Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Christmas/New Year's Eve & Boxing Day - What to Do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Chels

Hello, all, <BR> <BR>I will be in Rome Dec. 24 - Dec. 26. I will also be in Paris for New Year's Eve. A few questions for the experts: <BR> <BR>1) Do shops, tours, trains, etc. close or cease operating early on Christmas Eve in Rome? <BR> <BR>2) Do Italian trains run a regular schedule on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day and Boxing Day (Dec. 26)? Other than restaurant/church activity, is there anything else open on these days? <BR> <BR>3) As for Paris, do tours, attractions, etc. close early on New Year's Eve? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for the insight. <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR> <BR>Chels

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 10:08 PM
colby

im looking for the same info, can you email me if you get any good responses? <BR>ill let you know if i get any as well. <BR>thanks!

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Chels

I'll be glad to mail you any info I get. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>Chels

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Marian

I am searching for the same info-- restaurants, sights, trains etc. in Rome over Christmas. Anyone out there w/ info?

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Rhonda

I was in Rome over New Years last year. I think we arrived on the 27 and departed on New Year's Day. We did not experience any closures. There was a lot of activity through out the city as it was considered a holy holiday that year - Jubilee. I don't know if it will be different this year as it is not a year of Jubilee. They took their fireworks very seriously. I've never seen anything like it. The only holiday problem we encountered was that apparently everyone goes out to eat for New Years. We were turned away from every restaurant even the smallest pizzeria. Finally, a restaurant owner had mercy on us because he was expecting a large party later and let us in. Hence, make a reservation or plan on McDonalds. It was a memorable way to bring in the New Year to celebrate with a different culture. Have fun.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Chells

Thank you for taking the time to respond. <BR> <BR>-Chels

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:50 AM
Andrea

We took the train from Zurich to Milan on Christmas Eve, from Milan to Genoa on Christmas Day, and from Genoa to Nice on Boxing Day last year. So, I can confirm that the trains are running! Obviously, I wasn't in Rome, but all of the museums in Milan were open on Christmas Eve, if that helps - would lead me to believe that the situation is the same in Rome. Restaurants were open all days. Even if in the worst case scenario, some museums are closed, those few days can be a great time for just wandering around getting to know the city.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Chels

Thanks! <BR> <BR>-Chels