mimi introduces grand daughter (11 years old) to London and Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking my grand daughter, age 11, to London and Paris. London was choosen because non stop flights were cheapest. We'll travel Eurostar over to Paris. Paris was choosen because she is taking French lessons in school and I am convinced an early exposure to Paris will be benefical to her. I took her mom to London and Fance when she was 13 and enough convidence and interest was ignited that she spend a summer in Europe after college.

Routing the trip through London is a good thing with a June 17th morning arrival. After 4 or 5 days in London (will use Priceline or a bed and breakfast site for accommodations). we'll head for Paris for 6-7 nights before returning to London a day before our flight back to JFK. With her mother we traveled through out France via the euro pass. This was a great time but older now I want to 'settle in" Paris. I have contacted Paris Attitiude for an apartment. So far what looks great is a studio on Rue de Lanneau in 5e conveneint to Maubert Mutualite Metro. It's a first floor unit so I am checking out its security.

I am interested in making this a low key kid friendly experience. Walking tour suggestions would be appreciated. And suggestions for little safe get away sites are welcome.

I'd like it to be about fitting in with the people and life style. Rushing from one place to another isn't my idea of vacationing. With my daughter we sat on park benches and had the best visits with people. Staying in the apartment should provide us with a feeling of returning 'home'. We'll familarize ourselves with the neighborhood grocery, bakery, cafes etc.

One extravgant event: Would the Eiffel Tower Restaurant be a worth while treat? Never ate there. I've been told viewing the tower at night is a must and would combine it with dinner.

Thanks for any input of what made your trips meaningful.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 11:53 AM

What a wonderful time you will have! I'm posting a link to my report of my trip with my 6 yr old granddaughter last April. Even though your granddaughter is older and some of what we did would not be of interest to her, I thought I'd include it since it seems that we have the same philosophy of traveling with granddaughters--not just about flying from one landmark to another.

Be sure to come back and post after the trip.

http://tinyurl.com/mkv9kd
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Some good advice often repeated on this forum - let her pick a few of your destinations. Maybe buy her a guidebook as a little advance gift (as if a trip to London and Paris weren't enough of a gift! What a nice grandmother!) and see what jumps out at her.

Don't be afraid to go back to something, either. My son was determined to see the Eiffel Tower, and we ended up going there twice (but only went up to the top once). We approached it from different directions each time. I'd rather have him leaving with the idea "that was fun, I hope I can come back sometime" than see everything on the list.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 12:35 PM

We really enjoyed lunch at Jules Verne at the Eiffel Tower - definitely a splurge but a memorable event. I recommend lunch because it is slightly less expensive and the view is amazing.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Hoe exciting to get replies and THANKS. Thankfully my grand daughter is enthusiastic about the trip. (One reason I choose under 13 years of age for the 'introduction')

Her mom is helping her practice the French that will commonly come up. I'll take care of conversing in London.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Grandmere, I am glued to your accounting of your trip. And diptyque candles! I light Feu de Bois whenever I use our gas firplace.
Can you share about the apartment or agency used. I am concerned about security.
I will continue to read and take notes.
Thanks
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We did the exact same trip with grandchildren 11 and 14. They did their own research as part of the planning and wanted to see the Rosetta Stone at the British Museum and see The Changing of the Guard in London; in Paris they requested seeing the Eiffel Tower and some of Impressionists' paintings at Musee d'Orsay. We added The Tower of London, Westminster Abbey and several Harry Potter sites in London and in Paris, Notre Dame, boat ride on the Seine and the Louvre. We moved quickly through the museums, seeing highlights. They loved all of the above.
The kids favorite foods were fish and chips and anything at Harrod's Food Hall in London and chocolate croissants,crepes of all kinds and baguette sandwiches in Paris, picked up as we walked along. We did not overload any days with sightseeing and left time for relaxing, walking through the neighborhoods, and some shopping.Seeing these cities through the eyes of a child is an incredible joy.
In London,Harry Potter's Track 9 3/4 is at King's Cross Station, next to St. Pancras where you'll get on the Eurostar to Paris.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 06:08 PM

Mimi67, we rented from vrbo, sight unseen, and it worked out very well. It is www.vrbo.com/58971 We wanted a one bedroom in the 6th, and it was reasonably priced.

It was on the ground floor but you had to walk through a secured courtyard to get to the apartment, and all the paned windows and doors opened onto yet another courtyard so we felt very safe there. I had some concerns initially about it being ground floor but when I saw the floor plan on the site, it allayed my concerns.

Happy planning!
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Grandmere, I contacted vrbo just to check out options and was promptly introduced to Thierry, an owner, who suggested an apartment in Marais district. I've never stayed on that side of the Seine. It sounds like the owner provides personal attention which would work nicely in the experience I want for my grand daughter(TE). In providing input as to places she would like ot visit, she requested picnicing under the Eiffel Tower. I don't think she will be disappointed if we aren't "under" but find a comfortable spot to view its grander.

To all repliers: Thanks for your comments. This forum is very helpful. It's great to learn and anticipate what children request like the Rosetta Stone. Books I'm finding helpful include Foder's "fun for all ages" series which in Paris with Kids and London with Kids clearly list places and activites available in each city.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 06:08 AM

Rather than dining at the Eiffel Tower, you might like Les Ombres in the Musee de Quai Branly. From there you get a view of the Eiffel Tower in all it's glory!

Prices are about the same, Branly may be a bit less expensive.

http://www.lesombres-restaurant.com/
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 06:53 AM

We took our 11 year old grandson to France and Italy 2 years ago. We began in Normandy, seeing many of the WWII sites. He loved this area and the countryside of France. In Paris he wanted to run up the stairs of the Eiffel Tower, no elevator for him! Also he loved some interaction with the kids. In Lux.Gardens there will be children that she may want to play with a bit. Biking at Versailles is fun. Austin loved playing soccer with children in Italy. They actually invited him to play when he watched their games. Food was a bit of a problem at times. The trip went so very well, and we talk about it often.

Next April it's his sisters turn to go. We've decided on London, where she wants to see some shows, then to Paris, then Milan on Easter. These trips peak so much interest in our grandchildren and creates a deep bond that is so important.

You'll have a wonderful trip!
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 07:11 AM

We took our son to London, Paris and the Loire Valley when he was 10yo. We included the Loire Valley because we wanted him to see something else than just big cities, and he did enjoy the castles.

While we included some "must-sees," such as the Rosetta Stone, other sites we based on his interests. He was fascinated by James Bond and spies at the time, so we took the LondonWalks Spies tour. It was more focused on real-life spies, such as Kim Philby, but we were all very interested (I had told him a lot about Kim Philby before the trip).

Before the trip, he and I read the Hunchback of Notre Dame. It made us appreciate our visit to Notre Dame even more, and we also ended up visiting the Pantheon, because DS wanted to see where Victor Hugo was buried.

In London, he wanted to have a typical tea, but we didn't want to do the high-end tourist variety. So we had a late lunch tea at Richoux, where DH could have a more typical lunch, and DS and I had tea and tea food.

Because DS also loves the Impressionists, we spent a morning in Montmartre. We used the Rick Steves walking tour of the area, and saw where Van Gogh lived and painted, and others as well. That fit in well, of course, with our visit to Musee d'Orsay.

We're big foodies, so we took DS to a 1* Michelin restaurant. Not for every kid, of course, but he loved it and appreciated the special experience. We also had as many crepes from street-side stands as we could fit in.

I also introduced DS to French macarons. We had a quest, while in Paris, to try macarons from as many patisseries as possible. That was very fun!
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM

I'm sure the Marais will be a good place to stay; I want to learn more about that part of Paris myself one of these days.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

I'm ready to book.......the Marais rental..and grooving.
All suggestions and comments about London and Paris are very helpful and appreciated. My daughter just called and introduced me to the Ronald Dahl Museum in Great Missenden (about 20 miles NW of London). Has anyone visited?
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM

Did a similar trip with stepdaughters 11 and 14 and they loved it - but Paris even more than London. They loved the chance to use their French - esp in restaurants, since the waiters made a big fuss about their French an being able to order properly - rather than just searching for fast food joints (yes - there are some in France).

In London LOVED Covent Garden, the Tower,boat ride and exploring Hampton Court Palance - and a bunch of Museums. In Paris they loved Musee D'Orsay, Tour Eiffel, Pont Neuf (they saw a fashion shoot), exploring a lot of trendy shops and especially the Musee Cluny.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 01:47 AM

mimi, if "under" the Eiffel Tower proves too crowded with people queuing to go up, people trying to sell you stuff and so on, then of course you have the whole of the Champs de Mars to picnic in. Once when I was there I saw some pony-driven carriages:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrick...7601670143924/

but maybe an 11-year old would think that for teeny-tinies only.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 08:19 AM

This thread is wonderful. We just bought our plane tickets for a trip to London, Paris, Alsace with our 2 daughters, aged 10 & 11, in June. Husband and I have been to Paris, but I am a newbie to London. Love the Harry Potter ideas. I will check back for any other suggestions.

We will be in each city for 4 days, with a 2-3 day side trip to the Strasbourg area to catch up with out other daughters, who are touring with a choir. I have been on the parisvacation rentals site for Paris rentals. Any recommendations for family friendly lodging in London?
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

CarolineM - I'm still looking in London for a bed and breakfast that is convenient to the underground. A friend suggested tripadvisor.
You will probably be reserving a trip with Euro Star found cheaper tickets on www.paristrain.com The site looked interesting for loads of info regarding transportation.
Happy trails.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 02:52 AM

mimi--A B&B agency I've used twice is At Home in London. Don't know how far from a tube stop you count as convenient, and not sure how many of their homes would suit your sleeping needs, but you might have a look at their places. The staff has been most helpful in my dealings with them.
http://www.athomeinlondon.co.uk/
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 03:56 AM

London: A really great place for a casual tea in a unique setting would be the Orangery at Kensington Palace. She will be amazed at the food courts of Harrods. Take the elevator to the 'Pet Shop' in Harrods too. You never know what might be found there. Consider seeing a show in the West End. Don't forget to buy ice-cream at intermission.

Paris: Have you considered a water tour down the Seine?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -