Punts or Euros?

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Mel

Punts or Euros?

Anyone know if the grace period for using local currency has ended? I have some Irish Punts left from a previous trip and wondered if I should bother toting them along in two weeks when I return to the Republic of Ireland.<BR><BR>Thanks for your help!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 09:35 AM
hilary

I am pretty sure the grace period for use of punts has ended-just in the last day or two,but they can be exchanged at any Irish bank for euros.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Gregory

Yes the grace period ended on Saturday midnight but as Hilary said just take them in to any Irish bank.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Bob Brown

The last date that the punt was legal tender has past; it was February 9, 2002.<BR>Individual banks have the right to exchange or not exhange punts for euros based on the bank's own decision.<BR><BR>Old currency can still be exchanged at national banks for a long time to come.<BR>No deadline has yet been set in Ireland for exchanging Irish national currency at a branch of Irish National Bank.<BR><BR>I do not know if merchants will accept them any longer or not. http://www.euro.ecb.int/en/section1/timetable.IE.html<BR>The above is a source of info.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Mel

Sorry to bring this to the top, but I wanted to thank Hilary, Gregory and Bob.