Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Milan: La Scala directly to the airport - is this doable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a showing of Don Giovanni at La Scala next Sunday, Feb 7th at 15:00. The show is 3 hours 15 minutes long. We have a domestic flight to Vienna at 20:55. Can we make our flight and see the show?

Important questions:
-I realize this is Italy, but it's also Milan; how reliable are the airport trains?
-How late do operas ACTUALLY start when they're scheduled for 15:00?
-Sounds like there's an airport train that leaves from Milan Cadorna at 18:20 and 18:50 that takes 40 minutes. Does this run on the same schedule on Sundays? How long does it take from the end of that train to the check-in counter at Niki?
-Milan Cadorna is a 1km walk west from the operahouse, correct?
-Where can we leave our luggage that wastes as little time as possible once the opera is over?
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 01:18 AM

According to the Le Nord time table, http://www.lenord.it/en/orari_e_news/post.php the Feb 7 Malpensa express leaves at :00 and :30, so 18:30 and 19:00 seem to be the choices.

So the best case, if you can actually catch the 19:00 train, would get you to the Malpensa train station at 19:36. Then you have to make your way to the check-in counter with luggage with a hope catching the 20:55 plane? Whoa, is it realistic even under the best case?

A taxi direct from La Scala (if you can find one) to Malpensa would probably cut another 15min.

I would definitely have a reliable Plan B...

The airport site says: http://www.sea-aeroportimilano.it/it...sx_infoviaggia

A che ora devo presentarmi al check-in?
Per i voli nazionali devi presentarti ai banchi check-in almeno un'ora prima dell'orario di partenza previsto.
Per tutti gli altri i bisogna invece arrivare con almeno due ore di anticipo.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:10 AM

Most trains in Italy are pretty reliable. For a flight within Europe I'd say arriving at the airport 1936 for a 2055 flight is perfectly doable...
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 06:36 AM

I can tell you that there is no luggage storage at Cadorna station.
You can check luggage at Milan Central station. The problem is that you may have to wait in a line to retrieve the luggage. Is your hotel close by ? They could hold the luggage after you check out for a few hours.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 06:47 AM

I wanted to add that there is a cloakroom at La Scala and perhaps you could leave your luggage there. It might be a good idea to email and ask them. They could also tell you if the performance starts on time.
You can see the train schedule at www.malpensaexpress.it.
Hopefully, it can work out for you. If not maybe you could see at least part and leave at intermission.