Mestre hotel to airport in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are booked in the Bologna hotel opposite the Mestre train station for a four night stay in Venice, and then after a week in the countryside, we will be returning to leave Venice airport at Oh-dark-thirty on Sunday morning. Should we return to the Bologna Hotel, or should we stay Saturday night in a hotel near the airport. If the latter--reccomendations?

Vera
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:38 PM

Vera, are you aware that the Bologna Hotel opposite the Mestre Train station is NOT in Venice? Mestre is outside of Venice in a suburb/industrial area. I have read other posts of your..regarding hotels in Rome. Maybe you are aware that Mestre is not in Venice but in that your post here describes it as IN Venice I just wanted to call this to your attention for what it is worth.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:51 PM

The Hotel Bologna is perfect to stay at the night before you leave-just have the front desk prebook the taxi the night before. We left very early out of the Venice airport and it took less than 15 minutes to the airport by taxi from the Hotel Bologna. This gave us a chance to take the 8 minute train across the water to downtown Venice for one more night.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:54 AM

Vera - Here are some hotels close to the airport:

http://www.titianinn.com/dovesiamo-eng.htm

http://www.venice-hotel.anniaparkhotel.it/index.htm

http://www.casadelmiele.com/ing/servizi.html

http://www.hotelholidayvenice.com/en/

http://www.hotelgamma.com/english/home.htm

Otherwise, if you choose to stay at the Bologna, you could go by Airport Shuttle bus (- which leaves from outside the station) - or by taxi.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

P.S. As LoveItaly says, the Bologna is not 'in' Venice proper. Mestre is a 5-10 mins train ride from Venice itself ...
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

LOL, after reading all the pros and cons of staying IN Venice, vs. Mestre, I VERY carefully worded my post so as not to say that I was staying IN Venice. The title line is the only place that says in Venice--and I don't know how to quickly refer to the airport which of course is also not IN Venice.
Anyhow, back to the point. Sounds like the transportation is pretty quick to the airport from Hotel Bologna. Does the airport bus run very early in the morning--or is there a website where I can check? And would two bus fares be considerably cheapter than a taxi?

Mille Grazie,
Vera
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Whoops, I just noticed that my original note did say "a four night stay in Venice". So I'll amend that to say, "a four night stay NEAR Venice" if it makes people happier. In my defense, I won't be spending my days in Mestre, after all--I'll be spending them IN Venice.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 12:54 AM

Hey Vera - We don't mind where you stay

You can find the Airport Shuttle timetable from Mestre on:

www.atvo.it

The earliest is currently 05.20. This may change in high season.

Fare: € 2.50
Journey time: 20 mins

A taxi will cost you about € 25-30

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

mille grazie, Steve.
Exactly what I needed--esp. the "we don't care where you stay" part.

Vera
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM

It's very easy to get a taxi to the airport from Mestre. I stayed in a hotel near Mestre station last June and found it very convenient. I also liked staying in Mestre itself and taking the bus into Venice which only took a few minutes from outside our hotel.
Carolena
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. I'm feeling quite comfortable with spending our nights at the Bologna Hotel in Mestre. If I had a bigger budget, I'd opt for a villa on a canal, but most of the time I'm in the hotel my eyes will be shut, anyhow.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:10 AM

Hi Vera, I hope I didn't upset you. Yes, since you said you would be staying at the Bologna Hotel for four nights I just wanted to mention what I did for you as in the pass some people have not known that Mestre is not in Venice proper. Just like some have not realized that the train station in Mestre is not the train station in Venice. So just trying to be helpful.
And yes, Venice is expensive. And oh, those early morning flights out of the Venice airport..I hate it, LOL. I end up not sleeping the night before so by the time I change planes in Amsterdam I sort of pass out on the plane the rest of the way home. Have a wonderful time in Italy.

Also, will the countryside be in the region of Veneto? That is one of my favorite places.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:17 AM

Vera, I think it is interesting that you are staying in nearby Mestre. There are some very good restaurants in Mestre and I would think they are less expensive than those in tourist-laden Venice. You might want to think about taking dinner near the hotel after sightseeing in Venice.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly--No, you did not upset me. How could I be upset when you are such a font of knowledge and I gobble up all the information you post? >- I was really laughing because some people do get SO adament about staying in Venice.
The countryside for me means Le Marche. I wanted to go where no man--well, not a lot of them--have gone before. Didn't want to follow the tour buses.
We'll also be driving up to Aviano to visit my grandson at the AF Base, so we'll see a little of the countryside that you love, I guess.
DH and I schedule 45 minutes 3 times a week to work on an Italian self-teaching CD. I'm beginning to actually understand a little bit!
Vera
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
KT

Hi, Vera,

It might amuse you to know that legally Mestre is indeed in Venice. The Comune di Venezia encompasses several municipalities (including Mestre, the main islands of Venice, and others). They all have the same mayor, city council, and communal services, although there are also some powers vested in the municipalities. Kind of like the boroughs in New York City (except that there's no borough named "New York" whereas there is a municipality named "Venezia&quot. So there you go!

Anyway, I've been to Venice several times and on one visit stayed in Mestre with a friend and her family (who were originally from "Venice proper&quot. The horror!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Got it! So I'm staying in Brooklyn.

Vera
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:55 PM

Hi Vera, you will not only be going through part of the region I love so much you will be going right by the City of Congliano, my home away from home! Imagine you will be in a hurry to get to Aviano AFB to see your grandson (I adore all of my grandsons) but if you want to take a little break do pull off and go into Congliano (it will be on the left (west side) of the road and go through the city commercial district and take the road (a real quick drive) to the Castle of Congliano. They have a cafe there and there is the most beautiful view of the countryside, the foothills and the Dolomites.

Now about LeMarche, I have never been there so please, after you get back home and settled in I sure hope you will write a trip report..imagine you will have a lot to talk about as your trip sounds wonderful. And enjoy seeing your grandson, how wonderful for all of you. And give him a thank you for all he is doing. BTW, I live just a couple of miles north of Travis AFB in CA..am sure he is familar with Travis. Enjoy every moment of your trip Vera!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:34 PM

LoveItaly, I would appreciate if you could make some recommendations regarding a 2 week Italy trip itinerary with my wife and 2 teenagers. We are thinking of Rome, Venice and Florence and having not been there before, any input on these or other locations which we shouldn't miss would be great. How much time in each area and any accomodation ideas? Really appreciate it. I live in Danville, Ca. Thankyou Jim
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 03:48 AM

I like Brooklyn (parts anyway).

More like staying in Newark.

Just joking.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 03:54 AM

Really, I have nothing against Newark, but do you know why residents of New York City are so depressed?

Because the light at the end of the tunnel is New Jersey!
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 06:49 AM

A hotel just a few meters from Marco Polo was supposed to open last month,
check into www.veniceairport.it for further
information, if you can not find any information therein, contact the web sites webmaster!!! Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -