Reload this Page >

Metal Detecting in Italy

Search

Metal Detecting in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Mirth

Metal Detecting in Italy

Ahhhh... sort of a strange question here, only my second post to this forum, but I see there is a wealth of knowledge to be tapped here so thought I’d give this question a try.<BR>Never been to Europe and I am considering a dedicated Food/Wine tour in Italy in the near future. I was just wondering if any of you experienced Italy travelers out there know anything about laws/restrictions regarding metal detecting in and around Italy. No where specific in mind, just very curious as to the regulations for HOBBY metal detecting on a small beach or something similar. Thanks in advance.<BR><BR>Jim<BR>

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Rex

A challenging and interesting question! Ah! I love these! And while I have no irsthand personal experience to contribute, I found the following info:<BR><BR>"Portable antiquities: a discussion document"<BR><BR>http://www.britarch.ac.uk/cba/portant1.html<BR><BR>This is a thoughtful essay on the problem of the ethics and legality of "Cultural Property" (you can find a ton of references on the interent using this particular phrase) - - and using metal detectors, in particular to unearth them.<BR><BR>I found this particular item from this amazingly exhaustive bibliography:<BR><BR>"Sources of Information on Antiquities Theft"<BR><BR>http://home.earthlink.net/~robbinsls/theft/<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 04:46 AM
Mirth

LOL... well I'm glad you enjoyed it Rex! Yes, I thought it would be a challenging question, but was gambling on the hope that someone out of the vast numbers of people who visit this forum might actually be familiar with the information I was seeking. Thanks for the links, I'm going to check them out today.<BR><BR>Jim