Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Moderately Priced Amsterdam Hotel- Mid August

Jul 8th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi- I just booked a trip on somewhat short notice where I will be staying in Amsterdam for 2-3 nights. I'm traveling with a friend of mine (we're both mid 20s) and are looking for something somewhat centrally located, within tram/walk of most of the sights. Any suggestions in the $120-$150 a night (total for both of us) range would be great. Thanks.
Jul 9th, 2010, 05:31 AM

How would you like a 4 star hotel for half of your proposed budget?

Go to http://www.tripadvisor.com and find the Netherlands forum. On the first page or 2 you should find a thread called "Bidding on a 4 star in the center". It has about 800 posts. Start at the last and work forward a few.

The bottom line is that Priceline's 'Name Your Own Price' is pretty much a can't lose proposition in Amsterdam. You may get a 4 star hotel as low as $65 a night. Use betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com to learn more. Ask questions at Trip Advisor... it's hard to lose on this deal!

Rob
Jul 13th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Most sights are quite easy to get to by tram in Amsterdam, so focus on what type of nightlife you prefer, if any at all. If you stay to far away from the main areas it can be a long walk mback after a few beers and puffs!

Leidseplein in my opinion is the area with the most vibrant nightlife with loads of restaurants(from McDonalds to steakhouses), bars, coffee houses(smoke shops). It is major gathering sight for many young tourist, and has wide range of hotel options. Try booking.com for great deals. Also look at VBRO.com for studios etc.

The area near Central Station and the red light district are fun to stay at, but the area clears out earlier than Ledseplein Square leaving less to do late at night. The area does have live music venues such as the Winston Hotel.

Rembrantplein is another decent area to stay in, and it also offers nightclub and bar life.

You can easliy find a room for 100 and 115 Euros per night(breakfast included). Book in Euros if you have faith in the USD gaining value.
Jul 14th, 2010, 08:47 AM

I second the poster regarding Priceline's Name Your Own Price. Did it for a 2 night stay in Amsterdam last August, got the NL Carlton for $78 USD per night, double room. It was in a great location, tram right outside the door, located at the Flower Market, nice room. We asked for a quite room at check-in and it was facing a courtyard, very quite. Give it a try, you may be surprised
Jul 20th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Hi, when you use the priceline name your own price, do you have to do it last minute? Thanks
Jul 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Hotel Eureka is good - book online, very quiet corner of the old city. I've been in many Adam hotels & I use this one for the view & position & er dutchness. It's within your budget but you can pay less, but get less.
If you just want to save money try Hotel 83 - in the centre of the redlight, hence lower price but decent & clean, book online.