Mignon in Sorrento

Sep 5th, 2001, 10:10 AM
michele

Mignon in Sorrento

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? I am looking for something basic, well-located,(close to town) and reasonabley quiet.

Thanks.

Michele

Sep 7th, 2001, 07:00 AM
beverlyd

Michele,

I haven't stayed there but on a visit to Sorrento this past May I checked out a few hotels for future visits. The Mignon Mueble (if that's the one you're referring to) is on a small side street off Corso Italia. Not sure about the noise level - it is only a half block from the main drag.

There was nobody at the reception area when I walked in but it was very pleasant looking and very clean. My overall impression of the public area was good...however, I didn't get to see the rooms. Hope this helps a little.

Bev

Sep 7th, 2001, 07:47 AM
michele

Bev,
Thanks. Where did you stay?

M.

Sep 7th, 2001, 01:37 PM
beverlyd

Michele, we stayed at the Villa di Sorrento. It's a three star that was OK, nothing special. We paid L200,000 per night for our double room. The room was a nice size and we had a small, step-out balcony. Actually a better description would be that the balcony doors are full-length (which allows in a nice breeze) but the part you step out on was small.

The best and worst part of this hotel is the location...very convenient to everything but also very noisy (at least the front rooms where our room was located).

Cleanliness was average, and the room was comfortable, but I'd say that service and upkeep could be improved. Service especially...the night we arrived the most sour looking man was at the front desk and over the next 3 nights he never cracked a smile. Several times we came back to the hotel and there was nobody at the front desk so we'd have to reach over the reception desk and grab our room key. This bothered me because I figured if I could do that so could anyone who walked in off the street. And some of the furniture and wallcoverings in our room were a bit worn and tired looking.

Overall, it's not terrible but Sorrento has so many choices I think you can do better if you're not looking last-minute.

Bev

P.S. The hotel is reviewed in Frommers but I don't remember the hotel having any web site.

Sep 7th, 2001, 05:19 PM
sandih

We stayed at the Hotel Villa Maria on Via Capo, 8. ($120.00 US for 3) The room was sparse but clean and had a balcony from which we had a spectacular view of the Bay of Napoli and Vesuvio.