

I would recommend keeping the irreplaceable stuff like your ticket and passport in a money belt for safekeeping. I keep money and cards in a wallet in my front pocket, and usually I keep my hand in my pocket to make it hard for anyone to grab it. It's just a bit awkward to have to access the money belt every time you need some cash or a credit card.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 03:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it depends what kind of place you are staying...<BR><BR>In a youth hostel dorm situation, sleeping on trains, etc. you probably want to use a money belt. When I stay in a normal hotel, I simply use their safe for passport, airplane tickets, backup credit card.<BR><BR>Besides that I carry my regular pocketbook, which is sturdy and secure, and a wallet, like I do at home.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:51 PM

I was on a trip with a friend in 1994 and she had her wallet stolen (and, against my advise had EVERYTHING in it - passport, AM EX travelers checks, cash, etc.) After that experience, I say a money belt or neck pouch is the only way to go.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 10:16 AM

I think neck pouches are uncomfortable and I don't like that the string is always showing unless you have a highnecked top on. One trip I ended us tying the strings of the neck pouch to my bra straps in front. Another problem with a neck pouch is that if you are wearing tight fitting tops, the pouch looks pretty obvious and pretty dumb.<BR><BR>We tend to stay in 2 star hotels or gasthauses or pensions etc., so ther usually are not safes. Our system is that my husband has a money belt (spend a little more and buy a good quality microfiber one that breathes) where we keep passports, extra cash, a few travellers checks, and extra credit cards. He also has one of the traveller's pockets that he attaches to his belt and wears inside his trousers; this has some cash and a credit card and can be accessed if necessary during the day. During the day we each only carry a small amount of cash. I have a credit card and cash zipped inside my small billfold zipped in an inside pocket of my zipped (and hard to get at) purse. If we really anticipate that we need more cash we just go to a bathroom stall and pull things out. <BR><BR>The only times we have had when the money belt has been inconvenient is when we have unexpectely been asked for a passport, and then it is a hassle to access the belt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -