memories

Aug 28th, 1999, 08:15 PM
denise

memories

What is your favorite memory or your trip?

Aug 28th, 1999, 08:28 PM
denise

One of our's was spending 2 glorious nights at the Hotel Splendido in Portofino, Italy. The room was incredible..double french doors lead to a stone balcony, laden with flowers and a view of the most beautiful harbor of Portofino. Wish we could have spent more time there. Would love to hear your favorites!

Aug 31st, 1999, 06:40 PM
Denise

I guess the reason for my post was to find out if someone had any sensational recommendations for hotels,B&B's,orInn's that were truly outstanding. We all like to splurge sometime even if it's only for a night.

Aug 31st, 1999, 08:44 PM
April

Since you put it that way...
It didn't cost alot but was one of the highlights of our trip to Greece - the Anemomilos Apartments on Folegandros in the Cyclades. Clean and neat as a pin; spacious, architecturally interesting rooms; two balconies at the edge of a sheer cliff above the ocean; spectacular views. It jaded us for Santorini which we then found completely tacky and uninspiring.

I would love to stay at the Hotel Splendido in Portofino but don't know that I'll ever be that rich.

Sep 1st, 1999, 07:30 AM
elvira

My first trip to Paris by myself, I stayed in the Hotel Gay-Lussac, very inexpensive, very old. The french windows opened onto a wrought iron railing and I leaned out as far as I could - and there was the tippy tippy top of the Eiffel Tower, all lit up.
Best damn room ever...

Sep 1st, 1999, 09:25 AM
Dona

La Scalinatella in Capri - white marble hotel built into the side of the mountain, breakfast set out on our terrace overlooking the sea; Villa D'Este in Cernobbio (Lago di Como)fabulous building and grounds overlooking the gorgeous Lake Como with the floating swiming pool; Excelsior in Venice (Lido), large luxurious rooms right on the Adriatic, moonlight on the sea, open air breakfast overlooking the Adriatic...

Sep 1st, 1999, 12:57 PM
Beth

Oh....this could take a while!! I think the most memorable was my first trip to Europe. Everything was so new and unique it is hard to define the "most memorable". London was the first stop and I was there just a month after Princess Diana was killed. The sadness and grief was still fresh and it really affected my first step into Westminster Abbey. To this day, while it isn't my best memory, it is the strongest and most vivid one. I think my first sight of Paris is my favorite memory. It was years of daydreams and wishes come true...

Sep 2nd, 1999, 08:09 PM
Denise

Dear April, You don't have to be rich to stay at the Hotel Splendido....You just choose quality over quantity. Sincerely, Denise

Sep 5th, 1999, 02:34 PM
Lola

My favorite parts of travel are memories--they truly do last a lifetime, and the more you travel and the older you get, the more precious they become. My favorites depend on my mood, and what triggers them, but most involve meeting people, and surprise. Memories are the most priceless souvenirs of traveling, and part of the reason for this great Fodor's forum.

Sep 5th, 1999, 08:09 PM
Linda

Seeing "The David" and what I can only describe as a medieval football game in Florence, standing on the Charles Bridge at night in Prague, visiting the great historic city of Berlin, taking in the beauty of the Interlaken area are my favorite memories.

Sep 5th, 1999, 08:47 PM
Joanna

Loads of great memories, but the sweetest is coming from Athens airport on my first trip to Europe (Athens being my first port of call) and seeing the Acropolis with the Parthenon gleaming in the early morning sun as our taxi headed for our hotel (Athens Gate). Later that day had a terrific sunset view from the hotel's roof garden.