McDonald's more profitable in France than anywhere else in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Roubaix Journal in the NY Times(also online). Thought Anthony GA would get a laugh out of this...

"McDonald's is more profitable in France than anywhere else in Europe. Sales have increased 42 percent over the past five years. Some 1.2 million French, or 2 percent of the population, eat there every day... Contrary to the myth that the French spend hours sitting around the table savoring small portions of several courses, the films showed them eating in front of their television sets, while on the telephone and even alone. In fact, the average French meal, which 25 years ago lasted 88 minutes, is just 38 minutes today."

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 08:38 PM

I already knew about it. McDonald's has been doing very well in France for many years, even though they lock their emergency exits (a pet peeve for me).

Some French people—a small minority—still eat in the old way. But today most French people have to work long hours just to pay the bills, and long meals are simply not an option. There are too many other interesting things in life to justify spending large amounts of time on meals.

As I've said before, I've even seen French schoolchildren being fed McDonald's for lunch on field trips. The school even makes reservations!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:39 AM

Statistics! McDonald's customers in France as everywhere are not'star' restaurant regulars. I suspect its customers are upgrading from the 'brown bag' group. McDonald's along with other fast food franchises supplies standard high quality food in a super sanitary manner and also offers comfortable and clean restrooms. Customers get 'one use' utensils. Does anyone know of a health problem at any McDonald's outlet?
My mother always checked a restaurants restroom before deciding to give it her business.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 01:20 AM

I've also read that the McDonald's in Austria are more profitable *per capita* than elsewhere in Europe. I eat at McDonald's about once every four or five months and do have a weakness for the occasional McDeluxe, which is only served in some countries. And for some reason, I've found the McDonald's in Germany, Austria and Belgium *seem* to be using better beef than the McDonald's in the UK and Netherlands (ate once at McD's in the UK attached to an ASDA--the McD and ASDA experiences were equally awful, the food even worse than at Belgium's Quick chain). The McD in France fell in between.
Meanwhile, that same article noted that obesity in French children is growing at 17% annually and that they'll "catch up" with the U.S. in fattiness by 2020.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/25/in...rticle_popular

Sadly, an article in the Sunday (London) Times showed that the French are increasingly unhappy with their sex lives. Correlation? Who knows. Maybe it's just the media's annual Criticize France week.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 01:56 AM

<the French are increasingly unhappy with their sex lives. Correlation? Who knows.> LOL!
At least I would say chocolate instead of a hamburger! funny idea!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 02:00 AM

So McDonald's now reveals detailed profitability figures on each country does it?

Where? Certainly not in any of the reports it's filed.

This claim is a canard. There's no authoritative source for it. And what does it mean anyway? Highest net profit? Highest percentage net margin? Highest return on capital?

Fact is, it suits McDonalds' PR to let this kind of uncheckable myth drift out. ("Look how even the French love us&quot

It suits the career aspirations of the local country manager too. And it suits lazy journalists to repeat it.

When a company releases data (or in this case, lets anecodtes drop out) it's not legally required to, it's doing so to suit its own purposes. And it's as credible as tooth fairies.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 02:35 AM

A lot of people don’t really grasp what McDonalds main business is these days. Put it this way, if it were listed on the LSE it would be listed as a property company, as that’s where it makes its serious money.

So the possibility of France being the most profitable area for it does make sense, French property prices are, relatively, low, and McDonalds franchise prices are pretty much the same every where.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:25 AM

Actually, Jean-Pierre Petit, then (still?) director of McDonald's France said on French TV more than once that the French McDo's is the most profitable in Europe. Some of the figures he mentioned can be found on their French website.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 04:24 AM

Just think...now if you want to "blend in" you might actually have to eat, or at least show up in, a McDonald's... and actually contribute in some way to their profitability.

Next thing you know we'll find out that some "chain hotel" is actually more profitable in Europe than elsewhere and those who are scared to death of being identified as a tourist will be distraught.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 04:32 AM

"Some 1.2 million French, or 2 percent of the population, eat there every day ..."

I wonder how they know that all the customers are French?

Anselm
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 04:40 AM

they're the ones that don't queue up!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:24 AM
ira

>...the average French meal, which 25 years ago lasted 88 minutes, is just 38 minutes today.<

Back in the early 60's (I think) Art Buchwald wrote of having a light lunch at a sidewalk cafe in Paris, in the French manner.

During his 2-hr repast, a number of his French friends stopped by, gobbled a sandwich and went on.

Le plus ça change....

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:29 AM

<Le plus ça change....> sorry ira, what do you mean? there is a word missing maybe
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Do they sell McFrogLegs there?
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM

Coco, I think the phrase is "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."

Anselm
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 09:43 AM

bravo Anselm, this was a tough one!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Fishee, you don't realize how offensive this is to some of the more opinionated Francophiles that participate in this forum.

The popularity of McDonalds in France has been reported on in the Economist for several years. Expansion and profits have been impressive during the past decade. French elitists may despise McDonalds, but the commoners seem addicted to McFood.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:09 AM
ira

My dear coco,

Is that a saying that has gone out of use in France?

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 11:14 AM

My dear ira, was it the sentence you meant?
If so, it is not that common and
I'm very suprised to see 56100 answers when I google the sentence!