Reload this Page >

Michelangelo's David and other masterpieces in Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 10:15 AM
Jane

We are planning 3 days in Florence and I'm wondering which are the masterpieces we absolutely must see. I also want to guard against the disappointment I'm afraid I'll feel when I have to encounter a masterpiece amidst throngs of other tourists squeezing in to get a look. I saw the Pieta in the Vatican from a distance of about 50 feet due to crowds and it was behind a reflective glass. All the power and grace of Michelangelo was lost on me that day (good thing Bernini and friends were more accessible!). <BR> <BR>I've noticed other postings describing huge crowds and long waits to get into the Uffizi and Barghello, even first thing in the morning. Can anyone tell me their favorite Florentine masterpieces and when is the best time to see them? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your thoughts!

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 11:48 AM
Sheila

The Pieta, David and the Medici gallery plus the cathedral, the old bridge and the square at night. the Uffizi ithout hurry or crowds are simply wonderful.

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 12:16 PM
Anne

Jane, <BR> <BR>We were in Florence last May and went to see David in the late afternoon about 1 hour before the museum closed. We were practically the only ones there, just walked up, got a ticket with no waiting. It was great. During the day the lines were very long. By the way, David was spectacular! <BR> <BR>Anne

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 12:18 PM
cheryl

jane-- <BR> <BR>don't miss the Bargello--no lines and some of Michelangelo work that while not making up for your disappointment of not getting closer to the Pieta (I felt the same way--except in my case, there was scaffolding as opposed to crowds) will certainly offer to you some of Michelangelo's other works. The Accademia is a must--David is magnificent. Try getting reservations to the Uffizi and the Accademia--you can avoid the lines--enjoy your trip!-cheryl

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 12:58 PM
ellen

I highly recommend a visit to the Cloister of San Marco not far from the Accademia on the Piazza San Marco. You are able to view the monks' cells which were decorated with frescos by Fra Angelico - including the cell of the infamous Savanarola. It's a very peaceful place with a great sense of history. There is an amazingly beautiful large fresco on the ground floor, which I believe was painted by Ghirlandaio, which must be seen. <BR>Whatever you do, do not miss seeing the very famous Boticelli paintings at the Uffizi - La Primavera and the Birth of Venus. One cannot describe how moving they are to see in person. <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 03:14 PM
hans

All of the above suggestions are very good ones...one tip to make your trip to Florence more enjoyable is to make reservations for the musuems over the internet before you go. Even thought it costs more money to make them over the net, the jealous faces on everyone waiting in the lines as you walk to the front and straight in is well worth the money. More seriously, reservations are wonderful becuase you do not have to wait in line and with three days in Florence you will want to avoid waiting in lines as much as possible. Have a great trip.

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 03:29 PM
Jan

I too appreciate this info. <BR> <BR>Hans, how do you order the museum tickets on the internet. I have read about it but never found a site. Thanks <BR>

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 03:49 PM
Jane

Thanks to everyone! Hans, I'd also like to know how to order tickets online. <BR> <BR>Also, what is the crowd situation in those museums? Is late afternoon my best bet in general? I'd hate to have to peer through everyone's shoulders to see those beautiful Botticellis!

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 04:41 PM
howard

Jane, the website for ordering Uffizi tickets is: <BR>www.waf.it/museires.htm

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 04:50 PM
sandi

Regarding "disappointment" in great works of art due to crowds---I think you can pretty much focus on any great work of art regardless of thecrowd. Patience usually pays off when you spend some time focusing on the work instead of the people. In Florence, every museum had guards around (though not as many as in New york museums) who pretty much kept anything totally unruly from going on. The only distraction could be the number of people, but I found that focusing on the details of the work helped to ignore the crowd. Being prepared for a crowd would help...that is, expecting a crowd will make it easier to concentrate on what you want to see. And the unruly people dont spend as much time at each spot as those who want to study the work itself, I find.

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 06:38 AM
AJ

Jane, the Accademia is our family's favorite museum because it is very intimate. Even when crowded, you are extremely close to the David and other works. Just take a seat on one of the benches around the David and sit down and look. Crowds ebb and flow. David is high enough that your view won't be hindered. Take your time. <BR> <BR>The Uffizi is normally another matter.

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 07:06 AM
Carol

Jane: <BR> <BR>I feel even more strongly than Ellen does about the Cloister of San Marco. I went first thing in the morning, and there were only two other people there. I can only call the experience of seeing the frescos in situ a transcendent artistic experience. There are no other words for it. <BR> <BR>The Cloister is near the Accademia. Don't miss it.

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 09:18 AM
Bob

Just returned from Florence. We booked tix in advance over the internet for David and they worked great! The crowd was around the building at 1pm and we walked up with our confirmation and walked in. The Uffizi was easy to get into at night and we did not need advance tix for there but I would recommend them for a daytime visit. I have to say thought that the place had a great feel at night and crowds were not a problem.

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 09:27 AM
Beth

The Uffizi has a restriction on the number of people allowed in the building at one time. Although its still crowded, this does help avoid that feeling of being too crushed to see anything. We had reservations made over the web for the Uffizi at 3:30 PM. When we went in there was a line estimated to be about 90 minutes. I sure was happy to walk by that. We went to the Accademia at 5:30PM, also with reservations, but they weren't necessary as there was no line and the crowds weren't horrible. <BR> <BR>One thing I noticed in Italy, is it always seemed like the very large tour groups came through the sites in the morning. Lines at churches in Venice and Florence and Rome seemed to always be the worst at 10-11AM. I would schedule the less popular sites in the morning and the more popular ones in the afternoon. Although the Bargello closes at around 2, so you must do this one early. I didn't go there, but it seems people have told me the lines at the Bargello are not so bad. <BR> <BR>Have a great time.

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 12:25 PM
Steve C

We were in Florence last week. Uffizi was open until midnight Tuesday to Saturday & until 8:00 PM on Sunday. (closed on Monday) We went after dinner on Saturday night & walked right in.

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 05:04 PM
Sara

With respect to the "must sees," don't miss the Medici chapel, designed by Michelangelo and housing tombs carved by him. I had heard that it was closed, but it is not. (Was just there last week). It was not too terribly crowded; they only allow a certain number of people in at a time. We went around 10:30 a.m. and waited about 20 minutes to get in.

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 01:45 PM
Mia

If you're a Michelangelo fan, do not miss the Medici Chapel; the older chapel/tomb with his statues of Night, Day, Dusk, and Dawn are simply awesome. And because the chapel is only open half the day (mornings), most people miss it. When I was there last year, there were only 3 other people there and I got to sit and hang out for over an hour. <BR> <BR>Another small, intimate musuem is the Musee dell'Duomo (?), behind/across from the Duomo. Michelangelo's Florentine Pieta is there, just up a small staircase, out in the open, not encased in glass (you can walk around the whole statue). Not as exquisite as the one in the Vatican, but still an interesting masterpiece. And again, this small museum was practically empty. Have fun! <BR>

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 05:13 PM
NKB

Great suggestions. One other comment, when we were in the Uffizi there were a couple people with private tour guides. Although I don't know how much someone would pay, it clearly would be worth it if you can afford. The guides will stay with you all day if you want...and have great insight that you can't get from a book.