Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Miranda del Castañar, La Alberca, Ciudad Rodrigo as day trip in November from Salamanca?

Search

Miranda del Castañar, La Alberca, Ciudad Rodrigo as day trip in November from Salamanca?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all.

I am planning my next trip to Spain with my sisters. I would like to do a day trip from Salamanca. Maribel suggests the above (total driving time about 4 hours). We would do the trip in that order and stop in Ciudad Rodrigo for a leisurely lunch (thinking of the Mayton (http://www.ciudadrodrigo.net/mayton/), but open to suggestions for a GREAT Sunday lunch).

My only concern is that we will be doing this trip the last week in November and I notice the road weaves through the mountains in parts, on very minor roads. Will I have a problem with ice and rain? How challenging is the driving?

Regards Ger
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 03:54 PM

The drive is VERY challenging specially between la alberca and miranda. I don't drive but I did it with a cousin from Salamanca. He took me on a tourist day trip and I almost got seasick. It was in July so I suppose it won't be easier in November. We still have quite good weather now, but no one knows, usually it's very cold in november there.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 04:31 PM

central spain, and especialy around the salamanca area suffers severe fog at certain times of day.( i tried to take my mom there twice from madrid flight landing in winter and never made it!)

just be sure it has burned off before you start out and don't come back too late.
remember also, sunday p.m driving is a bummer going back towards the larger cities.calculate extra time.

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kenderina and lincasanova.

Hmmm .... I am wondering if I should consider something less challenging? I am OK with challenging drives, but have gotten myself into some "interesting" situations driving on minor roads through the mountains in Spain! I don't want to scare my dear sisters witless

Perhaps a day trip to Zamora would be a better idea? Any other suggestions?
I am planning to bring them to Segovia on Monday on the way to Madrid airport.

Its so great to get expert local advice from you guys so I don't do something silly!

Regards Ger
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Avila can be a good day trip. And also Bejar, which is near the ones you said before but in a major road. You can go to Ciudad Rodrigo too, it is a major road also and maybe get to the border of Portugal and do some shopping
Anyway, if you're going by car you can decide on the spot , if the weather is fine..you can do what you thought first. If it is not, don't leave the major roads and you will be fine.
Caceres is beautiful but maybe it's a bit too far for a day trip though I know some people that did it.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

I had thought of Avila, but was there last month and while it is still a possibility, I would like to see something new myself.

Caceres – what a wonderful town. I visited about 18 months ago, when I explored Extramadura. An excellent suggestion and I will check out the driving times. Bejar, I don't know, so I will check it out.

This is a Sunday drive, so I assume most shops will be closed? Are there any towns in Portugal, just over the border that you would recommend?

I’d like to keep total driving time, from and back to Salamanca, to under 4 hours, preferably three, as I’ll be doing all the driving.

Good advice re weather: I suppose I should have a “Plan A”, if the weather is good, and a “Plan B”, if the weather does not co-operate.

I want to show my sisters “Spain off the beaten path” - the small towns and villages, but without getting myself into trouble with difficult driving, if possible. Given questionable weather, where would you bring neophytes to discover, and fall in love with, the heart of Spain, in November?

Many thanks for your advice

Best regards Ger
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

I checked out Caceres, but it is a bit too far for a day trip.

I think I will put two plans together, one for good weather and one for bad.

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Yes, that's a good thing to do when travelling in winter Another suggestion for you, but this one is not even a day trip because it's very near from Salamanca (around 20 km) : Alba de Tormes. It's the birthplace of Teresa de Jesus. A quaint little village and if you like ceramics they are famous for that. A lot of beautiful churches (very old ones!).
It's really "off the beaten track" and I like it !!
In fact, most of Salamanca province is off the beaten track because it is the province with the highest number of villages in Spain..but most of them are tiny, so they are not very known.
And even in the city, Salamanca, there are places where the tourist don't go and it's strange because they are in every guide of Salamanca San Marcos church as an example. And also San Martin , which is just besides Plaza Mayor and no one seems to notice it's there. It's the oldest church in Salamanca.
Go inside any bakery and ask for "obleas". It's one of my favourite things to eat there, hahaha. They are not sweet nor salty..just an special texture
If I remember something more I'll tell you
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 08:12 AM

Hi Ger,

Zamora is pretty close to Salamanca. It has an interesting Cathedral and a very interesting Holy week museum where they store the floats that go out on Holy Week. I don't know if it's open on Sunday though.

There is a nice Parador in town where I'm sure you could have lunch.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kenderina and Cruiseluv!