Meersburg or Lindau?

Search

Meersburg or Lindau?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meersburg or Lindau?

Ok, Fodorites .... which do you prefer and why?

I'm looking to spend 1 night in either Meersburg or Lindau. I know that is hardly enough time to see each place or even the area .. but my husband and I are just looking for a quick base for one night with a bit (about a half a day) of sightseeing in whichever city we choose.

Thank you!!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:31 PM

Lindau, was enchanted by the position on the lake, the overall ambience of the town, and an excellent Thai dinner. Meersburg just didn't compare, although we were only there for part of an afternoon.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:39 PM

We loved Meersburg! We stayed in a cute and inexpensive little place called "Gasthof zum Bären." We specified that we wanted a room with an oriel window, and we really enjoyed it. The town is charming, and one can take a boat over to the flower island of Mainau, which was quite lovely. We had arranged to stay only one night, and we regretted that we couldn't stay longer.

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:10 PM

I've spent my fair share of time along the shores of the Bodensee and I am of the opinion that altho Lindau has it's merits - it just doesn't compare to Meersburg. The ancient Altes Schloss and Neues Schloss, the view across to Switzerland from the terrace in-between, all the different museums, the little alleys, the Obertor and beautiful little Marktplatz in the upper section of town and the
very nice lake promenade on the lower section - and Steigstrasse with all it's half-timbered houses - all combine for one neat little village.

I enjoy stopping there for lunch and a quick walk-thru when traveling between the Füssen area and the Black Forest. Lindau or Meersburg? I'll take Meersburg every time...

And I second the Zum Bären. I've had two different wives stay in the same room on the corner above the Platz. (Probably the same room that Pegontheroad stayed in.) They both loved it - different years of course... ;-) Ben

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 07:34 AM

I liked them both. Meersburg is much smaller so if you like cities go to Lindau small town Meersburg.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Add me to the Meersburg list. It's a marvelous little place.

I cannot comprehend the comment that it "just didn't compare" to Lindau.

A great Thai dinner would not be on my list of considerations for a place to spend the night in Germany any more than a terrific pork roast would be in Bangkok.

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

I do love the small quaint towns ... so it looks as if Meersburg may be it. Now, to determine whether or not Ravensburg is worth seeing? It's pretty much not heard of ... but I love the Ravensburger games (I grew up with them) so I'm contemplating a stop there.

Thanks for all the input!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:43 AM

Ravensburg, "the town of towers and gates" is worth seeing. The center of medieval origin is just charming.

http://www.ravensburg.de/default.asp

A typical inn serving wine is Weinstube zum Muke.

http://www.residenz-ravensburg.de/

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 12:53 AM
DVL

Lindau is nice - but at fist have a look at the charming historical marketplace of Meersburg.
Two livecams are combined to produce a unique extra-large portrait view of beautiful downtown historical Meersburg.
Proof it here, you will like it:
www.meersburg-webcam.de

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 02:50 AM

Sometimes it actually helps to know where else you will have been or are going unless you actually enjoy repeating the same sort of ambience in stop after stop.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Intrepid1, very true. Below is a list of places we will be traveling to on this trip. Very ambitous.

Cochem
Rothenburg
Munich
Fussen
Meersburg
Appenzell
Lucern
(1) night in Freiburg
Husband returns to Frankfurt to fly home and I meet my sister and head to France.

**this part of the trip 17 days (including 2 travel days)**
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Neopolitan

Add me to the list of the corner room with the big window at Zum Baren. (I wonder who stays in all the other rooms?) We were returning from dinner late one night and the little hotel bar was closed, but the owner poured me a "nightcap" of Glenfiddich -- it was like a huge water tumbler filled to the brim. I'm not sure what we did the next day.

You must visit the gardens at Mainau, regardless of where you stay.

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 07:49 AM

Another vote for Meersburg.
From there you can also visit Mainau Island (Island of flowers).
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Neopolitan, we are staying at the Zum Baren as well .. thanks to the many people on Fodors who highly recommended it. We weren't able to get Room #23 ( I believe that is the room everyone reaves about ... so we took Room #21. We made reservations for August back in January and Room #23 was booked.

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Neopolitan

Ah yes, they were just fastening the 2 and 1 numbers to the broom closet when we were there!

Only kidding, katzen. Have fun.

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

lol ... that would be my luck!!!