Reload this Page >

Mephisto shoes in Paris?

Search

Mephisto shoes in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 09:22 PM
Diane

Mephisto shoes in Paris?

I purchased a pair of Ecco sandals to take on my trip to Paris. I priced Mephistos, but found them to be quite expensive in Nordstrom's. The dollar is worth about 6.8 francs at the moment. With the current exchange do you think they might be less expensive to buy in Paris?

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 05:55 AM
Debi

I just got hooked on Mephistos myself. They seem to be expensive no matter where you buy them. There are 4-5 stores in my area that sell them - got lucky and found some on sale at the Walking Store. But - I asked around about going to Europe to buy them and the suggestion was to look outside Paris since Paris prices are usually quite high. But - if the dollar is strong - every little bit helps.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 08:59 AM
Kathy

I bought some pairs of Mephistos in Paris because the Parisian Mephisto stores offered a greater variety of shoes than any shops in the States. They were still expensive, but less than what I would have paid back home.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 09:40 AM
Christina

I seriously doubt it as the exchange rate is only about 10 pct better than it's been for several years now, and anything in France (manufactured products, anyway) is always a lot more expensive than that compared to US--more like 1/2 to 1/2 more expensive due to VAT, I think. If you plan on buying a lot of stuff in the same store and can get that refunded, then maybe (they do have solo Mephisto stores in Paris, so if you bought there, you'd be limited to shoes; I don't even know if they sell them in other dept stores in Paris). Last summer there was a Mephisto store near where I was staying and even though I really needed a good pair of walking shoes I wouldn't buy them as they were so expensive (and, pretty ugly to me, there weren't a very good choice of styles for women that I saw). As I recall some basic walking shoe type (not an open sandal) was about 750F or so, I remember it was maybe US$125 last summer and the exchange rate then was about 6.1F/1USD. So, it depends on Nordstrom's prices, if they are $150 and up, then they should be cheaper in Paris.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Christina

I made a typo, I meant things in Paris seem to be about 1/3 to 1/2 more expensive than in US, but you may know that already.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 11:38 AM
lynn

Diane - <BR> <BR>I have commented on Mephistos in the past and love these shoes. <BR> <BR>I have 10 pair if I have one. They are great shoes. However, I never, ever pay anywhere near full price. The most I have ever spent is $60 a pair. And that was only once. <BR> <BR>I would recommend (assuming you are in a large area) calling the local fairgrounds in your area and asking if they have a weekend "marketplace" or "swap meet". I go to what's called the "Orange County Marketplace" in Costa Mesa, California. There's a guy there that sells returns, exchanges, reconditioned. <BR> <BR>Once I bought a pair of used ones which had the insole and outside sole replaced and the leather was in great shape. They looked almost new. Price? $15! And to this day, they are my favorite pair. I'm wearing them right now. <BR> <BR>The most expensive pair I bought for $60 were brand new Gortex hiking shoes/boots. $200+ at retail. <BR> <BR>Nordstroms is the last place I would buy these shoes! <BR> <BR>Good luck. <BR> <BR

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 11:41 AM
Diane

Thank you Lynn!!! <BR> <BR>I live close to the Orange County Fairgrounds. I'll definitely stop there before heading out to Paris. How I love this forum.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 12:28 PM
Martha

Diane: <BR>I purchased a pair of Mephisto shoes last year in Paris and they were about 45% less than the U.S. They even had several pair on sale at even cheaper prices but not in my size. I wore them for the remaining 2 weeks of my trip. Great shoes and worth every penny!!!

Old Mar 7th, 2011, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be in Paris in a few weeks, but for just about 3 days. Is it hard to find a Mephisto shoe store? Can anyone recommend a store?
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 07:38 PM

google it! there are several.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 10:57 PM

This thread is 11 years old.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 03:13 AM

Wow, this is a really old thread! But shoes are always a timely matter.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 07:01 AM

Reading about Francs had me really confused. I recll a store on Rue Cler.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 07:43 AM

3000 sq.ft MEPHISTO SHOP : 116, avenue du Général Leclerc - 75014 PARIS - Subway : ALESIA Open : Monday from 11H to 19H and from Tuesday to Saturday from 10H to 19H. Tel : 01 45 40 74 75