Reload this Page >

Mastercard in Paris

Search

Mastercard in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:57 AM
danna

Mastercard in Paris

I was looking at guidebook that noted "MC not accepted" in many upscale Parisiene restaurants. Is this correct? I thought Visa and Mastercard were pretty much the same thing. I wanted to get a "safety" card, should I get another Visa or American Express? Thanks.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:04 AM
Patrick

I've actually been called a liar for saying this, but it is true, so I'll repeat it. I have had MasterCard refused at a couple of restaurants that were willing to take Visa, I think always in France, but possibly in Italy as well. When I explained that Master Card was just like Europe Card, they said it didn't matter -- they didn't take that either. So yes, it is possible to find some places that will take Visa and not Master Card. And one lone time in Stockholm we went to a very upscale restaurant that wouldn't take Visa or Mastercard but would take American Express.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:13 AM
Statia

Might want to get that Visa. I've noticed that in most overseas travel, Visa seems to be more widely accepted.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:28 AM
Susan

In ordering tickets, etc., via the net for our upcoming Paris trip, I found some places only take VISA or Amex. Get a VISA just in case and test drive it at home to make sure it is activated. I used my MasterCard at all the ATMs we used last year and had no problems with that.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:44 AM
harley

Master Card from Chase charges 2% for each transaction abroad but Visa from Chase does not. It is worthy to check with your bank. Only place that our MC was refused was Costa Rica. It never happend in France or Italy. I would get Visa

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:57 AM
Christina

Mastercard and Visa are two different card systems, so they aren't the same thing and some places won't take MC (or AMEX) if they don't have an agreement with them. I've never seen a place in Paris that took credit cards not take VISA, however, def. get that one.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 11:34 AM
Dick Yeager

Harley,<BR><BR>To clarify, Visa and Master Charge charge a 1% conversion fee. Additional fees are determined by the individual banks.<BR><BR>For example: Citi-Bank adds 2%. Capital One adds 0%.<BR><BR>Dick

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:27 PM
Greg Gallagher

I know its easy with a wife that loves fashion, but I managed to spend $5000.00 on my mastercard in one week. Printemps, Coach, Yves, and every restaurant including Les Petites Chaise took it. Had the Amex as always as a back up (Amex socks it to you on conversion rate), but never used it.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:56 PM
harley

Dick<BR>Our Visa does not charge any conversion fee (not even 1%) but MC does 2%. I researched this very carefully after my European trip when I used my MC not knowing about those differences.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 01:11 PM
Sue

Harley, the extra fee is determined by the BANK the card is associated with, not whether it is Visa or MC. MBNA and Capital One charge 0% on MCs and Visas; most of the others charge 2%.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 03:19 PM
carmenr

To Harley-- I will be in Paris this Saturday and just checked with Chase as I have a Platinum Visa card with them. I was told there is a 2% fee on their Mastercard as well as on their Visa card. So I'm back to opting for MBNA which does not have this fee.<BR>Carmenr

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 05:44 PM
Jason

My experiences in many restaurants in different small towns in europe were that a Visa card was most likely to be accepted, followed by MC, and finally the least accepted was AMEX.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 05:52 PM
StCirq

I have a Mastercard and Visa, neither of which charges a % for overseas purchases (it does depend on the issuing bank, not on the card itself), and I use them interchangeably. I think I have detected a small preference for Visa over Mastercard in France, but nothing that amounts to a big deal.In my relatively small town, Mastercard is accepted readily by most vendors. I actually prefer to use Amex whenever possible because I get mileage points and prefer having to pay the full amount upon receipt of the bill - no telling myself I'll pay it over two months instead of one. Forced payment works well for my personal bill paying scheme. And I've already gotten a couple of free tickets to France courtesy of Amex, so that's a plus.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:57 AM
Chris

Visa. Don't count on MC -- in France they don't always take it (it's rare that they don't, but when they don't...!)

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:49 AM
Jeff

There are so many misconceptions people have and I've tried to be helpful by presenting the correct facts but some people just don't listen. So here goes again.<BR><BR>1. All banks pass along the 1% conversion fee Visa/MC apply on foreign transactions. If your bank tells you there is no fee, they're liars. They receive the charge already converted and already including the 1% charge. They are not going to rebate this believe me.<BR><BR>2. Some banks, far from all, charge an additional 2% to convert foreign transaction into US currency. They do not list this charge separately. If you do your credit card business with Citibank, Chase, First USA, Bank of America, Providian you are being socked with this carge. The only exception I know of is the British Airways card with First USA which as of this writing has still escaped this charge.<BR><BR>3. Calling customer service reps of these crooked banks will do you no good. They either lie or have no idea what you are talking about.<BR><BR>4. I don't understand people who make dumb statements like MC charges me more than Visa. Neither MC or Visa have anything to do with the additional 2% rip off. It's Citibank MC that charges more than Capital One Visa.<BR><BR>Don't do business with any credit card company tht imposes the 2% charge unless you believe, in your heart of hearts, that it is important to you to get the frequent flyer mileage. That issue is debateable but I have no way of realy knowing how significant tht is.<BR><BR>But others should not be using credit cards issued by the above noted banks for any foreign transactions unless you like tossing 2% of whatever you charge out the window. And don't fall for their garbage that it is better than exchanging cash. Sure it is as exchanging cash is the dumbest way to do foreign travel but it is nowhere near as good as being a smart consumer and only using a credit card not issued by any bank that charges you the additional 2%.<BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:08 AM
sandra

also widely accepted over amex is diners club carte blanche wich is now offered by citibank. it also gives you miles/points just one more option while traveling in europe