Midnight Mass at Notre Dame

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Europe for a delayed honeymoon. We plan to be in Paris from December 24 through 26. We hope to attend midnight mass on Christmas Eve at Notre Dame. Can I wear my normal travel clothes (pants and black tennis shoes)? What time will we need to arrive? Any other helpful information will be greatly appreciated.

Also we are concerned about things being closed during this time. We really want to vist the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre, among other attractions.

Thanks!
Carmand
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 09:14 AM

The Louvre is closed on the 25th, the Eiffel Tower is open . If you feel you travel clothes are respectful of the surroundings , and I don't see why they wouldn't be, then just relax.

No idea what time to arrive for Midnight Mass..but I'd make it earlier rather than later. Even our small church here fills up early
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:18 AM

Almost every public venue will be closed Christmas Day, except for the Eiffel Tower.

I haven't been to ND for that mass, but I'd suggest arriving around 10 to 10:30 pm at least. They start the vigil with choir at 11 pm, for one thing; there is usually a mass before that one, also, (at 8 pm) so you can't get there too early.

I don't think churches will kick you out for wearing inappropriate clothing, I guess it's a matter of what you feel is appropriate for a religious service, especially a special one. I am not even a believer and yet when I accompany my mother to a special church service, such as Christmas Eve, I wear at least a dress or skirt to show respect and because of the special occasion; I simply think it is appropriate societal custom. HOwever, in winter, you likely will have a long coat on anyway. You might consider some other shoes for winter travel other than black tennis shoes.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:12 PM

With the greatest of respect, are you going to Mass or to a fashion parade?

I've never encountered a European Catholic church operate a dress code, apart from the rules there used to be about head covering. And the range of clothing worn for Mass at Europe's major cathedrals and basilicas is huge.

What you wear for Mass is between you and God. And He, I suspect, is uninterested in what you wear to celebrate His birthday. But He might just prefer you gave money to the poor than bought an otherwise unnecessary dress.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:28 PM

I was in Paris on Christmas Eve 2 years ago and they were putting out the fences and starting to line up at Notre Dame around 6pm! Didn't notice what people were wearing because it was so rainy and cold.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the advice. I would love to wear something very special for mass, but I'll have to decide if it is worth packing something that I will only wear once.

We'll be in line early. The opportunity to attend Christmas mass in this wonderful cathedral is almost too good to believe.
Carmand