Masseria recommendation in Puglia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2024, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your favorite masserie (or is it masseries?) in Puglia that serve amazing dinners in the Valle D’Itria and Savelletri areas?

I'm looking for a masseria to stay at in September with my husband and 2 year old son, ideally around $175-300 a night but I would go as high as $450 a night. I am looking for one with excellent breakfasts that also serves dinner. We stayed at an amazing agriturismo (Agriturismo Marciano in Tuscany) that had communal farm to table dinners with wine and I am hoping to find somewhere similar. We will have a car. A pool would be nice but is not a dealbreaker.

We will be in Puglia for two weeks so will probably pick 2 or 3 bases. I was thinking one in Valle D’Itria and one in the Savelletri area. We will also stay at a hotel in Matera (not sure where yet).

For the Savelletri area, do you have any recommendations for somewhere to stay that would be close to a beautiful sandy beach and/or beach club appropriate for a 2 year old?

Thank you!
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 02:41 PM

If you can stretch your budget, SEXTANTIO CIVITA in Matera gave us one of our most memorable hot stays ever. You will not likely find anything to rival this hotel,, visually or service wise, not to mention that fantastic food.

I've spent a lot of time around Savelletri but we stayed at Torre Maizza. There are many more hotels I the area now than when we made our trip to the region.

Besides Savelletri, the a look at Pezze di Greco and Speziale, all part of the Fasano district.
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 05:30 PM

We loved our stay at Masseria Cervarolo in the Valle d'Itria near Ostuni. Property was lovely, food was delicious, staff were nice and helpful and it made a good base for sightseeing around the area. They have a very nice, large pool with snacks and drink service there, large free parking area, they offered wine nights with a guest sommelier giving a talk, and cooking classes when we stayed there.
When we stayed they had the half board option to have dinner on property (breakfast is included in the rate and was very good), we did the dinner option some nights and it was a lot of food, and delicious!
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 11:51 PM

If you are ready to pay from 400 euros per night and enjoy good cuisine, then I think you should open the Michelin Guide and choose a place based on their recommendations. Perhaps something from their list will suit you
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 09:35 AM

First off, Michelin does not list only very expensive hotels.

Second, I'm not sure Michelin would be the best source to find a masseria in Puglia.
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 09:47 AM

Staying at a cave hotel in Masseria appeals to us. Did you stay 1 night or more? Was it at all too dark or claustrophobic? Thank you.
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 11:35 AM

I think you meant to say Matera. A Masseria is a fortified farmhouse in Puglia, many of which have been turned into hotels.
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 04:19 PM

Yes, I think you do mean cave hotel in Matera. None of them have very much light but some are luxurious and all around fabulous. The "best" one, the one I mentioned above, is SEXTANTIO LE GROTTE DELLA CIVITA but it is very expensive. There are quite a few other really nice ones and you need to read reviews..some can be dark and damp.

I've been twice to Matera and stayed three nights on the first trip and three last year, if I am remembering correctly. I would not go t here on a day trip.

Maybe you are thinking of "trulli" hotels in Puglia, in the area called "the Murgia."

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Apr 29th, 2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 03:13 AM

I did mean Matera - sorry. Thank you for your help - I think we'll plan on 2 nights.
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 01:05 PM

Yes, 2 nights for sure in Matera:

I wrote this after our most recent visit, about 8 months ago...there is a section on Matera, where we spent two nights and had fantastic meals; start on page 3 for Matera:

Live! Very brief report on a few southern italian destinations