Missed reservations on ES train

Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Missed reservations on ES train

I am flying in to Rome and will immediately train to Florence. I'd like to buy my ticket before I leave, but I can't be 100% sure of when I will arrive at Termini, due to arrival delays, getting through customs etc.

What will happen if I miss the train with my reservation? If I arrive early, can I take an earlier train?
Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:33 AM

Yes, you'll be able to hop on the on that is there when you arrive, but you won't have a reserved seat. You might just want to buy your ticket at the station if your not sure of what time you'll be able to get the train.
There are lots of machines that sell the tickets (in english), or you can just walk into the travel agency in the station and have them do it for you (at a slight cost -maybe 4-5 Euro more). I'd just buy it at the station when I arrived.
Melissa
Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:58 AM
ira

Hi baleon,

If you are taking an IC train you can just get on. Make sure you punch your ticket at the yellow box at the head of the track.

If your reservation is for an ES* you *must* re schedule. ES* trains are reserved seat only. You will have to pay for the new reservation.

We arrived at Rome TE at 11:30, 3 1/2 hr after our flight was scheduled to arrive at FCO.

We had reserved for the 12:30 ES*. We went to the cafeteria and had lunch, people watched and took the 12:30 train with no trouble.

It was a pleasant way to calm down and get into the mood of 'dolce far nienti'.

Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:08 AM
GAC

You must use your Eurostar Italia ticket no later than 24 hours after originally scheduled departure time of the reserved train. Afterwards, the ticket loses all value. You must take the ticket to the ticket window of the train station and request a new seat reservation on a later Eurostar Italia train. You will pay 3 Euros per seat for the new reservation (assuming you've actually missed your originally scheduled train).

If you can make the originally scheduled train, but for some reason still want to take a later train, you must secure a new seat reservation for that later train. However, you won't need to pay 3 Euros in this case (because you've changed the reservation BEFORE the departure of the originally scheduled train).
Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

"Yes, you'll be able to hop on the on that is there when you arrive, but you won't have a reserved seat."

I don't understand. I thought that you had to have a reservation for an ES train. If I get there in time for an earlier train, I won't have a reserved seat for it. How can I "hop on?"
Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:59 AM
GAC

baleon: you should not simply "hop on". You should go to the ticket window and request a seat reservation on the earlier (or later) Eurostar Italia train. You won't be charged for the change as long as it's done BEFORE the departure time of the originally reserved train. If you do "hop on" without a new seat reservation, you must immediately alert the ticket agent on the train, who will attempt to accommodate you in an empty seat, against payment of a fine of 8 Euros.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:48 AM

Hopefully the train experts here can clarify something for me. I have a question about the no charge exchange of a ticket for an "earlier train". Is the exchange free so long as the train has not left your station, or only if the train has not left its station of origination?

For instance, ES trains that originate in Naples with stops in Rome, Florence, etc. If I want to board an earlier ES train in Florence, but my original ES train has already left Naples will I be charged the new reservation fee? Or is it maybe like some airport gate requests - if the ticket agent is in a good mood and if you are very polite maybe you won't get charged?
Mar 2nd, 2004, 09:36 AM
GAC

Rookie: this is an excellent question. I checked the tariff regulations on the Trenitalia site and could not find an unambiguous answer.

In the "old days" the rule was that changes had to be made before the departure time of the reserved train, from its point of origination (and not necessarily from point of boarding). Hence, if the train originated in Naples, and you boarded in Florence, any changes had to be made before the train departed from Naples (which is earlier in time). [By the way, a "change" could be either to an earlier departing, or to a later departing train.]

I'm not sure whether this interpretation still holds true today on Eurostar Italia trains, where seat reservations are 100% computerized.
[On Intercity trains, reserved seats are marked with paper coupons which must be physically placed by train personnel prior to the train's departure from point of origination; hence the "point of origination" rule for making reservation changes]. But on Eurostar Italia trains, there are no paper coupons marking reserved seats (everything is computerized), hence a "point of origination" rule appears no longer to be necessary.

My guess is that the "point of orgination" rule no longer applies to Eurostar Italia train, although I could be wrong. It is certainly possible to buy a seat on a Eurostar Italia train a couple of minutes before the train's departure from point of boarding, on a space available basis.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:22 AM

GAC -

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain this for me. The computerization of seat reservations would certainly seem to allow for up-to-the-minute seat availability information for Trentalia agents and online ticketing as well.