Search

Method of Travel Inquiries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Method of Travel Inquiries

Hello,
We are finally getting to realize our life's dream and visit Ireland this June! We are flying into Shannon but staying in Killarney (four 4 days), then onto Dublin(for 3 days). I have gone online and tried to read about the trains and/or buses from the airport to our hotel in Killarney, but have not been able to find the correct information - are there buses/trains that can take us to Killarney from the airport? We're still debating whether to rent a car while in Killarney - we've read many threads and the advantages/disadvantages in regards to the car rental.
We really appreciate any and all advice!
Thank you!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 09:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

I would suggest you re-post w/ a better title. At first I thought "Method of Travel Inquiries" was asking how to get travel info/make inquiries.

Now I see you are really asking about how to travel from Shannon to Killarney. But you don't mention Killarney, or even Ireland, in the title.

You need to put what you are asking in the title so people who know about buses in Ireland will see your post.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 03:11 AM

You won't be able to get from Shannon Airport direct to Killarney, by train or bus. You will need to make your way into Limerick City to the main train/bus station. From there is a train from Limerick to Killarney as well as National bus services from the same station. For the train, there is one stop/change in Mallow County Cork. The journey takes about 2.5 hours.

You will need to get from Shannon Aiport to Limerick train/bus station (Limerick city).

Your options would be
1 The quickest and most straight forward is a taxi from the airport to Limerick train station. This about a 25 kilometre trip.

Current rate per kilometre = € 1.18. There are additional charges for bags etc. Clear this up with the driver before departing.

2. Bus - There are buses that run from right outside the airport to Limerick train/bus station. The route number you are looking for is 343.

The best place to get the info you need is www.cie.ie This is the main web site for the national bus/train service. Once on the web site the link for the train service is 'Iarnrod Eireann' and 'Bus Eireann' for the national bus service.

I would suggest, as many have on this site, that car rental is the most flexible and easiest way to see the country. While the bus services are generally very good, they will only stop at main towns/cities. As such once you arrive, without a car, you will restricted to just the one location. It might be a logistical nightmare to plan your trip around the bus/rail service if you are trying to see the more off the beaten track locations.

Good luck, hope this has been of some help.

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your very helpful suggestions. I appreciate your input and ideas. It appears I still have some homework to do! Thanks again.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 01:35 AM

This link might be of help:
http://www.BusEireann.ie
there's at least hourly service from Shannon airport to Limerick City with connection to Killarney. There's a BusEireann counter at the airport (end of the rental car counters) where they will sell you tickets & help you with your travel plans.

A taxi to Limerick Bus/Rail Station would probably cost 30 Euro whereas the bus (with stowage space below) costs about 5 euro p/p.

There are buses Limerick to Killarney at 10:35, 12:35, 14:35, 16:35: it's a 2-hour trip. If you get the 9:20 Bus Eireann from Shannon to Limerick City (arr. Limerick 10:10) you've got a 25 min 'window' to make your connection to Killarney. Buses are generally NOT 'restroom equipped,' so take care of those details at the airport (recommended) or at the Bus/rail station.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 01:52 AM

On another thread bizburns wrote: "... We're hoping to get some rest on the flight over from New Jersey . .we arrive 6:30 a.m.("Irish" time) . .I think we'll be so thrilled to be in Ireland, the jet lag won't catch up to us too soon!"

Been there! Done that! I usually fly Continental Newark to Shannon. There's a cafeteria on the upper level at Shannon airport that opens at 7:00 AM. You can get some real food there (i.e., not airline food) and some coffee.

Sorry, I can't give you any advice on driving because they won't rent to me (75 years young). There's a Bus Eireann to Limerick City at 7:50 AM (arr. Limerick 8:25 AM) but it only allows 10-minutes to connect to the 8:35 AM Bus to Killarney. And the BusEireann counter at the airport won't be open yet so you'll have to buy your ticket from the driver.
BTW
As you exit Customs at Shannon, look left of the big glass doors. You'll see an ATM - that's where you get some Euros.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information! I really appreciate the words of wisdom!! Are the flights usually smooth? I am kind of a nervous flyer, but I am so excited about going to Ireland, that emotion is over-riding the nerves.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:28 AM

Take a deep breath, drink a tall Guinness, and realize that it's fun, not stress, to take a vacation!

I'll be there in June as well -- we're there on the 24th, landing in Shannon. Are you going to be there around the same time?