Moderators: Please freeze or archive old posts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top Gear's frenzied activity is just the latest example of posters who dredge up old, preferably inflammatory posts for no good reason.
I've suggested many times before that the moderators/admins of this forum should selectively freeze or archive these old posts...posters can then look at them if they're so inclined but the trolls can't use them to stir up trouble at a later date.
The moderators have shown often enough that they have the ability to freeze threads...the racism thread was frozen quickly enough.
Not all old threads have to be frozen--some are still relevant to current travel and non-inflammatory. But there are plenty more that don't need to be revived.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:41 AM
tod

Another vote for putting old posts out to pasture!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:45 AM

If we put old posts to pasture, will people still be able to read the information on them?
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Top Gear is back? OH, NOOOOOOOOOO
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM

If frozen, no more posts can be added. You can read the thread -if- you can find it but no one can top it.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Neopolitan

Of course those old frozen threads would be easier to find in the future if the search function worked consistently.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:56 AM

And don't get rid of great threads like the Vikings one!!!!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:04 AM

They'll fall back down. I can't find any of TopGear's posts.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:06 AM

They must have pulled them, because TopGear's posts were everywhere this morning.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Is top gear he same person as crab louse,UKstudentmojo,and various other gross names? Can't they freeze the computer he works from from the isp(?)?
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:16 AM

i vote for another solution...outlaw posting for the sole purpose of influencing the order of posts. yes, that means no more TTT and the like. fodors has designed a system whereby active posts (those with interest) are presented first.

of course the down side is that some more obscure posts may fall away perhaps unread. however, the system should be allowed to work without people playing god by promoting posts that do not have sufficient interest.

we saw the extreme whereby someone has manipulated the board to the point of havoc but even the person who might keep TTTing their post in order to keep it, say, in the top 10 is equally dishonourable.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Budman- They must have been pulled them because they couldn't have all "fall(en) back down" so quickly.

Walkinaround- I'm afraid that might only encourage him to write something more offensive than "TTT".
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Maybe instead of freezing the archives, Fodors should instead ban Top Gear from the forums - at least with this screen name. After all, he showed up again this morning.

KC
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

No, I don't think we should be prohibited from seeing the old posts, just be kept from stirring them up again.
For starters, I'd freeze all old posts whose last entry came BEFORE registration. Then move on to the obviously inflammatory/political posts. There could even be an archive section--Rick Steves has one on his Graffiti wall (or did) where tiny, troublesome trolls (TTT) can go and relive the good old days of national bashing and namecalling.
Why won't one of the RED STAR BOLD FACE staff moderators from Fodors come on board and give us their rationale for keeping those old posts alive?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:01 AM
rex

There are enough of &quot;us&quot; to screen effectively for the re-appearance of this &quot;new&quot; malcontent. And the solution is a hundred <i><b>E-mail a copy of this post</b></i> to <font color="red"><i><b>[email protected]</b></i></font>

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:19 AM

But what seems to be happening is that the Editors are deleting the threads that s/he resurrects completely, and that's a shame if the thread happened to be interesting.

Or is the Editor simply deleting the troll's post, resulting in the old thread going back to where it chronologically was before?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:22 AM
rex

Hopefully, it's the latter - - that's what we would want, right?

E-mail a copy of any &quot;topped&quot; posts to yourself, and then you can check later.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Vikings one no one can find!
And search does work weird, doesn't it?
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:32 AM

I haftah say that Viking thread was as funny as one of John Kerry's swift boat adventures, and about as accurate as well.

Hell, if the post is funny and harmless and that one seems to be, leave it up.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:49 AM

I would hate to see old posts frozen or destroyed. So often they are interesting and useful. There is a thread on the Africa forum where someone (LyndaS) has organized all the East Africa trip reports under one thread. It is a wonderful resource and it would be a shame to not be able to access this information.

The topping for malicious reasons doesn't really happen that often, and Fodor's is quick to respond to complaints. I think it is one of those petty annoyances in life that we must agree to cope with because the solutions are less attractive than the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -