Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

messed up on a train ticket I bought on the phone-- how can I exchange it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi
I bought tickets from oebb.at over the phone, and my ticket was meant to be Zurich to Lucerne, but I got a ticket from Zurich to Lausanne.

I need to have a ticket so that I can go and get my visa for Switzerland. Anyone know how I can do this?

I will call them back, but right now they dont have any english speaking agents, and I dont speak German!
help please!!
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 01:39 PM

Somehow I hardly believe you need a train ticket _within the country_ to get a visa. Maybe the immigration guys meant a return plane ticket?
It hardly makes sense because a train ticket from Zürich to Luzern is about as meaningful for your movement in the country as a city bus ticket.

In any case, once you are in Switzerland, go to the counter and they will refund or replace the ticket (usually for a 5 SFr fee)
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

I need a swiss visa, and I am not in Switzerland. For every city I go to , I need to show hotel stay, so while my hotel is in Lucerne, my ticket is in Lausanne! LOL.

I managed to get someone kind on the phone, he said that it was a mistake, so will change for free, otherwise, its 15 euros since its less than a month before departure.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 01:58 PM

Maybe try to get an online ticket from the Swiss railways next time, instead of calling Austrian railways for a ticket in Switzerland:
www.sbb.ch
All you need is a credit card, and there should be less ways to mix up destinations when you type them yourself than telling them to a call center agent.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 02:03 PM

>he said that it was a mistake, so will change for free, otherwise, its 15 euros since its less than a month before departure.

Sorry, just curious, why are you trying to buy tickets in Switzerland from the Austrian Rail? There are no such ridiculous "less than a month" provisions if you buy them from SBB - online or by phone.
In any case, a ticket bought from SBB can always e exchangend until 1 day (NOT 1 month) before travel for free.
It is strange because both hotel bookings and train tickets are so extremely easy to cancel/change at the alst minute... somebody at the Swiss Embassy is obviously underoccupied.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all your help. I managed to speak to someone. The reason that I was purchasing it on the Austrian side, was because I had other train tickets I had purchased, just wanted to get over with the ticket stuff!
neways, got a new one, need to mail in the old one.

Thanks for the suggestion--- its best to book it in the country that you need to travel in!! I know for next time!!
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 03:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Since a ticket from Zürich to Lucerne only costs 22 francs (13.35 euros), it would have been extremely evil if they had charged you 15 euros to change the ticket.