Meeting people in Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2023, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, on our May 2024 3 week Scottish trip, we'd love to really meet & interact with Scottish people. I thought about taking a cooking class somewhere as an option or at least a food tour.

We will be going on a whisky tour at some point, and likely will will manage to get a round of golf in somewhere too. And certainly we'd be visiting some of the local pubs. Any other ideas?

Our itinerary is now 23 nights:

Glasgow 2 nights
Tobermory 4 nights
Plockton 3 nights
Ballater 4 nights
St. Andrews 2 nights
Melrose 4 nights
Edinburgh 4 nights

23 nights
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 12:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't set out to specifically 'meet people', I just . . . meet people. In the normal course of things. I used to know of a couple of foodie tours in Edinburgh but haven't heard of them in a while and not sure they outlived covid. A quick google search will probably locate some. I personally don't think of Scotland as a cooking class sort of place -- I'd be more inclined to do that in Paris or Italy.

Plus with limited time in say Edinburgh - not sure I'd want to spend 4 hours of it indoors learning to cook . . . haggis

I spend a fair amount of time talking with docents, volunteers, and rangers at places like castles, stately homes, small local museums (like the wonderful Sottish Fisheries Museum in Anstruther), parks, etc. Pubs are great and meeting up at the pub or clubhouse after a round of golf is a tradition.

Just around Melrose for examples . . . a few of places I've chatted up people . . . all four Border Abbeys, and Floors Castle, and Traquair House, and Abbotsford, and Mellerstain, and the Jim Clark motorsport museum, and and and,
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
every pub is an opportunity, every train and bus (though deciding to use a car, sort of steps you out of that), every restaurant, every queue in the shop, every swim, every library, every tourist information

Tourist infos will have diaries on knitting and doing stuff together, these small town centres, village centres are not just there for business but to help people meet people. Slow down your journey and embrace the inner Scot.
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 04:56 AM

YOu won't meet any locals in a cooking class for tourists. Or a food tour. It will be other tourists. If you are in a group food tour, you are less likely to even interact with the patron of the place.

I don't think you go to Scotland for either of those, to be honest.
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 06:53 AM

I seek out lectures on topics that interest me, and book readings/signings, and that fosters an environment to chat and get a small insight into local life. Or maybe bring props to encourage someone to talk, like leaving a popular book out on your pub table, or something with a logo of your local sports team, or something. (Though, if the Scot doesn't like Americans, that may backfire.)

I'm sure you'll exude an openness to talk, so good luck with finding friendly Scots. (Maybe try not to end up grinning like an idiot--like me--when you encounter a charming Scottish burr, though.)
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 07:09 AM

I would choose a B&B versus a hotel. I've been staying at a B&B in London for many many years and have gotten to know the host, her family, and many of her friends.
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 07:41 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sort of with Janis - it's not so much about seeking out as it is encountering people in the normal course of things. Doing laundry, or in a grocery store or pharmacy, in a pub - especially in a pub - or at some public performance or event. For example, have a look at the Highland Games calendar (here's 2023's; I suspect 2024's will be out soon, but not much different except for different dates on the weekends) - Scottish Highland Games 2023 Calendar (scotlandwelcomesyou.com) In many areas the attendees will be mostly local, and it's a terrific way not only to meet people but to see things like cabers being tossed (or not) or big rocks being toted around, or pipe bands marching while little girls dance. Here's a video (one of many) from the Strathmore games on the grounds of Glamis Castle in Angus. It would be fun, inexpensive, and a definite change of pace from such a driving-intensive tour.

Old Oct 15th, 2023, 08:27 AM

Borrow a B&B's dog for a short walk and you will be amazed how many people you get to talk with
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 10:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Borrow a B&B's dog for a short walk and you will be amazed how many people you get to talk with
Not even borrow (or temporarily kidnap ) a pup - just chat up people out walking their dogs. Most dog people are really friendly.
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 10:19 AM

I had an interesting experience one year when I had won a lottery ticket to Wimbledon. I was in Center Court and had a great time chatting to the Brits in my vicinity. Also got to participate in a Wave led by the Umpire during a rain delay.
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 10:58 AM
J62

You don't even need to borrow a dog....Dogs will say hi to anybody, and if you ask the dog's owner if you can say hi, squat down, talk to him & tell how handsome he is,rub his ears and generally make him wag his tail you've already broken more ice than you will in any cooking class...

You'll know soon enough if the owners are the chatty type or not.....
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 11:57 AM

Talk to anybody. Seriously, anybody. They will be delighted and will give you the shirt off their back (still, bring your own shirts). You might be thinking, if you were recently in England, that whoever you speak to will take this as an opportunity to subtly make fun of you and then later laugh at you behind your back. But, nooo, nae, chan eil - - once you cross the border into Scotland, this no longer happens. In Scotland people are open, sincere, and will automatically adore you. Just ask a Scot a question. Any Scot. Any question.
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 12:16 PM

That is a slur on English people and certainly doesn't line up with 63 years of experience.

Treat people as you want to be treated and they join in
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 12:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Treat people as you want to be treated and they join in
I couldn’t possibly be that deferential.
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 01:14 PM

That is a slur on English people
Yes, but well deserved.
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 02:18 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
“Yes, but well deserved.”

Untrue. My experience of encounters with the English while walking long-distance paths has been almost entirely positive. I think the winner was a man walking his dog in his posh neighborhood adjacent to the Thames Path who asked if I needed anything, brought me home with him, made me coffee, filled my water bottle, directed me to the loo and sent me on my way with snacks & a book he was sure I’d enjoy. Though my in-laws are Scottish & I love them dearly, the Scots don’t have an exclusive on kindness.

Last edited by MmePerdu; Oct 15th, 2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo
Perfect post.
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by dfourh
Yes, but well deserved.
careful, or this will end up in the naughty step
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 05:37 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
You could go out and sit on a park bench in a park/garden. It’s been my experience, people in the UK will chat people up in those situations as it happens to me when I do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -