Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Might try to cram in a really quick trip to Oslo....

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 10:41 AM
AJ

I might try to get to Oslo in the next three weeks for a quick 6 day trip before starting a new project (Northwest has really cheap flights). <BR> <BR>Can I get to interesting places in Oslo and Norway quickly? Hotels? Sites? <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Sep 19th, 1999, 01:30 PM
Ada

AJ, <BR>I wouldn't spend more than 1 day in Oslo. The 2 sites in town which are my favorites are: The Vigeland Park, and the Munch museum (if you are an art lover). The other tourist "attractions" didn't attract me. <BR>I would, however, either drive or take the train to Bergen. The route (any route) is BEAUTIFUL. from there, depends if you drive or not, I would drive at least till Geiranger, see all the fjords on the route, don't miss the Jostedal Glacier (easiest from Briksdal). You could drive back to Oslo through Lom. I didn't mention all the sites on the route. Everything is absolutely beautiful. If you had more time, I would recommend going north to Alesund and Kristiansund. <BR>By the way, you can also fly to and/or return from Bergen. KLM (which is a partner company of Northwest) goes there regularly. <BR>I have been in Norway for 5 times. It is so beatiful, you won't regret it. Just don't waist your limited time on Oslo. You'll do much better by avoiding it altogether. <BR>Have a nice trip! <BR>Ada

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 06:43 AM
Vickie

In Oslo itself, Vigeland Park is a MUST see - it's amazing. You could spend half a day there, studying the details of the sculptures, getting the big picture and certainly, people watching. I wouldn't bother going to this local "attraction": the ski-jump - yeah, it's long and I wouldn't want to ski off it, but not worth a trip. Bergen is a good idea, as Ada said.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 07:29 AM
Bill Irving

On a prior Scandinavia trip, we spent 3 days in Oslo. Wished we would have had more time there. Go over to Bygdoy(SP?) & visit the Viking ship, maritime, & Thor Hyerdahl(SP?) museums. All are well worth it. Also, depending upon the weather, see the Open Air Museum, which contains historical buildings. Definetly see Vigeland Park & the sculptures. The Castle, & the Resistance(WWII) museum are also worth the time. Again, depending upon the weather, a boat ride on the Oslo Fiord could be enjoyable. Just enjoyed walking thru the town, along the harbor & the mall by the harbor. The Norwegian people that we came in contact with were very friendly. We stayed at the Cecil Hotel, part of the Rainbow chain of hotels. They had a very good smorgasboard breakfast. Again wished we had more time to explore Oslo, but also would have liked to have the time to visit other areas of Norway. That will be another trip.

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 01:28 PM
Carol Margiotta

Just returned from Norway on 9-29-99 and had a great time. DO NOT miss Bergen - it is the most wonderful small town. We went on a Fjord 4 hr. cruise - not to be missed. Prices are not cheap but well worth the expense. We stayed at the Rainbow Hotel after a night train ride from Oslo. The price included breakfast at a nearby hotel. We saw the beauty of the train trip when we were leaving Bergen. <BR>

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 03:27 PM
tom

agree that bergen is great but its a trip to get to. around oslo i would also recommend the museums a;nd also the tour of the harbor . cruising the harbor was great also visit the town hall

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 03:59 PM
Geoff

Two questions: <BR> <BR>To AJ - Are those Northwest fares as cheap as Iceland Air's current US$399? <BR> <BR>To those that have been there - What's the weather like about 3 weeks from now. I'm in the same situation and thinking of taking a quick jaunt either to Norway, or maybe Finland. <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 03:09 AM
Kaja

Geoff, the weather in Oslo right now is: rain and 54 degrees F. In about three weeks the temperatures can be lower, maybe around 40 degrees F or the same as today. <BR>I would guess anywhere between 40 and 60. <BR>Kaja

Old Oct 2nd, 1999, 07:10 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>AJ, I'd say Oslo for two days and Bergen for two or three. Bergen is a must and the "Norway in a Nutshell" train/boat/bus/train trip to Bergen from Oslo is great. Does take all day tho, but wonderful scenery. Nice people, language no problem, very expensive (but the scenery is worth it!) Have a wonderful trip and tell us about when you're home.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 09:48 AM
AJ

Geoff, the Northwest Airlines fares were $299 or $250 plus 10,000 miles. I'm still trying to get away, but may have to forget it because I'm waiting for a project to be firmed. <BR>