Mediterranean Cruise Side Trips?

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 01:11 PM
maggi

Mediterranean Cruise Side Trips?

We are going on a Renaissance Cruise stopping at Santorini, Rhodes, and Kusadisi. Having never done a cruise, being fairly independent and adverturesome travelers, we are wondering whether we should explore on our own, or pay the $60 plus per person for the organized tours. We have 11 hours in each stop. At the moment, we are thinking we will try to do a few things in Santorini on our own and take the tour in Rhodes and Kusadisi. We're not too keen on listening to lectures all day long, or to be herded in large groups. Does anyone have any advice for us?

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 01:23 PM
Deb

Hi Maggi,

I don't know what tours have been been scheduled for you on Santorini but I enjoyed going to Akirtori (sp?), an archeological dig. Santorini was an output of the Minoan culture--this particular dig is very impressive with 2-3 story buildings, etc.

Also I enjoyed the winery tour and visiting Oia. You come up the hill from the cruise ship either by donkey or cablecar and arrive in Fira. In the main square, you can easily get a local bus to Oia. If possible, enjoy the sunset there.

By the way, definitely take the tour in Kusadasi.

Have a great time.

Deb

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 11:03 PM
April

"Herded along in large groups" is exactly it. Unless a place is somewhat dangerous, or the place you want to see is difficult to get to on your own, or transportation is a real concern (as in you might not get back to the ship on time), I would take off on my own. Santorini is easy to get around, and in 11 hours you could wander the town and take a bus to Akrotiri.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 06:57 AM
maggi

Thanks so much to both of you. Since my message, I read cruise reviews by passengers who wrote that many times the tour operators take you to specific vendors and get kick-backs for the sales.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 07:42 AM
Beth

Although its true that the cruise tours do herd you around and they do sometimes take you to vendors where you have to listen to long sales pitches, I still recommend you take the tour of Akrotiri in Santerini. I don't think the site is very meaningful if you try to see it on your own. Also, my cruise ship (Epirotiki lines) was far larger than your Renaissance cruise, and the Akrotiri tour was not that popular. It was one of the few sites where I remember NOT feeling herded around in an oversize group (this was in stark contrast to the tour at Knossos in Crete which was way too crowded, and way too boring) And you'll still have some time to see Thira or Oia on your own.
We took a tour in Kusadasi also, the one to Ephesus and it was great, although this was one where they took us to a rather unpleasant rug dealer on the way back.
I think, on Rhodes, you may be able to see Lindos on your own, and there was loads of shopping near the docks.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 09:53 AM
kristi

Hi Maggi. I would recommend doing Santorini on your own. It was easy to get around by either taxi or bus and you can tour the archealogical site on your own. It wasn't that big and I believe there were markers explaining what stuff was. I would recommend taking the tour to Ephesus when you're docked at Kusadasi. The guide we had was very informative and didn't take us to see any vendors afterward. We took the tour on Rhodes to Lindos and enjoyed it. At least try to go out by yourself although I remember it being a fairly long bus ride from where we docked.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 11:38 AM
Paulo

A mini-car rental in either Santorini or Rhodes costs about US$ 50 for the day (all insurances included).

In Santorini I would definitively rent one as soon as I would get there. This way you wouldn't loose much time waiting for buses. You could visit Akrotiri (buy a guide book), Mount Ilias, maybe Kamari beach and Oia. Return the car in the afternoon and visit Fira last.

IMO it's too much trying to visit Rhodes old town and Lindos on a single day. You would be rushing things. You may either decide visiting the old town (it took us about a full day to do it all) or to rent a car and visit Rhodes' very interesting eastern coast with a 3-hour stop in Lindos. Any good local guide book would give directions to the interesting sites and towns.

Regarding Ephesus ruins and other sites (Mary's house, 7-sleepers' cave, St. John's Basilica, Isa Bey mosque, etc.) I would probably hire a taxi for the day (taxis are very cheap in Turkey). Once again, a good local guide book would probably inform more than a guide in a crowded tour.

Paulo

PS. it didn't take us 30 minutes to rent a car in Santorini and Rhodes and ... yes, we've long given up joining guided tours with more than 10-12 participants.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 07:48 PM
April

You're getting a lot of conflicting advice. Back to Santorini a moment - at Akrotiri there are ongoing tours that you can link up with (or not) and in different languages too, I believe.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 07:41 AM
maggi

What a treasure-trove of information! I love "Forums"! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.

Old Jun 19th, 1999, 02:23 PM
SELMA

WE ARE ALSO TAKING ANOTHER MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE. THIS TIME WITH MY 2 TEENAGERS. THRU THE INTERNET I AM ABLE TO BOOK PRIVATE TOURS, IN EACH PORT THAT THE SHIP WILL STOP. LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT. THE COOLEST THING IS THE BIDDING WARS WITH ALL THE TOUR OPERATORS THAT I E-MAILED. HAVING A GREAT TIME. OF COURSE IT BEATS WAITNG FOR A HERD TO MOVE ALONG.

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 03:31 PM
maggi

I would be very interested in how to obtain those e-mails. I got an e-mail from someone in Turkey offering to take us on a private tour in Kusadisi, with lunch, $50. Is it wise to do this, sight-unseen?

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 04:32 PM
Al

From experience, we can offer the following advice. Find another couple with whom you are simpatico. Once ashore and the hordes of day-trippers have departed in their buses, go over to a cab rank and find yourself a cab driver who speaks reasonable English. The ports you cited have loads of them. Most have lived in the States at sometime or another or have relatives in Cleveland. Anyway, tell him that you four want to have him take you around for four hours or so. Ask what he would charge for this tour. Split that cost among you four and add a good tip at the end if he performs well. If you are interested in photography or history or whatever, tell him up front. I guarantee that you will have a better time, have more fun, have less hassle, and do things you are interested in at your pace. Tell him you are not interested in going shopping (unless, of course, you are). He won't "steer" you.
We've done this over and over and had great adventures. Even been invited to our cabbies' homes, met their families, etc. The organized shore tours are one of the oldest rip-offs going, and the shipping companies are in on the take up to their armpits.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 06:56 AM
maggi

Thank so much, Al. Good advice-we will certainly use it.