May Weather in Ireland

Search

May Weather in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2023, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
May Weather in Ireland

Starting to plan a trip in the Spring to Ireland. I have never been and it would be for about 4-5 weeks. I have googled the various weather sites to try and get a feel for the weather in May. If we left early May instead of mid May would that make a much of a difference in the weather? That's what I have been wondering. We'd spend the bulk of the trip in May. If we left mid/later May we'd spend some time in May but the remainder in June. Would it make much of a difference. I'm thinking the earlier in May maybe fewer people? What are your thoughts? Thanks
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the weather in Ireland is entirely unpredictable! I spent 3 weeks there when I was in college between semesters in January. Not a drop of rain until I was on my way to the airport to drive home. During my honeymoon in May many years ago, we had a week there and it rained every single day until the late evening when the skies cleared with the promise of blue skies. We awoke to rain each day! I was there in April this year and we had a mixed bag - a couple of gorgeous days on the east coast and a couple of pissy days in Galway. But, pack the right footwear, an umbrella and an accepting attitude and you’ll be fine.
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Nylily, Thanks! And whenever we go we will be prepared. What type of shoes do you recommend?
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 03:18 PM
P_M

We spent 10 days in Ireland in May 1997 and never saw a drop, but I've heard that's not the norm. The secret in guaranteeing sunshine is to buy new umbrellas and rain gear, and then it won't rain. It worked for us.
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 03:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"If we left early May instead of mid May would that make a much of a difference in the weather?"

Absolutely no way to know - could be lovely in April, horrible in July, or vice versa. It is an island and weather comes at Ireland from every direction. Could be calm and sunny in the morning, raining sideways at lunchtime, and nice in the evening. And 100% different in Dublin than in Galway.

Pack layers, waterproofs, and sturdy shoes.
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 05:01 PM

We were there in the last 2 weeks in May 2022 and the weather was perfect! It poured down rain the first day but then just an occasional shower during the night. The temperature ranged from 58-78 degrees. But we were lucky. After we returned, we checked the weather there, and it rained heavily for a week straight. But that is why it is so gorgeously green.

You need to pick the most convenient time for you, because you can't predict the weather. It was not crowded at all when we were there and we even stayed in and enjoyed Killarney!
You need layers, at least a thigh length raincoat, gloves, scarf, waterproof hiking shoes( I love Oboz.) Also, bring a rain hat, umbrellas are useless in blustery, sideways rain. P_M is so right, because we packed everything we didn't need much! Enjoy!
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 03:32 AM

Shoes are always my Achille’s heel because I’m a bit of a clothes horse and believe they can make or break an outfit. 🙂. I’d recommend something with a sturdy bottom to keep your feet under you on what can be slick cobblestones. For me that means a pair of Doc Marten’s, either low boots or maryjanes. Clark’s or Dansko clogs also work as good walking shoes that still can look cute with a casual skirt or dress. I always have a pair of running shoes in case the mood strikes and, this year, I brought my older pair. Knowing that I was due for a new pair, I left them behind when I came home to lighten my load as I generally pack just carryon baggage. Pro tip: always wear your weightiest shoes for travel, pack the lighter pair(s).
Old Jul 13th, 2023, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

nylilly - i'm with you on shoes. I do the same with running shoes. Take an old pair and leave behind. Carry on is definitely the way I go. Thanks! Finding waterproof comfortable decent looking shoes will be a challenge.

coral22 - We are retired so totally flexible with the when and how long. And it got warm for you. Thanks for sharing your experience. It is helpful.

janis j -- "Pack layers, waterproofs, and sturdy shoes." Yep, plan on that irrespective of when we go.

pm -- "We spent 10 days in Ireland in May 1997 and never saw a drop, but I've heard that's not the norm. The secret in guaranteeing sunshine is to buy new umbrellas and rain gear, and then it won't rain. It worked for us.
" Isnt that always the way it is? Thanks!