May weather in London/Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving in 2 wks for 8 day trip. Going to carry on luggage so it is important to pick appropriate clothing. This is the list....please advise. 3 teens and 2 adults

2 jeans
1 short
1 dress pant/skirt
5 shirts
pj's
extra shoes
rain jacket
light jacket
undies & socks

Old May 6th, 2008, 09:45 AM

You're unlikely to need shorts and extremely likely to need a sturdy folding umbrella and 2 pairs of broken in, comfy waterproofed walking shoes.

I always travel with a very light pair of rubber flip flops - since you never know who has used any of the tubs/showers before you do.
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:53 AM

I wholeheartedly agree - in all likelihood there will not be one day where you'll even think about wearing the shorts. I was in long sleeves and a jacket in Edinburgh last June. Good walking shoes are a must. I'm not sure I'd bother with both jackets - my rain jacket IS my light jacket, unless you're talking about an extra jacket to wear with the dress pants. Even then, I'd leave it home unless you have a very fancy occasion.
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM

I'd trade the shorts for a light weight sweater
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, joebear,

I suggest bringing t-shirts rather then shirts per se as they are easy to layer - t-shirt, followed by a shirt worn open, followed all too often by a jumper/fleece.

in May rather than an actual jacket i would pack a fold-away waterproof - worn over the other 3 layers you'll be warm enough unless we get some unseasonal snow [it could happen!].

in my experience, jeans are not much good in the wet - I'd wear jeans to travel [as they are the most bulky to pack] along with my stoutest shoes, and pack one pair of light trousers eg chinos and a pair of heavier trousers - eg cords along with my spare shoes/trainers.

unless you are going to the opera or a posh restaurant, don't bother with the skirt or dress "pants" [sorry, I can't get used to the american word for trousers - pants always makes me think of knickers!] - no-one else will.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:26 PM

Take a polartec that will work under your rain jacket. No need for a light jacket. One cotton turtleneck shirt could come in handy.
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM

<<< You're unlikely to need shorts >>>

23C in Edinburgh today - that's around 75 in old money

Of course this time next week it's just as likely to be 2-3C
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:50 PM

I said "unlikely" - which I think you'll agree is true. Any place can have one or two days that are especially hot or cold - but SCotland in May is not really shorts weather.

We were there in late June. When we left London - 5 days before, the daytime high had been about 80. By the time we got to Edinburgh it was rainy, windy and in the high 40's.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd leave the shorts home. Sure - It <i>might</i> be warm. But it will not be hot. A pair of light weight slacks (chinos or such) would be cool enough if it gets warm-ish, but warm enough for most days.

I'd take <u>one</u> pair of jeans and one pair of other slacks. Then wear another pair of slack or jeans on the plane. That is three &quot;bottoms&quot;. Then you can take all sorts of tops - just make sure they all coordinate and can mix/match/layer. Two t-shirts, 1 polo, one long sleeved polo-type, another couple of shirts to be worn alone or over the t-shirts/polo, a pull over sweater, wind breaker.

You can easily take more than that in a carry on w/o stuffing it.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:21 PM

The temperature today in central London will be at least 25 (77 in Fahrenheit). For people unfortunate enough to live in the skin-cancer belt, that might be fine, in spite of the likelihood of growing humidity.

But for those of us lucky enough to live in a country with year-round equable weather, that means a day when you wear shorts to go round London unless you're doing something (like meeting a client or appearing in court) where it wouldn't be to your advantage.

Yesterday began to get uncomfortably hot and sweaty if you were doing any exertion. Wearing something as heavy and rain-unfriendly as jeans would have been really uncomfortable.

Could well be different in a couple of weeks. Actually: certainly will be different - but you can't even try predicting our weather.

The real answer is to pack for a range of weathers. If that means checking your bags in - well, I'd rather spend half an hour waiting for bags (after an 8 hour flight, what difference does it make?) than an hour sweating in Oxford Street queues to buy shorts.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
joebear: to give you a bit of a comparison -- I'm a Californian who lived in the UK for several years. Sort of know both ends of the weather spectrum. You know what sorts of weather you are used to/comfortable. I love LOVE the weather in the UK - and even had roadsters while living there.

And I have worn shorts from time to time in England and even once in Scotland - but only a time or two was it actually hot enough to require shorts. It was more wishful thinking - &quot;<i>Oh, today it is 75F and I should dig out those shorts I know are packed away somewhere.</i>&quot;

The average May high in Edinburgh is approx 57F and average low around 42F. 62-66 will be blissful - but you could also have 50.

London May average high is 68F and low 46.

The weather is nothing if not changeable - but 90 degree shorts weather -- not very likely. Shorts don't take up much room so take a pair if you want. But a fleece will probably be more useful.
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:42 AM

I don't think there's a need for a rain jacket and a light jacket - if you have a rain jacket that will be plenty. Even if it's sunny in the morning, chances are you'll see rain at some point in the day in Scotland! I always just travel about with my waterproof shell and a fleece/sweater to layer as necessary.