Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Metro/train to the citycenter of Frankfurt.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can I book my train/metro tickets from the airport to the city center. Is there a way to do that online or should I wait till I get there?
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 09:18 AM

Just go to the Regionalbahnhof statiion and buy a ticket from the RMV machine; you can ride the S-Bahn or the regional trains into the city.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much Russ! I will do that.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 10:53 AM

It is so easy - even someone with my history of constantly getting lost could do it.

Follow the signs to S Bahn and Hauptbahnhof (main train station). You take the escalator down to the trains and ticket machine.

At the ticket machine, the code for Frankfurt is 15. Buy the ticket and follow the signs to Frankfurt (I think it's platform #1). I ask people at the platform just to make sure I have the right train as there are many trains leaving the airport. Trains leave every 15 minutes from the airport.

The ride to the hauptbahnhof (main train station) is only about 10 minutes and from there you can get trams to all parts of the city.

Inside the train station (on the left as you enter the main door) is a TI in case you need any help getting to where you need to go after arriving at the train station.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you adrienne! I appreciate your efforts in pointing the way to the train in the airport.

We will be(My husband and I) spending one day in the city. We would like to explore around and visit the museums and other sights before returning to the airport for our flight departure to Russia.

Thank you all!
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 01:59 PM

I would recommend the Frankfurt walking tour. I took it last May and really enjoyed seeing a portion of Frankfurt and hearing about the history of the city. There were only 5 of us on the tour so we had the opportunity to ask lots of questions of the guide. You just show up - no need to book ahead.

http://www.insidertour.com/tours.php...itle/Frankfurt
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 09:41 PM

For going to the city, and also visiting some museums, consider getting the Frankfurt City Card from the info desk at the airport. For one person, it is 8.90 €, so cheaper than the all day ticket from the machines. It covers your transportation all day long in Frankfurt, you get 50% off at museums, you can use your credit card here and you don't have to mess around with the ticket machines.

If you just want a one way ticket to Frankfurt, there is a button on the machine that says "Frankfurt". No need to enter numbers, etc. There is also a button that says "Mainz" and one for "Wiesbaden". Makes getting a ticket easier. These machines will not take credit cards, you need small bills or change. For a single 3.80 ticket, you will need a 10 euro bill or smaller.

For the Frankfurt walking tour, you can also go directly to their own website - www.frankfurtonfoot.com
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 09:25 AM

That's very helpful! Thanks
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 09:40 PM

bookmarking, very helpful for me too.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 08:52 AM

This is very helpful.
Can anyone recommend a hotel at Frankfurt Airport that is accessible by foot or subway or train?
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 11:33 AM

It is better to stay in the city rather than at the airport. The trains only take 11 min. and so unless you are staying at the Sheraton, you may spend longer waiting on a shuttle than you would have taking a train to and from the city.

I could recommend 100's of hotels, but more information would be nice. Like dates, budget, a couple, a family or just friends?