Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Miss out on beauty of Provence if we go there in late September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Gretchen

My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe for late Sept. 2001. Had planned on Paris/Provence, but the more I read, the more I realize spring/summer is the time to be in Provence. One option is to change plans to Rome/Amalfi Coast, but not sure when we might get back again for Paris/Provence in the springtime. Will we really be missing out on the natural beauty of Provence if we go in the fall rather than the spring?

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 09:15 AM
xxx

NO!!!! You will just miss the best time for most of the popular flowers.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 09:19 AM
PB

No, you won't miss out on the beauty of Provence if you come in September. You'll simply be avoiding the hordes of tourists and the extreme heat of summer. It's beautiful here all year round, actually ! <BR> <BR>PB

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 10:13 AM
steve

End of september is great! Fall is beautiful in Provence. As for Amalfi instead, you can read about both destinations on my site - here is the URL - <BR>www.geocities.com/Yosemite/5733 <BR>hope it helps you. <BR>

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Capo

I was in Provence in May of 1994 and loved it, but I'd NEVER go in the summer. For me, it would be too hot, and from everything I've read, many parts of Provence are overrun with tourists (and with Parisians in August.) <BR> <BR>I believe July is the time that the famous lavender fields are in bloom so if that is a priority for you, then you very well may want to go then. <BR> <BR>In both 1999 and 2000, I was in Provence in the fall (October and September, respectively) and thought it was great. In October in particular, there was some wonderful fall foliage in the hills and mountains behind the Cote d'Azur.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 11:53 AM
greg

I have not been to Provence in mid-summer so this is only half the story but September has always been delightful. Not too crowded, warm, sunny, late september, into october, is the vendange, the grape harvest, with lots of activity in the vineyards etc. It's a great time to be there in my opinion

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Gretchen

Thanks for all the replies and reassurance that fall will be a great time to visit!

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 12:14 AM
ldsant

I was in Provence this last December. WONDERFUL! No tourists, it was beautiful (I know I missed the lavender blooming, but it was still beautiful), cheap rates everywhere and no tourists. Lovely time. BTW - I only had to wear my fleece jacket one day - when I went to the sea.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Jen

Been in May and September and each time was wonderful. Don't hestitate about September!

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 07:53 PM
janice

I was there last two weeks of September thru first week of October--no lavender but fabulous weather. A sweatshirt in the evening-that's it. And almost no tourists. You'll feel like you belong there.