Memorable Umbrian meals

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 05:10 AM
MJ

Memorable Umbrian meals

We're planning to spend the third week of September in Umbria and are looking for suggestions for great places to stay and to eat. Many thanks.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Betsy

You've found your place! It's Malvarina (www.malvarina.it), near Assisi. Our home away from home in Umbria. Do a search to pull up some reviews. You'll be lucky to find availabilty there the third week of September, as they book up early. Wish I were there right now instead of on my way to work!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Dale

You pushed the right button. We visit Umbria twice a year, and, in fact, will be there part of the third week in September. Email me and I'll tell all. Ciao.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Janice

I second Malvarina. I was there in October of 2001 with small group tour,<BR>Gabriele's Travels to Italy. Dinners<BR>are served in a beautiful dining room<BR>with large fireplace and I have never<BR>had better food anywhere. You can also<BR>arrange horseback riding, hiking and<BR>cooking lessons.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:58 AM
yum yum

One of my favorite restaurants in Italy (and that's saying a lot!) is in Deruta. I think it's called La Fontana and it is located in the far back corner of the old walled town. Simple and inexpensive fare. <BR><BR>They have a dish there that looks like lasagne noodles rolled with various stuffings and placed on their side, packed into a backing dish and sauced and baked. It is a house specialty with various choices of stuffings that change daily. The ham and cheese in a white sauce is so delicious. I can't remember what this is called, so if anyone can help I'd be most appreciative. <BR><BR>Can't help with accommodations as we've always stayed at a borrowed house, but do try to make it to La Fontana (if that's the right name!) Many other good simple restaurants to be found, several in Spello.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Marilyn

Pull up my "Orvieto Restaurant Report" for 3 great restaurants there, and 1 in Bagnoreggio.