Milan: Yes or No??

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 09:05 AM
inor

Milan: Yes or No??

We will be flying into Milan this spring on our way to the Lake District. I see that the City of Milan is far from the Airport and an expensive cab ride. Is there any place else to spend our first night that is near the Milan airport, or at least on the way to the Lakes? Or do you recommend spending 2 nights in Milan?

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 09:50 AM
jacquie

Instead of getting the taxi, you can get a train from the airport to Cordona station and from there get a taxi to your chosen hotel. I recommend you spend at least one night in Milano, as although it's not considered to be one of Italy's top attractions, there's enough to warrant a day or so. After all the negative stuff I'd read/ heard about it, I was pleasantly surprised when I stopped off there both last year and this year. Sorry I can't help you with a hotel on the way to the lakes. Enjoy your trip.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 10:42 AM
wendy

Milan is worth at least two full days. It's a very elegant city. The Duomo is gorgeous and the Last Supper is magnificent. Take a stroll through the grounds of Castello Sforzesco. The shopping plaza Galleria Vittorio Emmanule is beautiful, but I think the jewel in the crown of Milan is the opera, La Scala. If you can get tickets, even standing room only, which are about $3 each, your stay in Milan will be complete. Have fun!

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 01:56 PM
howard

Here's another strong vote for a day or two in Milan. The Duomo (Italy's largest and, I think, its most magnficent) is definitely at the top of the list--and make sure you climb to the top. <BR>I endorse Wendy's list and add the following: <BR>1. If you can't get a ticket for a performance at La Scala, at least go to the adjacent museum which includes a stop at the opera house. <BR>2. Make sure you stroll Via Manzoni, probably the fashion capitol of the world. (I'm surprised the two previous posters didn't mention it!) Even if you don't buy a thing--it's expensive!--it's definitely worth a stroll. <BR>If you have any questions about Lake Como, we were there in early October and loved it!

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 07:25 PM
Rex

By "Lakes", do you mean only Lake Como? How many nights there (or other lakes also?) and where after that? <BR> <BR>From Malpensa, it is a very short trip to the town of Como itself. I think it's considerably shorter say, than O'Hare to downtown Chicago, so for sure, you don't need a place to stay "in between" Malpensa and Como (if that's where you're headed). <BR> <BR>If you're headed east - - to Lake Garda, you will have to at least "pass through" the the northern suburbs of Milan. and I agree, that as long as it's convenient, there is much in milan to merit a day or even more. But if you're only headed to the Lake Como area, then on northward - - and even if you're coming back to Milan (Malpensa) to fly home, then going INTO the city of Milan itself IS backtracking, and you shouldn't beat yourself up if you DON'T go there - - and leave it for some other time. <BR> <BR>More details about what you might be cutting out by going into milan would be helpful to help you with a value judgment.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 08:28 PM
mk

If you fly into Linate instead of Malpensa, tht will will closer to Milano.