Meson de Candido menu

Search

Meson de Candido menu

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meson de Candido menu

I will be in Segovia in September and would like to have lunch at Meson de Candido. I tried unsuccessfully to view the menu on their website. Apparently there is a compatability issue with my computer and the menu will not open. Is anyone aware of another website that I can see the menu on? Thanks
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Perhaps you should try a different search engine. If you follow the link below (on google) it ask you to download the document in word but you can just click on open instead.

There are no prices and it seem the same menu for lunch and dinner - or perhaps they only serve dinner.

http://www.mesondecandido.es/ingles.html
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 05:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Is there anything else but the suckling pig to order there? ;-)

I'm so looking forward to my meal there!!!
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 06:03 PM

LOL, joannyc beat me to it! Enjoy!
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

njtraveler - When I saw your response I tried opening the menu on my husband's computer instead of my son's and voila! I guess he has a different version of Word. Thanks

joannyc - I can't wait to eat there
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 06:45 PM

When in September will you be there?

I plan on being in Segovia from Sept 30 for 2 nights.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 08:11 PM

In Spain a chef shows that he prepared the pig correctly by taking a dinner plate and using the edge to cut the roasted pig into large chunks.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 09:01 PM

Aduchamp1, is it also a tradition to shatter the plate on the floor or is this a Meson de Candido thing?
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 09:54 PM

I do not remember the shattering of the plate, so maybe it is Candido thing. But maybe some of the Spaniards can weigh in.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 02:42 AM

They are open for lunch and dinner, as I remember.

You might also consider Restaurant Jose Maria.

At either of these, you should reserve in advance:

http://www.rtejosemaria.com/
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 05:07 AM

Susan:

Cannot help you about Casa Cándido; but we were with at Jose María for lunch in 2011, nothing short than excellent; we choosse all over a great list, with all kind of dishes, from great salads to (of course) "cochinillo".
you will enjoy Segovia, no doubts..
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

joannyc - I will be there on Sept

I was also considering Jose Maria but my son is sold on the thought of dining with a view of the Aquaduct

ekscrunchy - thanks, I already requested a reservation
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

joannyc - September 15
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 08:09 AM

There is a town near Segoiva that is also known for their tostón or cochinillo and that is Arevalo.

http://www.spain.info/en_US/ven/otro...s/arevalo.html
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM

Hmmmm.... Jose Maria ranks #2 on TripAdvisor while Candido ranks #15!

Maybe the Aqueduct view isn't worth it?
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 09:05 PM

Joan

Half the people who rate the NY restaurants on Trip Advisor do not know of whence they speak, especially when it comes to ethnic food. They mention places that are in tourist areas, in some guide book or another, or well-known. Yes, they have worthwhile places but they are often next places, you would not send the cousin you hate.

Jose Maria is well known so I am sure that is why he garners more votes. It could be his restaurant is better, but then again who wants to argue with such a famous cook when they do not know Spanish food in the first place. Think of the herd mentality, or in this case oink, oink.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 10:30 PM

I had a lunch at Jose Maria in March. It was not a peak season and I got a table without reservation by getting in right at the opening time. I too went through Candido vs. Jose Maria decision. The people at Jose Maria seemed to be mostly locals. Business associates entertaining out of town guests, families celebrating some milestones, and a sprinkle of tourists. They do offer many non pork dishes. They waited until there were enough orders to bring out a whole Cochinillo, sliced it with a plate and distributed pieces to various tables. You must have a camera ready if you want to take a picture, because they do it so quickly.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 01:42 AM

I know you didn't ask, but here is the excerpt from my trip report, with the dinner at Jose Maria:

<Jose Maria is my kind of restaurant. Cozy, with professional service yet not in the least bit pretentious..the restaurant encloses a series of dining rooms with white plaster walls and lots of red brick. This is the one place that we saw quite a few fellow Americans, probably because we were eating so early at 9pm when the restaurant had just opened for dinner.

For some reason, here and at most of the other places we ate that week, most tables seemed to be drinking Marques de Caceres Rioja. We had the house wine which proved to be the ideal choice, as Jose Maria has been well-known in the world of Spanish wine since he represented Spain in a world sommelier's contest in the early 70s and is currently the proprietor of his own vineyards in nearby Ribera del Duero, Finca y Bodega del Pago de Carraovejas.

We began with white asparagus served cold with a red pepper viniagrette. This will sound sacreligious, but I am a big fan of canned white asparagus from Navarra, which I buy in rather large quantites to take home with me. I began with one of the house specialties, Ensalada de Perdiz y Gallo Iberico escabechado con Foie Fresco y Endibias.

The cordero asado here must be ordered by two persons and, knowing that we would be on the lechazo trail the next day, my partner ordered the famous suckling pig, whose adorable relatives are featured on the menu cuddled up in Jose Maria's arms. The pig is no more than 3 weeks old and weighs a maximum of 4.5 kilos. This tiny animal is served with fabulous roasted potatoes. The meat is incredibly tender and the skin is so scrumptiously crispy that it is truly a wonder. The skin is so very crunchy that a large portion, including the tiny ear, actually bounced off the plate and onto the floor (boohoo) when we cut into it! Never mind.....we completely demolished the entire portion.

Not able to wait a minute longer for my lamb, I ordered the baby lamb chops which proved to be the tiniest versions I had ever seen..the eye portion was not much larger than the face of my watch. Again, accompanied by fantastic roasted potatoes. Now I love my greens, but I must say I did not miss them one bit here...this is meat for meat connoisseurs and salad or vegetables would just occupy space that could be filled by more meat!

And for dessert, the sweet that is now competing with Pastel Vasco in my affections. Ponche Segoviano, is a confection of custard, marzipan (ooops, forgot about that delight in my list of top sweets) and liqueur oozing through layers of light yellow cake. I am sure Claire or Maribel will be able to provide a more accurate description..all I can say now is WOW.

Dinner at Jose Maria was wonderful, but not nearly as wonderful as the meals that awaited us the next two days when we left Segovia and began our journey into the Segovian hinterlands in search of Roast Suckling Lamb. The meal for the two of us, including water, the Tinto "Autor" Jose Maria, and a second dessert of ice creams, cost 96 E. with tax. (The cochinillo is priced at 19.95; the lamb chops at 18.50.)>

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nd-segovia.cfm
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Aduchamp1 - there are so many towns that must be well worth visiting. Travelling is wonderful!

ekscrunsky - your meal sounded delicious! I have read many of your trip reports, my mouth watered many times. As a matter of fact I have your thread that compiled your eating experiences written down in my notes to go over again so I can list restaurants.

Everyone is making me hungry!
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 10:07 AM

Well, it seems that I'm just going to have to try both of them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -