Message to Babette

Mar 12th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Message to Babette

Hello Babette!
I live in Quebec and I'm new on this forum. From what I see, you're quite informed on many destinations. Since english is my second language, I hope you'll excuse my mistakes.

I intend to visit Aix-en-Provence in June with my husband (for 6 days). I looked on internet to find a well located hotel because we will come by TGV from Paris (we won't have a car).

I found "Artea Hotel" and it seems quite a good place. I wrote an email and they replied today that we could rent a room in their hotel.

Do you know that hotel ? If so, would you recommend it? It seemed to me the ideal place and 72 Euros for 2 persons seems a fair price if I compare with other hotels I investigated. Would you rather recommend any other place?

Thank you so much.

Miche

P.S. Do you speak french? Would be much easier for me!

Mar 13th, 2004, 01:20 AM

Hello Miche,
Your english is perfect! Much better than my french would be!

I am not familiar with the Artea Hotel. Can you tell me which street it is on so I can figure out which one it is?

Of the inexpensive hotels in Aix, I hear the Quatre Dauphins is very nice. You might want to compare that to the Artea and see which you prefer.
Mar 13th, 2004, 02:42 AM

Miche,

Just keep in mind that the Gare Aix en Provence TGV station is not located in the city of Aix. It is a few miles out of town. The old train station is still located in the city and is simply called Gare d'Aix en Provence but to go there you have to take the train to Marseille and then switch to a regional train.

I believe there is a bus provided by the SNCF from the Aix TGV station to downtown for a nominal fee.
Mar 13th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Babette,

Thank you so much! The adresse of " Artea Hotel" is 4, boulevard de la République. I searched for details on "Les quatre dauphins" and I only found comments by users. It seems real nice. I will look for more infos.

Thanks Morgan B. Very important your advise about the location of the train station... Do you think a regular train (not the TGV) would bring us directly nearer to the center of Aix?

Thank you so much to both of you!

Miche

Mar 13th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

To Morgan B,

I found this info on SNCF web site:

The Aix-en-Provence TGV station is a handy addition, because you now no longer have to travel from Paris to Marseille and then take another train back up to Aix. The Aix-en-Provence TGV station is about 10 km west of town. Shuttle buses (navettes) provide direct links to Aix-en-Provence center and to Marseille. There are also other buses, taxis and easy access to the A8 autoroute.

Thanks again!

Miche
Mar 13th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Yes thats it! Its by far the best way to go. Have a great time in Aix. Be sure to sample the Callisons, the signature sweet of Aix.
Mar 13th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Hello MorganB,

I received a box of these goodies many years ago (I even kept the empty box!) and I then said to myself that some day I should go to Aix buy some! And this summer I will! Youppi!
Mar 13th, 2004, 08:50 PM
ita

Please describe "Callisons"
Mar 13th, 2004, 11:40 PM

Hi Miche,

The TGV station is about 15 minutes from the center of town. A cab will run you about 40-50 euro. The bus would be considerably cheaper.

I'm not so sure about your hotel choice though. There is a major construction going on right next to it. Two other choices would be Aquabella (more modern) or Le Manoir (quaint and in the center of town).

Quatre Dauphins is very small so there probably is not a lot of information out there. Their phone number is 04.42.38.16.39, fax is 04.42.38.60.19.

Good luck!
Mar 14th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much Babette... precious infos! Another question: should we rather go beginning of September or beginning of June (weather and beauty of the scenery, etc)? I read in the forum that one should not forget to bring an umbrella... is there usually that much rain?
Mar 14th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

To Ita:

If you read French, you have a good description of the calissons on:

http://www.bienmanger.com/1F182_Calissons_Aix.html

http://www.ciao.fr/Roy_Rene_Calisson...x__Avis_624581

If you don't understand, I'll try to translate for you but my English is hot at it's best... I miss practice since I'm retired!

Miche
Mar 15th, 2004, 09:12 PM

Miche,

Soit septembre, soit juin - aucun problème au niveau de pluie. N'oubliez pas que dans le Midi, on a 300 jours de soleil par an. Il faut avoir vraiment de la mauvaise chance pour que un parapluie soit utile!

Bon voyage.

p.s.: je peux vous conseiller aussi Le Manoir - c'est chez eux ou je fais loger mes parents et mes amis.
Mar 16th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Une réponse en français. Cool! Merci beaucoup pour l'information. Comme nous étions à peu près décidés pour le début de juin, ça confirme que nous avions fait un bon choix de dates! Je vais dès aujourd'hui m'informer pour des réservations au Manoir. Je vous tiens au courant des résultats!

Mille mercis!

Miche
Mar 18th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

To Babette
and Elizabeth or Kevin? (don't know who wrote!)

J'ai enfin pu réserver une chambre à l'Hôtel le Manoir (du 8 au 13 juin). J'ai dû écourter notre séjour car la chambre n'était disponible que pour 5 jours... paraît qu'il y a plein de groupes à cette période.

Mille mercis pour le tuyau! Je vous payerais bien un verre... mais où?

Miche
Mar 18th, 2004, 08:54 PM

Miche -

Je suis content pour vous. C'est vrai qu'il y a toujours beaucoup de monde à Aix - est pour prendre un verre, on veut bien, c'est sur....

On va assez souvent à Aix, donc si vous voulez, on vous contacterait au Manoir si jamais on y est au même temps que vous.

A bientôt,
Kevin

p.s.: please excuse any grammer/spelling mistakes and my wife/french teacher is still sleeping!
Mar 18th, 2004, 08:56 PM

p.p.s.: i meant to say - please excuse any grammer/spelling mistakes as French is my second language and my wife is still asleep!!!!
Mar 19th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Bonjour Kevin,

J'avais bien compris que je ne devais pas excuser votre femme! Votre français est excellent, même que je n'aurais pas su que ce n'est pas votre langue maternelle si vous ne l'aviez pas dit.

Au plaisir de peut-être se rencontre un jour!

Miche
Mar 19th, 2004, 11:16 AM
ita

Michi-est ce que vrai que Kevin a un b&b? Puet-etre sa maison est une bonne place de rester. Excuse my French, but I like to practice.
Mar 19th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Hello Ita,

Your french is not so bad! Keep on practicing... I do the same with my english which is not better thant your french. The important thing is that we understand each other!

I don't know if Kevin own's a B&B and if he lives in Aix. However our hotel is already booked. It was important that we find one in the center of Aix cause we'll be coming by TGV and we'll take public transportation in and around town .

Thanks anyway for the suggestion!

Miche
Mar 19th, 2004, 10:01 PM

Miche (and Ita) -

Yes, we do have a B&B - we lived in Aix for two years while renovating our place out in the countryside, so that's why I know Aix so well - and love it so much!

Miche, merci pour le mail, et je vous en prie pour la recommandation du Manoir, c'est normal. Envoyez nous un mail ou téléphonez quand vous arrivez. Ca sera avec grand plaisir de vous faire connaisance...

God, I hate writing in French. Speaking is a pleasure, but writing is torturous. I don't mind telling you that sometimes I have our 7 year old to correct my messages!

A bientôt,
Kevin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO