On the road to Segovia

Search

On the road to Segovia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the road to Segovia

We really appreciate all the help we have received from the Fodorites in planning our first trip to Spain. There is so much to see in the area NW of Madrid that we need some help organizing (so we are not back-tracking and losing time) and prioritizing (so we have time to enjoy it and not rush through everything). With that in mind, on a Friday in mid-May we are considering travelling from Barajas Airport to El Escorial in the morning and continue on to Avila that afternoon to spend the night at the Parador. Saturday morning we would go to La Granja and el Alcazar and stay at the Hotel Infanta Isabel. Sunday we would relax and walk and drive around Segovia. On Monday we return to Madrid to see sites there.

Is this too much to try to see comfortably in three days?
Is a rental car necessary for this itinerary or should we use the train and bus?
How far is La Granja from Segovia?

Thanks again for your assistance!

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 07:23 AM

I think that your itin is pretty good as long as you understand that you will spend very little time in Avila. It is a beautiful place, but I also only spent an afternoon there and thought that was quite enough for my tastes (though I am dying to go back for personal reasons).

You will want a car for this trip, as if you are depending on buses and their schedules, you will be dissatisfied. Also, I do not know of any that make the direct connections you need. A car is definitely the best idea for you. Ask the hotel if they have parking. If not, check out maribel's webiste (I think it is maribelsguides.com) as it has everything under the sol.

Don't forget to eat at Candido while in Segovia and go read ekscrunchy's post entitled "Pedraza de la Sierra. With notes on Toledo, Caceres, Jarandilla la Vera and Segovia." It will probably help you a bit with the area and it is a great read.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 03:43 PM
gray_lady

My recollection is that La Granja is 8 or 10 km south of Segovia, and it is well worth a half day. The buildings and gardens are magnificent. One possible adjustment to your plan would be to drive to La Granja on your way from Segovia to Madrid. You could then take the scenic 2 lane rte. 601 before joining Autopiste (A5) on your way to Madrid. In Segovia, be sure to walk down to the aqueduct in the evening to see it in the sunset -- just follow the street which runs along the side of Infanta Isabel.

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:28 PM

Distance from Segovia to La Granja --> 11Km, the road is pretty good.

The N-601 road is very scenic, really impressive, but the road you have to join after "Puerto de Navacerrada" is the A-6 (not the A-5).

You'll enjoy the ride for sure.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Your trip is OK. Better rent a car at Barajas airport, which you can return at Atocha Railway station in the center of Madrid, later. There is a bus from Plaza de Colón to the airport.
It is important not to get lost, so get a good road map.
My eating places recommendations:
El Escorial: el Charolés, 918905975.
Avila: at the very Parador's restaurant. (The Parador has a Parking).
Segovia: JoseMaría, 921466017, valet parking.
La Granja de San Ildefonso, palaces and gardens, is 11 km. from Segovia, 15 minutes drive. Casa Zaca, 921470087, or La Chata, 921471500.
BOOK ALWAYS, you are in a summer weekend. In Spain we sit to lunch from 2.00 to 3.30 PM, and dinner from 9.30 on.

Beautiful towns around Segovia as Pedraza or Sepúlveda are worth visiting, but you have no time. Perhaps next time.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 01:10 AM

Hi Josele, I'd like to add a point to El Charolés in El Escorial:

Very nice old style restaurant, but in summer the red wine is really hot, and that'll destroy the joy of the meal. You better order a white one.

Also in El Escorial you can have a wonderful rice & lobster at Buganvilla & Hotel Botánico.

cheers
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:11 AM

Josemacall, El Charolés is already recommended....
Did not know about the wine, but being meats the specialities, I'd order red and put it a while in an ice bucket, rathar than having white. Rosé is another choice, it is always served cold.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:13 AM

Sorry, josemacall, I did not read the "a point" line.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 10:48 PM

No problem at all Josele, I'd just wanted to add the point.
The fact is that two years ago my wife and I took a dinner there which costed about 120€, and the wine (a bottle of Pesquera) was over 22º or 23º. The waiter was told about that and he apologized but said: "Well, the owner does not want to take any measure about the wine temperature, sorry".

Of course, the rest of dinner was perfect (we ordered both fish and meat)