Search

Mobile Phones

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Jennifer

Mobile Phones

I will be travelling through Germany and Austria the end of December through mid-January. Due to some unavoidable business needs, I will need a cell phone for at least the first week of my trip. My carrier does not have service in Europe and the only option they have is quite expensive. Has anyone rented a phone for service in Europe and can you offer any advice/suggestions? Thanks.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Rex

Based on my experience (in Italy), September of this year, I think you would do best to buy a phone - - a "pre-paid" one with no ongoing service plan. You just pre-purchase the time, as you need it. I found it to be a very good bargain, and others have reported similar experiences here.<BR><BR>My phone cost me $80 (USD), which included a $25 allocation of time (I used less than half in five days). and I sold the phone "onward" to another traveler headed for Italy in October for $55 - - and she was ecstatic with the deal. A win-win situation.<BR><BR>Sell it forward! Might make a good concept for a movie, huh?<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Julie

Although I haven't used any of the following cell phone services overseas personally, I had to do research on this for my boss who travels internationally. What I had found was that several companies that offer international rentals include:<BR><BR>Cellhire, (866) 246-6546, www.cellhire.com<BR><BR>WorldCell, (888) 967-5323, www.worldcell.com<BR><BR>InTouch Global, (800) 872-7626, www.intouchglobal.com<BR><BR>Roadpost, (888) 290-1616, www.roadpost.com<BR><BR>Planetfone, (888) 988-4777, www.planetfone.com <BR><BR>Roberts Rent-a-Phone, (888) 802-9518, www.roberts-rent-a-phone.com<BR><BR>I was also told you can rent a telephone upon arrival (this service that is increasingly available at international airports). Although there is no list of overseas airports having cell phone rental outlets, searching the Web using the name of the airport you are flying into and "cell phone" is likely to turn up more information.<BR><BR>If you have any additional questions, I have more details on another file that I could e-mail to you. Hope this helps!<BR>

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Rex

While it may be INcreasingly to RENT a phone in some airports (in North America, perhaps) - - it it is increasingly difficult to find any such outlets in Europe. I was told as far back as 1999 that "nobody has stuck with the rental mobile phone business - - no money in it - - everybody who wants one, buys one".<BR>

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 02:47 PM
beth anderson

Hi<BR><BR>I agree with Rex, buy one. You might even be able to get your firm to spot part of it, if it is pressing business needs...

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Jennifer

Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful! Happy Holidays.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:57 AM
mariacallas

I rented a phone from At and t supposedly so I could get my messages from regular atand t cell phone. What a bunch of malarkey. What a complete and total waste of time.<BR><BR>I haven't tried the others but I would not recommend this avenue.