microfiber towels--what's the fabric?

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Escritora

microfiber towels--what's the fabric?

Can anyone who uses those towels that speed hair-drying time tell me what their fabric content is? I know they're microfiber, but I need to know whether they contain any acrylic. (I'm allergic to acrylic fabric, so this is important.) Thanks!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 10:00 AM
JOdy

Hi,
I looked on a package of microfiber towels I had it at said it's 80% polyester and 20%polyamide, whatever that is. I don't know if all microfiber is the same . Hope this is smoe help

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Ed

Believe polyamide is Nylon ... or, rather, Nylon is a polyamide.

twenj

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Escritora

Many thanks, Jody--and especially Ed, who obviously paid WAY more attention in science class than I ever did!

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Christina

Microfiber is a technology (very thin filaments) used only for polyester, I think. Sometimes it is mixed with other fibers, such as nylon, to add strength in products such as towels. I don't think you'll find it mixed with acrylic as acrylic doesn't have properties that you would want to mix with microfiber for any reason that I can think of. (I have a degree in textiles and think this is the latest, but you should check the product you buy, it should have content labeling; if it only says microfiber, that should be polyester alone).

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 03:12 PM
deb

This sounds like a great product and this posting introduced me to it. thank you. Where can one purchase microfiber towels and what do they look like? Do they resemble real towels or maybe like a child's handywipe used for diaper changing?

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Ed

More like a large lens cleaning tissue? Or a dish rag?

Certainly doesn't look like something that works as well as it does. Great for backpackers and folks staying in budget hotels. Even in four-star hotels the towels often don't do a good job drying long hair, or there aren't enough towels to dry bodies and hair, in which case the microfiber towel makes a good supplement.

You'll find a "travel store" in many towns and cities, and most would carry the item.

There are many online sources, including Magellan:
http://www.magellans.com/cgi-bin/mit...J&Args=&Pos=10

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Escritora

Boy, do I feel better now about what I feared was a dumb question! Thank you all for your help (who knew we had a textiles expert in our midst?)--and deb, fyi I found them today at Bed Bath & Beyond--instant gratification and no shipping charges.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Sue

FYI,these towels are also excellent for cleaning mirrors and windows. They just need to be damp and they clean and don't streak! Once over and you are done! Excellent!!

(not that this has anything to do with travel!!)

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 10:42 PM
xxx

Oh whew, Sue. Had this picture of you cleaning mirrors and windows in your hotel

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:28 PM
debbie

Thank you Ed and Escritora and yes, we've a Bed, Bath and Beyond nearby, this will be the easiest source to buy. Will check there first and then to Ed's good suggestions if no luck with first.

Escritora, what a pretty and unusual name. Since, in Italian, probably Spanish too, it means writer, are you one? Maybe parents? Just curious.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Alea Richmond

They also have them at Linens n' Things

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 11:47 AM
xxxR.xxx

Maybe Wanda's husband should buy some for a wrap.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Escritora

Didn't realize this had risen to the top again.

Debbie, in answer to your question: Yes, I'm a writer. Most of what I do is corporate communications and quasi-journalistic Web content, but I do earn some money through travel writing, as well. I borrowed from the Spanish, not the Italians, for my "nom de Net". Now the big question is whether I'm going to fall falt on my face when I write my first-ever article in Spanish from Oaxaca in November!

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Escritora

That should, of course, have been FLAT on my face. Perhaps I should regard English and not Spanish as my second language!