Reload this Page >

100 best things about Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:14 AM
love Germany

why not? haven't seen this yet... let's hear it folks! <BR><BR>(or the 100 best things to DO in Germany - yes we know all about the beer! ;-)

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Love Germany Too

1. Driving through small towns in the former East Germany and counting the many, many stork nests perched up high on nest poles.<BR><BR>2. Starting in Zittau, Germany, and walking through Poland and the Czech Republic and back to Germany in about an hour.<BR><BR>3. Sharing tables at off-the-beaten path restaurants with locals and talking. <BR><BR>4. Photographing every Berlin Bear you can find.<BR><BR>5. Pausing at Checkpoint Charlie to appreciate freedom.<BR><BR>6. Celebrating a small town's 1000th anniversary.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:13 AM
love it too

7.Meersburg - the unbeleivable restuarants<BR>and the old fortress<BR>8.The Mosel river area, Cochem is a a small town w/ big spirit, castle and great views.<BR>9The White church off the Romantic Rd.<BR>10.Schwarzwald, just driving through the hamlets and the breathtaking scenery<BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Love Germany

11. Shopping at the KaDeWe<BR><BR>12. The Grunes Gewolbe in Dresden<BR><BR>13. The Hotel Tuchmacher restaurant<BR><BR>14. The view of the castle in Meissen when you arrive at the train station.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:42 AM
trying

These are probably obvious: <BR>15. Walking from Moselkern to Burg Eltz, which leads us to ...<BR>16. Burg Eltz<BR>17. A Rhine cruise, if only between St. Goar and Bacharach

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:12 AM
bettyk

18. Early morning in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Eerily quiet except for a few locals getting their morning bread, etc.<BR>19. Auf Schoenburg Castle Hotel in Oberwesel on the Rhine River (near the Lorelei). Beautiful rooms and views.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Brad

<BR>20. The herbal tea at Cafe Arche in Ilmenau, Thuringen<BR><BR>21. The view of the three castles from the Autobahn between Eisenach and Gotha

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Reggie

<BR>22. The Hoelderlin house on the Neckar in Tuebingen.<BR><BR>23. Koestritzer Schwartzbier.<BR><BR>24. Stopping for a rum while cross-country skiing through the Thuringian Forest.<BR><BR>25. Christmas markets!<BR><BR>26. The dialects.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Germanylover

<BR>27. I know it's Turkish, but getting a Doner Kebab is great.<BR><BR>28. Watching a movie with Franka Potente.<BR><BR>29. Nude bathing on the Nordsee.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Laura

30. The fried potatoes!!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Helen

31. Butter pretzels in Stuttgart<BR>32. Bavarian Alps in summer<BR>33. Street cafes everywhere<BR>34. Black forest cherry cream cake<BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 12:22 PM
s

35) Hamburger Dom<BR>36) the leg sticking out of the wall at Bamberg<BR>37) Alt bier and the Dusseldorf old town in general (europe's longest bar)<BR>38) the rhine in flames<BR>good to hear a sometimes overlooked country bigged up!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Me2

38. Seconded! Someone just beat me to the Rhine en Flammen!<BR>39. Wandering the Christmas shop in Rothenberg<BR>40. A "wine tasting" (the real McCoy!) a small family-run winery. Bring your own bread and cheese!<BR>41. A Sunday volksmarch (stroll) through a path in the woods - preferably near the Schwarzwald.<BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Betsy

42. The Deutsches Museum in Munich<BR>43. Bertchesgaden<BR>44. Apfelstrudel w vanilla sauce at Elisabeth and<BR>Wilhelm's house <BR>45. Schnitzel, says my son<BR>46. White asparagus (spargel), says I<BR>47. The little rococo church at Wies<BR>48. Freiburg, especially Freiburg

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Art

49 Erdbear bowle (wine, champagne with fruit soaked in brandy for 48 hours)<BR>50 Oberammergau with Grimm’s fairy tails painted on the houses.<BR>51 Hummel figurines.<BR>52 christmas beer.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 11:44 PM
lovinlifeingermany

53. No road rage<BR>54. No violent crimes committed with guns-they have very strict gun laws<BR>55. No losers bbq kittens<BR>56. No little children being abducted from their homes or in front of them.<BR>57. Crime does happen but not to the extent and nature that it does in the states.<BR>58. Do you can drive fast on the autobahn<BR>59. Beer, beer, and more beer!!!!<BR>60. Berlin love fest parade<BR>61. October fest!!!!<BR>62. My local guesthouse which after four years living here is still my favorite restaurant "Zum Storkenest" in Bann.<BR>63. German attitude of mind your own business.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Paige

64. Hiking in the Bavarian Alps!!<BR>65. Kaiserschmarrn (I know it's Austrian but you can get it in Bavaria)<BR>66. A Radler on a warm day at a mountain Huette<BR>67. Kurbiskernbrezen - big pretzels covered with pumpkin seeds<BR>68. Oktoberfest!<BR>69. Mittenwald, Obertsdorf and all the other cute mountain villages

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:27 AM
boozehound

70. booze, booze and more booze.<BR>71. I am a big fan of anyplace where I can have a beer and a smoke at 8am with out judgement or scorn.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Russ

72. Auto-free Sundays, whereby given stretches of scenic highway are given over to bicyclists, rollerbladers, etc. for the entire day<BR><BR>73. Pedestrians-only zones in the city centers<BR><BR>74. The "Gastst&auml;tte-in-the-woods" phenomenon, whereby your hike through a dark and seemingly uncivilized forest, where you wouldn't expect to find refreshment for miles around, inevitable brings you to a place that sells a half-dozen varieties of brew and a yummy schnitzel.<BR><BR>75. The view over the Rhine River from atop the chairlift ride in Boppard<BR><BR>76. The waft of sausages and chestnuts on a cold winter evening<BR><BR>77. The eternal tidiness, friendliness, and hospitality of most small-town B&B proprietors<BR><BR>78. 6,000 train stations and thousands of miles of track<BR><BR>79. More "undiscovered" towns (the ones you won't find written up anywhere) than anywhere else I know<BR><BR>80. Outdoor cafes nearly everywhere (a more recent and very positive development)<BR><BR>81. The fact that most tourists prefer France and England<BR><BR>82. It's nothing like Paris.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Paige

83. Bread stores on every corner with a huge variety of fresh bread everyday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -