Search

Milan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Baja

Milan

I will be flying into Malpensa airport from Miami on Sunday, 25 November - the busiest travel day of the year I'm told. My flight into Miami (American) is due to arrive at 3pm and the flight to Milan (Alitalia) is due to leave at 5pm. <BR><BR>With the new security measures, do you think this is enough time between flights? (I will preclear US customs and immigration prior to arriving in Miami.)<BR><BR>Also, I will be staying at the Four Seasons in Milan. I gather that it is one of the top hotels there. I would like to try taking the subway/metro from Malpensa to the hotel. What stop would I get off at and how far is it from the hotel? Is it safe? When I was in Rome, I was warned not to take the subway!!<BR><BR>What about taking a taxi from the airport?<BR><BR>(This is an all expense paid business trip but I don't want to "waste" company funds.)<BR><BR>Would appreciate any good advice.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Vita

I had a similar situation in October. I flew out of Dulles on United and connected in Newark with Alitalia. Even though my luggage was checked through to Rome, I had to go through check-in again in Newark to get my boarding pass for Alitalia. Alitalia wouldn't let me though security without one. It made me a little tense but I still made it in plenty of time. You might want to call American about making arrangements to get your Alitalia boarding pass before getting to Miami or to see if Alitalia has automated check-in. It might save you some worry. <BR><BR>The other thing is, given all the problems the airline industry has had lately, especially American, I don't know if the airports will be as crowded as they normally are this time of year. I don't mean that as a criticism of American, just an observation.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Nan

There is a bus service from Malpensa into Milan that will drop you off at the train station, where you can take a cab to your hotel. Or you can arrange transportation from your hotel.<BR>You should check with the airlines or a travel agent, not this site to be sure you have time between planes.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 12:54 PM
GAC

1. I don't believe that American and Alitalia have through check-in arrangements which would enable you to avoid checking in with Alitalia at Miami. (Such thru-check in is available only between Delta and Alitalia, pursuant to their new code-sharing and marketing alliance). <BR><BR>2. A taxi from Malpensa to downtown Milano will cost you 150,000 lire. The Malpensa Express and Malpensa Shuttle buses leave every 20 minutes for the Milano Stazione Centrale (Central Train Station), and cost only 8,000 lire. From there, you can take a taxi to the hotel.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 10:42 PM
xxx

Sorry, Baja, but taking the metro from Malpensa to the Four Season just doesn't make sense-- take a taxi! ( It would be like having a meal at the most expensive restaurant and bringing your own cheap wine..). If your company wanted to save some $$$, they would have booked you another hotel. <BR><BR>The Four Seasons is the best hotel in town, plus is at the most sophisticated and expensive shopping area in Milano, Via della Spiga and Via Montepoleone. <BR><BR>Have a drink at the bar, and taste the delicious eggplant chips.. They are yummy, the best I ever had.. and complimentary!

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 04:52 AM
David

You will have more than enough time to make your transfer. Even with new security messures that is more than enough time.

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Betsy

I kinda agree with the poster regarding taking a taxi from Malpensa. I mean if your company is putting you up at the 4 Seasons well.... The cost of the Taxi ride will be about 80-90$ Taxis are of course willing and waiting right outside the terminal at Malpensa. Remember, you're going to be really tired. If you do want to save money though, I would do what the other poster recommended; take the bus tot he Central Station and the a taxi to your hotel. Getting the bus is easy. They sell tickets in the lobby, (Malpensa is not very big and it will be easy to find this once out of customs), and then just step outside and wait for the bus. They leave hourly, are quite comfortable and it takes about 45-60 min. to get into town. Once there, plenty of taxis will be waiting.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 01:53 PM
mshaw

What about the Malpensa Express?? There is an express train that leaves from the airport and takes you Milan. It drops you at a smaller train station(not Centrale)...I want to say Cardova..but I am unsure.Anyway the train makes 2 stops ,it gives instructions in Italian and English. There are taxis at the station to take you to the hotel. I find this far better than dealing with the Centrale station. Check out the Malpensa Airport on the net...I no longer have the exact URL but I am sure you can find it..It will have the timetable. The express is comfortable, fast, and a piece of cake...Maggie

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 02:15 PM
GAC

The Malpensa Express train to Milano Cadorna Station is a viable option to taxing a taxi all the way from Malpensa. Note, however, that the train is actually twice the cost of the regular bus service (a hefty $3.50 more, or less than 1% of the cost of one night at the Hotel Four Seasons Milano!). And you do avoid the crowds in the taxi line at the Stazione Centrale.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Walter

Malpensa Express Train: http://www.ferrovienord.it/webmxp/index.html Regards, Walter<BR>