Reload this Page >

Milan - Lake Como - Lake Lugano - Lake Brienz

Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Folks,

we are planning a 10 day trip to the above area in late July. Looking for suggestions on how to structure this trip and where to spend most of the time and stay, will be travelling with 2 teenagers. Especially thinking what part of lake como to stay at.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 05:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where to stay anywhere depends on your sightseeing plans and your mode of travel... and then the availability of the type of lodging you want in your budget range. If you're talking about July 2022, you may be a little late in booking lodging.

Four places in 10 days isn't very long anywhere, so staying close to what you want to see/do is important. If you have to return to Milan at the end, I'd skip Brienz. It's a nearly 4-hour drive or 3.5 hour train ride from Lugano. If you were thinking of renting a car in Milan and returning it somewhere in Switzerland, find out what the one-way surcharge will be... It's usually huge.

Considering only MY interests and short stays in each place... In Milan, I'd want to be in the area between the Duomo and the Castello. At Lake Como, I'd pick the mid-lake area (Menaggio, Varenna, Bellagio, Tremezzo). Of these four towns, only Varenna-Esino has train service but not direct service to the town of Lugano. You'd have to go back to Milan -OR- you could ferry to the town of Como and take a direct train to Lugano from there. At Lake Lugano, I'd stay in Lugano or perhaps Paradiso.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 07:59 PM

I agree that you have too many places for 10 days for a relaxing holiday.

There are buses from Menaggio on lake Como to Lugano if you don't have a car (which isn't necessary for your plans).

sbb.ch/en will show you how to get to Brienz if you decide to include that destination.
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 07:39 AM

Will you fly in and out of Milano Malpensa?
Doi wou want toi visit the city of Milan or only the 3 lakes?
Do you wnat to STAY along Lake Brienz (Interlaken, Boenigen, Ringgenberg, Niederried, Oberried, Iseltwald, Giessbach, Brienz) or will this area serve as a BASE FOR TRIPS into the mountains (Brienzer Rothorn, Jochpass - Titlis, Gelmerbahn, Grimsel Pass, Rosenlaui, Grosse Scheidegg, Schynige Platte, Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg, Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, Trummelbach Falls, Beatus Caves........)?

The Southern Ticino area (Lugano) offers much more things to do and to visit than Lake Como.
Menaggio - Lugano: bus about every 2 hrs; 1 hr journey.
Como San Giovanni railway station - Bellagio: bus every hr, 1 hr journey
Milan - Varenna: train every 1-2 hrs, 1 hr journey
Varenna - Bellagio - Menaggio: ferries at least every hr, 30 min journey
Milan - Como San Giovanni: trains about every 30 min. Journey time: local train 40 min; Eurocity with huge supplement 55 min
Milan Malpensa airport - Como Lago: trains about every 30 min, change at Saronno. Journey time 60-80 min
Lugano - Brienz: trains every hr, change at Lucerne, 3 1/2 hrs journey. Much nicer itinerary: via Goeschenen - Postbus - Stein Glacier - Meiringen (4 hrs journey).