Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mediterranean Cruise - Splendour by the seas

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anyone pls. give us some comments on this cruise. we're on oct. 1 sailing but will be in barcelona for a few days.
anyone has stayed at atrium palace in barcelona? will appreciate any comments on ship,excursions, hotels, etc.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Hello elaus

A group of us (8) will be sailing on the same cruise Oct 15. When you return, can you please post comments/thoughts on your trip. Would really appreciate it. Thanks. We are staying at this hotel a couple of days beforehand. Our travel agent recommended this hotel. http://www.achotelfrontmaritim.com/
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 01:36 PM

We stayed at the Atrium Palace in Barcelona this past July. I noticed there were some folks departing on an RCCL cruise there as well so assume they use it as one of their Barcelona hotels.

You might look at the reviews on TripAdvisor.

The hotel is, IMO, well-located on the Gran Via just a few blocks from the Placa Catalunya and a short walk to Las Ramblas. Metro stops are close by.

Rooms are rather moderne in furnishings..the ones in the front have balconies and the glass is thick enough so that none of the street noise seeps in.

Buffet breakfast was very extensive. Housekeeping was good, A/C worked well.

The one thing we didn;t like was the 15 watt light bulbs in the bedside reading lamps. When we asked about getting something stronger were told anything higher wattage would harm the lampshades.

We went to the El Corte Ingles store at Placa Catalunya and bought two 100-watt bulbs and used those. Lampshades were fine. Otherwise, staff was very responsive and the free internet connections were a plus, too.
Old Sep 12th, 2005, 01:40 PM

A group of us cruised on this ship in 2001 from Venice through to Athens, Mykinos, Rhodes, Croatia and back to Venice. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and can recommend this ship. I am looking at doing another cruise on the Royal Carribean Cruise Line next year in the Med. If there was any complaints it would be that they do not have enough loungers on deck on the days you are sailing out at sea, but then I think this is quite universal on most cruises, as January month my husband and I did the Panama / Carribean cruise with P & O and we had the same problem. Entertainment and Food on board was very good....enjoy!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

in reply to msbelle51: atrium palace is a 4-star hotel in a good location of the city center, area of plaça catalunya. old façade,but renovated based on modern design. the free water,juices & internet were a bonus!
were met by an rcl rep at the hotel & helped booked the city tour & a flamenco dinner/show at el cordobes, recommended!
1st day on cruise was a real disappointment, didn't sail to marseilles as there was a port strike. had bad weather, ship rocked almost the whole day, scared to death!! rest was ok, ship has a great crew, very clean & food was fantastic! though there are times, i felt some things are NOT WELL ORGANIZED.
good prices on the ship shops though have better prices & lots of time to shop at naples, most stores don't have siestas there.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 05:32 AM

Hi

See also http://www.cruise-addicts.com

Cheers