Master Card widely accepted in Italy?

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Mark

Master Card widely accepted in Italy?

Two years ago in Italy I was using a Visa card and didn't pay attention as to whether Master Card was also widely accepted. However, during this year's trip I'd like to earn the airline ff points by using my Master Card. I assume that just about anywhere that accepts Visa will also accept Master Card, but you know what they say about "assuming"...
Could you Italy travelers and residents tell me whether my assumption is correct? Many thanks in advance!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 07:03 AM
John

Hi Mark,

My wife and I always take MC and Visa. On the last three trips to Italy (Naples/Capri/Amalfi, Rome, Florence, Genoa, Pisa, Venice and points between) we used Mastercard exclusively.

Same reason you are planning to use it.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Ian

In Italy I believe that both Visa and Mastercard are processed through a joint system called CartaSi so generally wherever you see the CartaSi sign (which is usually accompanied also by the Visa and Mastercard signs) your card will work. In fact some (smaller, out of the way)establishments don't even realize that they can take both Visa or Mastercard as they only display the CartaSi sign. If you face this problem just ask them to swipe the card and I am sure they will be happy to accept your sale !

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Patrick

The two of us each carry a card --one of us Visa and one Master Card. Rarely is there any difference, however on several occassions we have had restaurants refuse to take Master Card, but agree to take Visa. No explanation would make them do otherwise. I have never found the opposite to be true. Then the really odd one was the very nice restaurant in Stockholm which refused to take either Visa or Master Card but did accept American Express. You just never know -- but these are rare instances.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 02:02 PM
mike

Didn't have any trouble using Mastercard in Florence and Milan last Spring (2001).

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Cheryl Z.

We take a Visa, MC,AX and a Diners too; had a similar experience as Patrick's once - but it was Diners that they took, nothing else! (also we're always trying to rack up the FF miles! )

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Jo

I have used Mastercard all over Italy on 3 trips there with no problems, apart from the Benetton shop in Florence. For some reason it took 1/2 hour each time (2 visits to shop) for the authorisation to come through "from Rome" (according to the shop assistant).

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 06:07 PM
chris

visa and mastercard are always sold together. if one is accepted, the other will also be accepted

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 06:13 PM
notsosure

Why does Sam's warehouse accept Visa, but not MC?