Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

TYPE OF PASSENGERS -Princess versus Celebrity

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it me or is it the type of cruisers I'm finding on our Pacific Princess Cruise up the Amazon. We have never sailed Princess and have only been in the last few years on three two week Celebrity trans-atlantics for two weeks.. The Celebrity cruisers seem much more welcoming and down to earth.. The people I've met on line for this upcoming Princess cruise seem to be pretty judgmental and look down their noses at others.. I'm not looking forward to this cruise.. Fortunately, we do have two friends who will be on the cruise with us..and I'm seriously thinking of being non-social.. I won't even give them our Cabin # and either will the other couple even give them their real name..or suite #..The comments by one woman to me have been absolutely snide...on line no less. The ship is too small (670 passengers) to completely avoid them.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM

I assume you are talking about the boards on Cruise Critic?
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:35 AM

We met very nice people at cruisecritic who were going to be on our Princess cruise. We hit it off so well with one couple that we made plans to tour with them at three ports.
The other cruisecritic folks we met at the get together aboard ship were also very pleasant.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 11:32 AM

The 'personality' of a roll call can vary from cruise to cruise & ship to ship.

I have had some duds of a roll call and had great roll calls then duds of a meet & greet.

On our cruise (yes, I'm looking forward to meeting you onboard),which I joined late there are a few who have been online quite awhile and some that know each other from other cruises. That may make for a more sedate roll call conversation. Hopefully, all will be fun onboard.

At least it seems like you will be and I know I am-LOL.

When I signed on to the roll call, I didn't get any great welcoming but now that Donna & I got the meet & greets going - things will be fine.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

YES, MARYANN we are on the 4/10 section..not Donna but the other one gets my goat..lol Our friends want nothing to do with them..It seems since we love t/a cruises on Celebrity we will be meeting up with the same people..such as the couple coming with us..and I can't tell you how welcoming they are/were.. we are scheduled for another t/a in November.. We aren't going as a group, but t/a groupies I think.lol I wouldn't give Donna our cabin # because we seriously think we are going to be upgraded. When I told the other person what category she asked how I got that cabin.. I told her I asked..lol. I'm across from the laundry room.. for now.. it will be nice meeting you...The other person has been snippy and snobby.. and our friends Merman wants nothing to do with them.. and I even know how they are going to avoid them at sea days..lol
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM

This is too funny - I was feeling the same 'vibes' from them, too.

I'll be looking for 4 people hiding on the ship !! You'll find me in the bar ! or reading or trivia.

We go for the ports but always manage to find great people but you can't avoid a few stinkers.

We just spent 65 days on the Amsterdam and we had pet names for some of them.

'sea'ya soon
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 06:16 AM

You know, it's probably just the fact that sometimes people don't understand that the way they word something on the internet sends out an impression of them. I've met many people that I thought would be snooty because of their emails, but turn out to be really nice in person. While I'm not a Princess fan, I don't think the people on the cruises are much different from the Celebrity cruisers (which I really enjoyed my experience on)... The staff, not sure about that, but I would be so excited to be going up the Amazon (it's on my list), I wouldn't worry about it. Have a GREAT cruise...!
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Debi and Maryann, we always meet great people. The fact that we were invited by another much younger couple who have adopted us is a definite compliment..At our ages we had better do our bucket list..lol..Parrot Pop always wanted to see Machu Picchu and we did in 1986 when it was first opened up.. I've been waiting all t his time to see Manaus and the Opera House and NOBODY, but NOBODY is going to ruin my cruise..We look forward to the days at sea when we can sit in the jacuzzi, read or do crossword puzzles..The village of Boca da Valeria maybe our highlight.. .the way the Kuna Islands were way over 20 years ago..lol
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM

I think Celebrity cruisers have hairier chests and do better belly flops. LOL
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

One t hing for sure.. the Princess people on the other board are classless and a bunch of snobs..lol But you haven't seen the hair on the chest of Parrot Pop, have you? ALSO,, we have a better sense of humor and don't take ourselves seriously
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 02:40 AM

LOL
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

If y our LOL you should hear (read) what I'm dealing with on the CC b oard..One woman inferred that it was a back to back cruise (and she is on both) that I shouldn't be on the other one.. MARYANN WHERE ARE YOU!!! Have decided to toss the "self elected" leader overboard with the crocs one night..lolMerman is hysterical.. he is insistent we do it..
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM

In a completely scientific poll conducted by actors on TV, it was found that 84% of princesses sailed on Celebrity and 72% of celebrities preferred Princess.

It is an ironic world in which we live...
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 12:31 PM

I love muscled hairy chests......
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Really hate to jump into this discussion but ...

I have met Donna on the Ruby in November. Extremely down to earth and very nice person. I have met others at the Ship's meet and greet and they were all nice too.

I am surprised to hear that the people on-line are judgemental and look down their noses at others. I guess there are snobs regardless where you go.

There are always pretenders who likes to play "BIG" and brag about how big the house, and how much money and how many trps etc.

This is how I would deal with them: Tell them that I earned this trip from the "Make a wish foudnation". They heard about my sad story and decided to award me this trip. I have no money, no prospect and not too much longer to live so I am enjoying this, spending money that I don't have on a borrowed credit card. I bet that's the last they will come near you ... unless you have the hairy chest and they like ...
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

It seems that when our traveling friends mention something it's ignored, but when one or two others mention the same thing you would think they discovered gold. We do not nor do I ever intend to list how many and which cruises I've been on and will be on. Can let you in on a secret Maryann.. the second day we are taking cruise down the amazon (not the Elite).. and both Parrot Pop and I, and Merman and his friend will be wearing specially designed t-shirts and caps with our names, the name of the ship and the ports.. BRANDONMD,,,Parrot Pop has more curley hair on his chest now than his head..Interesting in that I've just booked the NCL Gem and the people on that board seem to be fun and interesting..On our Celebrity t/a cruises many in the group have cruised before together and the man leading the group (BOB) is a character..I will miss cruising with them this November..
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 04:01 AM

I just discovered that this thread is still going. Parrott Mom & Pop you'll look real snazzy with the shirt & hat, too. We have done that on other cruises and it was a great conversation starter onboard.

That little clique of 'church ladies' are just as you described. I'm not going to let anyone bother me, I'm sure the majority are just fine. Donna has been great & friendly and I'll help her with the meetings(nametags) and looking forward to meeting her & hubby.(and you, too, of course.)
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi Maryann...this is a safe place from P..lol.. also heard positive about Donna..Merman just received his t-shirts and hats.. we are definetely wearing them on the first full day..Princess seems to be playing games.. just saw the cruise from 3/24 (only) advertised on VTG. As you may have read we did buy insect repellent shirts, one for me and two for PP and some deetless spray==still need YF shot either this week or next. "P" doesn't like the pool games..lol. .she doesn't seem to have a sense of humor..Merman and I meet on TWO other boards..lol Been on a shopping spree...again..lol..Is your other half going to wear a tux? PP won't,but I'll dress up for formal.. Can't believe I just put the deposit down yesterday for the NCL Gem. and booked our hotel and driver..lol.. Called Princess btw and they said the ship is all booked..I think they are playing games.. and that we are still 15 on the wait list.. It maybe "them" and "us"..lol and I hope you'll be joining "us"..lol They are asking for a table for 2.. we want a larger table.. The weather is still cold and frigid here and much of our snow has disappeared but knowing N.E. we could have a major blizzard any day now..lol It seems on the Celebrity cruises we have been on somebody designs shirts..PP designs his own.. I can hardly wait to see what he does for the Gem.. As long as Merman doesn't wear his Yankee baseball cap it should be a fun trip as long as he washing machines are workng..lol
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 02:14 AM

John is wearing the tux w/white jacket. We want a table for 2 also. We are driving all day to Gainesville, Fl. Will checkin soon. Give me an email address, please.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

MERMAN is looking for a table for two also... otherwise they swear they wil eat in their cabin..lol

[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -