Misc. Turkey Questions

Search

Misc. Turkey Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misc. Turkey Questions

We have read that there are credit card scams. If a waiter does not bring the portable imprint machine, there could be a problem. Has anyone encountered this?

Would it be advisable for my wife to bring a scarf to wear over her head when visiting mosques?

Would it be stupid to bring knee pads for the crawling required in Cappadocia?

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 01:19 PM

Never had a credit card problem; was there in 1996 & 2007. And, have never seen a "portable" imprint machine.

The mosques offer a scarf to wear, even covering for arms if you wear sleeveless attire. Of course, your own scarf might be nicer altho' I never found the borrowed ones a problem.

Knee pads? I don't remember crawling anywhere. You do have to bend down occasionally.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM

I'll agree with Nancy. Blue Mosque provided coverings. Other places in Central Istanbul did not require coverings. The only time we adjusted our clothing was in Konya, where the women with us put on long pants instread of shorts, but it was a non-event.

We went to Goreme Open Air museum, underground 'city' and hiked Ilhara valley. No places that I would think required padding. There is some climbing involved, but no hands and knees crawls.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 03:09 PM

Only mosques visited by many tourists will provide scarves. So it depends on what you want to see. If it's just the Blue Mosque, fine, your wife won't need her own scarf. If you want to visit the (incomparably more beautiful and rewarding) Piyale Paşa Mosque at Istanbul's back of beyond, she'd probably better bring it.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Adu,

1. There used to be scams everywhere in the world. The cards with chips and the four digit pins put a stop to them in Europe, including Turkey. If your card has a chip, most decent restaurants will bring the POS machine for you to punch your pin. Otherwise, they may just take your card for an imprint. In that case, the only problem places would be crowded bars with lots of younger people. Otherwise, it should be OK. We have never encountered it, but our daughter's information were stolen in Chicago and used in Russia.

2. Anytime you are going to visit a mosque, your wife should carry a scarf. As franco said, just a few mosques will provide them, and my wife would not put them on anyway because of hygiene. She should als have her shoulders covered and tyhe legs down to the knees.

3. The knee pads will be required only if you suddenly feel very romantic and decide to propose to your wife again. or if you rent bicycles some place or play a competitive game of volleyball.

4. One bonus answer: It is not customary to have a space for tips on the restaurant credit card slips in Turkey. so you would have to tip in cash. The amount scribbled as "service charge" on your bill is just an additional revenue item for the owner and is not paid to the waiters or any other staff.
The usual amount is about 10%, more for small bills, less for bills above 500TL

OC

PS: if you need anything while in Istanbul or anywhere in Turkey, advice, assistance, whatever, send me an e-mail at
' [email protected] ' which means 'dreams and perception' and is the name of my most recent book.
I can give you my mobile number and you can call to ask also.
You will, of'course, crumple the paper you write my name and number and swallow it immediately at the slightest risk of it being intercepted.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all.

And yes Other, I will also fall on a scimitar, if I can find one at a souvenir store. Your generosity is appreciated. That must be some book.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 03:59 PM

Adu, Do not believe the myth about the scimitars. And, in the past, it was usually the other way around. they fell on you and not you on them.

The inner antique section of the Grand Bazaat will have enough of them to arm a good size army for a historic movie. The shopkeepers will probably swear that their own great grandfathers fought with the one they were so reluctant to part with.

Thanks for the comment on my book. It has fourteen very short pieces, poems and what not, in English and is sold on Amazon. Had two good reviews (one of them from my son-in-law, i am embarrassed to admit)
The product description on amazon will give you an idea of the fun i had writing and preparing it for publication.

When will you be in our part of the woods?
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:03 PM

I would just bring a scarf. For hygiene reasons I personally wouldn't want to wear a borrowed one. Scarves take up little space and covering the head is the proper thing for a woman to do in a mosque.

We never had problems with credit cards, but we usually too out enough cash from the ATMs during the day to cover most of our daily expenses.

Tracy
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Otherchelebi, I just wanted to say thank you for all your advice on Istanbul and other parts of Turkey. I am currently planning a trip there (alas, probably won't be til 2012 unless I win the lottery) and your info has made it so much easier for planning.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all again for your advice. This tip to Turkey has me a bit addled as I am learning and re-learning about this wonderful melange of natural beauty, history, religion, and culture. (I have not studied the Hittites since the Iron Age.)

Dear Other:

I found you and your work on Amazon and your book of poetry sound most interesting. And it looks like you put your family to work on the illustrations.

We will be in Istanbul for one night on October 15 and then again from October 29 through November 5.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 11:36 PM

Adu, thanks again. Yes, i used the photographs of my wife and the paintings and photographs of my architect daughters. I thought it more meaningful than just honorable mentions. (also for my peace of mind)

If you take last year as an example, your timing seems perfect. Last year the temperatures were around 65-75 in the daytime and there was little precipitation. However, if i remember the earlier years, the time could be quite a bit cooler, especially in Cappadocia and more rainy in Istanbul.

You should be able to swim in warm seas in the Mediterranean where day temperatures will reach 80 some days.

Your only issue will be the short daylight hours.

If you drop me a note with your hotel info, we could maybe arrange to meet. There is also the possibility that we will be travelling on the Med coast about the same time. We will be visiting Carrie of Canada hotel in Cirali whom we met at a Trip Advisor lunch last year, and hopefully jean (Villa Rhapsody) of Kaya Koy and Dudissimo the DE for Gocek, whom we never had a chance to meet.

Our main aims are to visit various historic and natural sights we have missed in the region and try to reach some poor mountain villages where we can distribute some toys and games for kindergarten and elementary school children.

OC
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 12:18 AM

Adu go with the kneepads. And please post pictures.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Other

Thank you for your generous hospitality. We will be staying at the Canada Hotel, as well, in Cirali Otober 20 -23.

I am not concerned about the short days, since we are short as well.

And I am sure your philanthropic largesse is greatly appreciated.

Cold

I am also sure you wear your knee pads when performing your version of philanthropic largesse.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 02:51 AM

Adu, thanks for solving one of life's mysteries for me. Can't yet figure out what a tall day is like, but i will eventually find out i hope.

Cold, i guess it was the knee pads that caused you to suffer from the heat at Cappadocia.

If we can make it to Cirali at the same time and are successful in doing the papparazzi bit, i will post a photo of Adu sun bathing with the knee pads, which he now will surely take with him on your well-respected advice.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 03:03 AM

Keiracaitlyn,

thanks for the compliment.

i am glad that you can dig through the trash that i write to come up with the words of wisdom hidden in the morass.

I hope you can make it to Turkey earlier, and if you have won a reasonable size lottery will love to meet you.

In any case, keep on reading because there will be newer trip reports from travelers and hopefully i will be able to follow the changes in things which affect travelers and advise accordingly.

Here's a new pice of news:

A very significant sarcophagus was discovered by smugglers through the basement of a house in Milas (between Bodrum and Bafa). Apparently they somehow found some indication of it, purchased the house for a high price two years ago and had been slowly digging through some ancient marble walls.

Apparently, they got away, possbly with whatever was in the sarcophagus. But the sarcophagus itself is a thing of beauty with statues, etc, close to the famous ones in the Istanbul archeological museum. It could also mean that there is an important necropolis no one knew about, buried under tht part of Milas town.

I do not know if and when this will be opened for public viewing but will post here when.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

If we can make it to Cirali at the same time and are successful in doing the papparazzi bit, i will post a photo of Adu sun bathing with the knee pads, which he now will surely take with him on your well-respected advice.

I just changed my travel plans.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Adu, did you know that cold starting posting his hight on other threads, just to spite you? Later he tried to correct his slight by using punctuation marks in a less common, historic way, but i can see through him.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Cold is Canadian, thus he has very little else to live for.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Which is why I am taking Cairo taxis. Goodbye all.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM

cold, please don't! not that! do not take Cairo taxis!
i withdraw everything i said. i am sorry. tell us "it is not goodbye!"