Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mid 20's first time in Paris - where to stay?!

Jul 31st, 2014, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

I'm traveling to Europe in September by myself and Paris will be my second stop of the trip. I'm planning 4 nights in Paris but having trouble figuring out where to stay. I would prefer to stay closer to the center of the city, but understand that's a bit pricy. Given that I'm a 25 year old female, my main concern is safety. I've read some concerning things about arrondissement's 9, 10 and 18.

Any recommendations on which arrondissements are safe, but easy access to all the tourist sites, things to see, etc. Bonus points for hostel/cheap
Hotel recs!!

Thank you!!
Jul 31st, 2014, 08:29 PM

Don't be concerned about safety in Paris. Any place in the center is safe. There are various hostels - you can find reviews on their web sites such as hostel world. The only hostel I know about and can recommend is Aloha Hostel in Montparnasse.

Here's a hotel right near Notre Dame. It's nothing to look at (think old world Paris shabby) but the one room I saw had a fabulous bathroom.

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/en...e-des-arts.php

For a young woman on her own a hostel is probably the best choice so you can meet other people.
Aug 1st, 2014, 10:22 AM

I wouldn't be dismissive about safety concerns, you do have to be sensible and there are areas where I don't think you should stay, especially if you are alone and plan to be out late at night. Partly because some areas are rather empty at night, there won't be people around and you may be far from a metro stop. Those are the main things I'd worry about. I don't know what you've heard about the 9th, in particular, though, that one seems odd to me as I stay there now and again. But the problem with arrondisement talk is that they are large enough that one area isn't the same as another within them, so to some extent, you can't talk about safety for an entire arrondisement. Same for the 18th.

Stay near the center then you shouldn't have problems on either point (access or safety). There are quite a few hostels, the MIJE chain in the Marais is good. And that would be a good location for you. The hostel on rue Mouffetard in the Latin Qtr (Young and Happy) is an excellent location (I stay near it) although I don't know its quality. I think it's supposed to be okay.
https://www.mije.com/
http://www.youngandhappy.fr/

You can get hostel reviews on some other websites to decide. like hostels.com or hostelworld.com maybe. You can find reviews for the Aloha on there also. Its location night not be what some people want as it's kind of farther to the center, although it's fine in general (definitely safe). It's a bit west of Volontaires metro stop in the 15th, which I personally wouldn't call Montparnasse since it's west of rue Vaugirard.