Mom & Daugher Visit to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My grown daughter and I will be spending two nights in Paris in August and although we will be on a pretty lean budget, I am hoping to share a great time with her in Paris. We will be staying at a small hotel close to the Louvre and would love some suggestions for reasonable places to eat. My daughter said she is just going to eat pastries for two days! I think we need to experience more, although I like her style. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:32 PM

My daughter went to Paris on business in March, and asked me to join her for the weekend she was free. I am so glad I did - we had a great time together. It's not often you get to spend quality time with a grown child & have her all to yourself.

I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant we ate in the first night - it was not far from the Eiffel Tower, a tiny place we found in a tour guide, & we had a wonderful 3 course dinner for 22E each. If you like mussels, you could eat at Leon on Champs Elysee - very reasonable. We splurged on our tea at Laduree, but it was well worth it, especially after a full day of shopping & visiting the catacombs.

You are so lucky to have this opportunity - I hope that we can do it again.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:00 PM

This reminds of a nice article in the March 2000 issue of National Geographic Traveler (unfortunately, only a brief description is online) called...

<b>THE GIFT OF PARIS</b> &quot;If Paris were an open hand, the Seine would be the love line running through it. It is the most romantic river imaginable: for the beauty of the many bridges that span it, for the slow passage of the bateaux-mouches along it, for the history that has occurred on its banks, personal or global, romantic or tragic,&quot; writes New York Times bestselling novelist Elizabeth Berg on her first visit to Paris. A gift from her daughter, Jenny, the trip enabled Berg to see travel &quot;as a way of opening the mind and stretching the soul.&quot; Mother and daughter also learned something about each other.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ev.../pr000306.html
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:06 PM
ira

Hi mimi,

Go to http://www.voila.fr/PagesJaunes/

Enter the address of your hotel andlook at the map.

Enter the streets near you and look for restaurants and cafes.

Alternatively, give us the address of your hotel and we might be able to help.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:06 PM

Don't forget the picnic lunches.

It was a chilly 60 degrees in La Rochelle in December when my friend and I went through Les Halles. 100 grams each of Forme Ambert bleu and St Nectaire, a demi-baguette, a couple of bananas and a bottle of Saumur Champigny red wine. All of this for 12 euros. Don't forget a cork screw and some small plastic tumblers.

Sitting on a park bench my friend was feeling a little uncomfortable because we were the only ones there. The problem was we were Midwesterners eating lunch at 11:45. By 12:15 people started showing up, by 12:30 there wasn't an empty bench in the little park.

The Monoprix &amp; Galleries Lafayette stores usually have a wonderful food area in the basement. Shop around, see what you like then take it to a park bench and enjoy.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:07 PM

Wow--I remember that article (which I liked) but never made the connection to the novelist Elizabeth Berg (whose books I hate). Hmmmm.

Anyway, mimioosh, here are two relatively inexpensive but pretty classic Paris restaurants that you and your daughter might enjoy. I must warn you, however, that the food is pretty mundane. But the ambience is a lot of fun; at both places, you sit at tables with other people (mostly tourists).

Chartier, in the 9th arrondissement
and
Polidor, in the 6th. I don't have exact street addresses, but they're fairly well known so if you do a search or google them, you should have no problem.

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:09 PM

My adult daughter and I had a week in Paris, and what a wonderful time we had. As far as meals, just walk up to any restaurant/cafe/brasserie and read the menu. It's hard to find a bad meal in Paris, and with just two nights, I wouldn't focus too much on where. If you wander along Blvd. St. Germaine, you will have your pick.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:12 PM
ira

PS,

Forget the rest of your trip and just stay in Paris.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:27 PM

I went to Paris with my mother about a year and a half ago and we had a wonderful time. It was great to ditch the men and spend quality time shopping and eating! We were on a pastry-intensive diet ourselves. Don't miss Gerard Mulot in the 6e. for some great pastries.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 05:14 PM

Here are a few of the restaurants on my list, some of which I've tried and liked, others still to try. These are two or three course meal places. There are lots of caf&eacute;s and take-out choices as well, to balance the budget.

L'Ardoise, 28 rue du Mont-Thabor, 1st arr. phone: 01 42 96 28 18. Near the Tuileries garden, just one street behind Rue de Rivoli. A good choice for lunch after a visit to the Louvre. Open on Sundays. Closed Monday, Tuesday.

Chez la Vieille. 37 rue l?Arbre Sec, 1st. 01 42 60 15 78; open weekdays for lunch &amp; dinner on Thursday only. Menu &euro;26.

Le Biche au Bois, 45, Avenue Ledru-Rollin 12th, 01.43.43.34.38. Closed Sat.,Sun., Monday lunch. Four courses for &euro;22.50.

La Grande Rue 117 Rue Vaurigard, 15e. 01.43.43.34.38. A few blocks from the Gare Montparnasse, menu &euro;25.

Le Clos des Gourmets. 16 ave Rapp. 7th. 01.45.51.75.61. Interesting food, good wine choices, and a three course meal for a flat, very reasonable charge, &euro;35.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate your responses. They gave us alot to go on. We are staying on Rue Moliere and it seems like we are pretty close to everything. Thanks again for everyone's input.