Reload this Page >

Meditations on Paris

Search

Meditations on Paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 05:14 AM
sabrina

Meditations on Paris

Dear travel lovers, <BR> <BR>I'd like to give all of those who've posted wonderful tips on traveling to Paris a sincere thanks. I just returned after a whirlwind five-day trip (not enough time, just enough to whet my appetite for more!) <BR> <BR>Your tips about everything from where to stay to how to bypass entrance lines at the Louvre to where to eat helped this solo traveler immensely. I'd like to share just a few tips of my own tips with others who also might be visiting for the first time. <BR> <BR>1.) Don't forget to bring your own washcloth as most of the hotels don't provide them. <BR> <BR>2.) Pick up a "WHERE" Paris magazine. It is available at almost every hotel and throghout the city. It is in English, it's free and is a tremendous resource for everything you might want to see, eat, do. It also has a metro map, a map of the city and includes important telephone numbers for airlines, etc. It even includes long distance access numbers -- extremely handy for me as I forgot to get mine from MCI before I left home. <BR> <BR>3.) Stop by the tourist office at 127 Champs-Elysse. A tremendous resource where you can exchange money, buy museum passes AND get booked on any tour or reservations for any cabaret you want. <BR> <BR>4.) The museum pass is the best bargain ever. But get the 3-day pass. You'll never get to everything you want to see with the one-day pass, a lesson I learned while I was there. The 3-day pass is 160ff, about $26US. <BR> <BR>5.) Once you get your museum pass, go directly through the Richelieu entrance at the Louvre. Couldn't tell you how great I felt bypassing that HUGE main line. The Louvre stays open until 10 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays. But be forewarned -- still, go EARLY, as close to the 9 a.m. opening as you can. Nothing like watching 150 or so "adults" pushing and shoving to get a picture of the Mona Lisa. The guided tour in English is wonderful but again -- do it early. The later in the day, the bigger the crowds. <BR> <BR>6.) It may not look so fashionable, but for peace of mind wear a money belt. With all the pickpocketing that goes on there I was surprised to see so many people with backpacks and purses gaped open, exposing valuables, and men with their wallets in their back pockets, just waiting to be plucked. <BR> <BR>7.) I can't stress this enough: Bring comfortable walking shoes. Don't be ashamed to wear your white sneakers for fear of "looking" like a tourist. Trust me, everyone, including Parisiens, are wearing them (New Balance seems to have replaced Nike as the preferred brand) and they're probably the only shoes that will keep your feet comfortable for all the walking you'll be doing. <BR> <BR>8.) Rather than wracking your brain trying to figure out where to eat everyday, go to a market and pack a picnic. You'll save lots of money and still eat well in a beautiful park setting. There's a nice park area near the Eiffel Tower. <BR> <BR>9.) Go to the Eiffel Tower at sunset. Not only are the lines shorter then, the view is simply breathtaking. <BR> <BR>10.) Learn key phrases. Can't tell you how much it helped to approach Parisiens with "Bonjour," "Ca va?" "A bientot," "Au revoir" and, maybe most important, "Parlez-vous anglais?" They warm up to you much more when they see you've made the effort to learn some of the language. <BR> <BR>Again, a heartfelt "merci boucoup" to everyone who gave such wonderful tips for a fabulous trip. <BR> <BR>J'aime Paris!

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 07:08 AM
Lori

Uh oh, you've gone and done it now. Fallen in love with Paris. Welcome to the club and glad you had a great time.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 07:14 AM
sabrina

Lori, <BR>It's a club I'm glad to be a part of! <BR> <BR>I'd love to hear favorite tips of others too. I'm sure in my post-jet lag euphoria I've left some things out.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 09:10 AM
karen

Sabrina, <BR>Wow, it sounds like you had a wonderful time. I am going in October for the first time and I will keep your tips in mind. Thanks for the advice and glad you had a wonderful time. I can't wait to get there!

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 09:12 AM
tamara

Hi, <BR>I have another gem, for ladies in particular: If you love perfume and cosmetics, don't miss the store Sephora on the Champs-Elysse. It is a girly-girl's dream. Rows and rows of perfume and makeup. Good prices too. And it stays open well into the night. <BR> <BR>Good tips, Sabrina

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 09:16 AM
kendra

To Sabrina: I'm curious, where did you stay? When I was there I stayed in the 5th and loved it. Lots of great cafes and safe area. Close to the metro too.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 09:17 AM
elvira

Oh poor Sabrina; your life is never going to be the same. Every time you hear Edith Piaf or wispy accordian music, you'll get a lump in your throat. Every movie that's filmed in Paris, you'll go see. You'll watch "Highlander" reruns for a glimpse of Notre Dame. There will be a certain combination of aromas - a little diesel, a little Chanel No 5, a little freshlyl-baked croissant - that will draw you up short and make you stop what you're doing. Every time you hear French spoken, you'll secretly try to figure out what was said, or at least pick out a couple of words you understand. A French accent sounds familiar. When someone says they are going to Paris, you're at first excited for them, then the green-eyed monster raising its ugly head and you have to fake it. Some blockhead at work says "oh damn I have to go to Paris next week for this &*^%#* company, and I don't want to" and you believe a slow, painful death is too good for him. <BR> <BR>Welcome to the club or, more likely, the support group.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 10:21 AM
Lori

Elvira is sooooooo right. My friends are going the end of September, and at first I was thrilled for them, now insanely jealous. We're taking them to the airport and I told them to be ready for a fight at the gate

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 11:04 AM
sabrina

Kendra, <BR>I also stayed in the 5th arr. I stayed at the Hotel St. Christophe on Rue LaCepede. It's a great little place. Right down the street from Rue Mouffetard, which was a wonderfully funky little hangout. Already I'm missing my favorite little crepe place where, every single day, I had a chocolate, banana and Grand Marnier crepe. Tres bien!

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 11:57 AM
Tammy

Sabrina, <BR> <BR>Sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful trip. I am going to Paris next September and I can hardly wait, especially after reading your post. I have been to Paris once before for only a day and a half. It was just enough time for me to fall in love with Paris and long to go back. September 2000 won't get here soon enough !!!!

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 12:23 PM
Lori

Hey Sabrina, I think I answered your earlier post about the Hotel St. Christophe. Glad you liked it.