Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Milestone Birthday Trip-Where Would You Go?

Aug 1st, 2014, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

My DH and I are both celebrating milestone birthdays in 2015. He told me we could go anywhere I want, so now I'm starring to mull over the possibilities.
My top picks right now are:
French Alps (including Annency) and Paris (all roads lead to Paris)
Dordogne for a week and then maybe the Loire Valley and Paris
or....Rome and the Amalfi Coast

I would love suggestions or ideas of where YOU would go in France (really all of Europe) for a special trip. Also, your thoughts on my potential picks.
Note: we have already been to Provence 3 times, Alsace this past Christams and will be in Normandy/Brittany in September.
Aug 1st, 2014, 03:14 PM

Posted by: chutney on Aug 1, 14 at 7:06pm

What month is your birthday trip?

Cycling and food are two of your interests per your profile. Burgundy and/or Belgium would be hard to beat.
Aug 1st, 2014, 03:14 PM

We loved Annecy and stopped in Lyon on our way to Paris. I would definitely recommend that.

What time of year is this trip?
Aug 1st, 2014, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention timing of trip. We usually plan around September (which is my birthday month and a good month to travel in a france) but not cast in stone.
I also forgot to mention that we have been to Burgundy. I love France and spent 7 years there as a child so have a great affinitiy.
Aug 1st, 2014, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Judy,
I am considering a train from Paris to Aanency for a couple of nights and then renting a car and driving to Chamonix for a week.
Aug 1st, 2014, 05:25 PM

Our 25th anniversary and 50th birthdays were within a few months of each other. Our decision was easy- Paris. What better place for a celebration? Best restaurants in the world. Champagne country an easy train ride away. Never at a loss for things to do or see. We just spent our 30th ann. in Rome and on the Amalfi Coast. Can't go wrong there either.
Aug 1st, 2014, 06:26 PM

We just made this decision for my milestone B-day and a milestone anniversary...Amalfi Coast and ending in Rome won out. Paris and Champagne was a close second.
Aug 1st, 2014, 08:52 PM

September great for potential itineraries; one trip to Paris had us over to Reims then to Epernay where we stayed at Royal Champagne, a lovely Relais & Chateaux property. But that led to Loire and you've been there. Or did it lead us to Burgundy from Dijon, am mixing up trips, sorry. We are planning for next September Paris-Limoges-Bordeaux-Sarlat-Rocamador-Toulouse having yet to explore the Perigord/Languedoc regions.

Aha, so should Amalfi Coast win out; while staying in Sorrento was extremely convenient to Pompeii, Capri, and Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Maiori, my #1 heart's desire would be to stay (perhaps 3 nights or hopefully more) at the spectacular Sirenuse in Positano. In Rome explore Borghese Gallery, the Campanile Museum sitting atop the Forum, of course the Pantheon w/ coffees at St. Eustache just behind. Staying in Piazza Navonne area puts all in walking reach as well as the Tiber and the Vatican.

Or, how about 5 days in Paris, then 5 days in Rome? Went for our 60 & 65th. We had been to both but needed more exploration time in these cities (Musee des Arts Decoratifs w Lanvin apartment good spot to start, lunch at Grand Vefour too) In Rome, Borghese Gallery, Piazza Navonna, Pantheon w/ coffee at wild and crazy & delicious Cafe St. Eustache just behind; Capitoline Museum sitting atop the Forum, not always seen first couple times here, Appian Way, etc. Always so much to see. For our 70th & 75th going w/ kids and grandchildren to Maui & Kauai, but still dream of taking our oldest granddaughter to Paris w/ us some day.
Aug 2nd, 2014, 04:29 PM
ira

Hi chut,

A week in Paris

A week in Copenhagen would be nice, too.
Aug 2nd, 2014, 04:38 PM

I did Paris and Provence for my 50th and had an awesome time. Paris, Arles, Avignon, Villeneuve - lovely in the fall!
Aug 3rd, 2014, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Obviously, I have lots of time before making a decision. I think the research is half the fun!
I brought up Rome and the Amalfi coast to my husband yesterday and his response, "we've already been there." I think he is interested in exploring new places, so the Italy trip may have to wait for a couple more years till we get the France bug out of our system.
I've been doing a lot of research this weekend on the Dordogne area. I love the castles on the hilltops (reminds me of the Luberon) and the medieval villages. I found a vacation rental that in really like in Beynac : Homeaway #3009050. We like to cycle and there is a 28km bike path nearby.

So, I'm back to my two original possibilities:
French Alps - natural beauty (we spent two weeks in Switzerland about 25 years ago and I still can see the moonlit Jungfrau from our balcony in Muren). We live in Florida, so the cooler weather is also appealing.

Dordogne- the history, ambience and FOOD! Plus we could also spend a few days in the Loire valley or the Languedoc area after a week in Dordogne.

Both trips would end in Paris for about 4 or 5 days.

Thanks again