Search

Mews question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Shirley

Mews question

Okay, here are my next ignorant questions. What exactly is a mews? Maybe a pedestrian walkway? Also, what the heck is a "power shower"? I know to those of you in England this is common knowledge, but we foreigners don't have a clue. Thanks for your help.<BR>Shirley

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 05:57 PM
janis

A Mews is a group of houses around an open yard - sort of a high class alley. Some modern day Mews cottages are converted from the stables and out buildings of large houses. <BR><BR>A Power shower is a good thing. it is like a dedicated small water heater attached to a shower so you always have instant hot water.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Alec

'Mews' was originally a row of buildings where horses were kept. 'Mews' as part of a street name refers to a narrow street, often running at the back of main thoroughfare, where it was formerly lined with stables but now converted to residential use. In many fashionable districts of London, 'mews houses' are in great demand and command premium prices on the property market.<BR>'Power Shower' usually refers to a shower with an additional electrical pump to increase the water flow to compensate for the lack of water pressure in some buildings. You can often change the spray pattern or flow pattern (like 'pulsating' shower).

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 06:24 PM
c

I want to live in the Mews in the neighborhood behind Harrods a <BR>My friends who live in London,redid their bathroom in their 200 year old house-they put in a power shower(American Style shower)..<BR>RE: pedestrian walkways-<BR>in London, a subway is where you walk-usually a tunnel under the street<BR>the Tube,is the train that goes in the tunnels<BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Shirley

Thank you all for your responses. At least I won't be quite so ignorant when I arrive.<BR><BR>Shirley

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 06:52 PM
xxxx

Mews is what a lot of cats do.<BR>Power shower is a group of businesmen geting together for a group shower and discussing business in the morning.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:46 AM
Marita

I was just reading about mews yesterday somewhere on the web - hopefully I remember this correctly: mews were originally where the aristocracy kept their falcons when they were molting (losing their feathers) but eventually the buildings were used as stables. The Royal Mews behind Buckingham Palace have horses, carriages and cars of the Royal family

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Bobo

I read the mews today...oh boy...<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>John Lee Hooker was a great mews singer.<BR><BR>I joined Kiwanis and today I had to pay my mews.<BR><BR>I knew an angry woman once, man she had a short mews...<BR><BR>I'd like to take a Carnival mews someday...<BR><BR>I read that Nichole Kiddman left Tom Mews...<BR><BR>I like anything with beef, beef soup, beef mews, you name it...<BR><BR>Do anything, but lay off my blue suede mews...<BR><BR>They shouted me off stage once, oh the hisses and the mews...(I was starring in CATS)...<BR><BR>Remember the table hockey game from the 80's, mews-ball?<BR><BR>Mews life is it, anyway?