Marvao or Evora?

Jan 7th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Marvao or Evora?

Travelling from Pinhao to Evora for two nights but I've been researching here and seems Marvao is well liked too. With only two days do you think it's better to stay in Marvao and daytrip to Evora or vice versa? Thanks for your recommendations.
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Oh boy, that is tough.
Marvao is a tiny hilltop village, while Evora is a busy mid-sized city with a major University--they cannot be compared. And, I feel it would be tough to day trip from one to the other. There is more to see and do in Evora, but do stop in Marvao if you can work out the logistics--great photo ops.
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:45 PM

I think a day trip between Marvao and Evora is a little tough.

Don't miss at least stopping in Marvao. If you decide to spend the night, we were at the D.Dinis right next to the castle. Talk about photo ops. Our room had a balcony and we could see forever.

There is more to do and see in Evora, but Marvao is magical.
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM

Hi Lily; Much depends on where you are going after these two nights. If flying out of Lisbon, Evora is closer and all on a major highway. Marvao is on both a minor and major highway. So, Pinhao to Evora is a solid 5 hour drive. If you don't mind the long days, then you could spend two or three hours in Marvao on the way to Evora. Then you would have a little time in Evora the first night. You would have the next whole day in Evora. ENJOY Iris
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:20 PM

During our trip to Portugal, we stayed overnight in Marvao and visited Evora on the way back to Lisbon.

Marvao was one of the highlights of our trip. Here's the URL of my web page on this trip.

http://www.travel.stv77.com/portugal/pt.htm
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:55 PM

Hi, Lily,
I think it depends on
-- whether you have two nights (and thus essentially three days)or two days
--your tolerance for driving and
-- whether you want to see an amazing castle (with the great views Sher talks about) in a tiny town or a bigger town with a Roman theater.

Pinhao to Evora is about 400 km, sticking Marvao in there adds about 80-90 km on to the trip. Iris has a good idea about stopping in Marvao on the way to Evora. Lots of the drive would be on secondary roads, more interesting but more time consuming.

I guess I'll also throw out the opinion that Evora is not one of my favorite Portuguese cities. I've been there two or three times, the longest time was two nights in the pousada there, which is very nice but not among the nicest (again just my opinion). You can eat well, the Roman theater is interesting, but for whatever reason it just has never grabbed me the way other cities in Portugal have.

We drove from Pinhao back to Lisbon this fall and here's a link to what I wrote up: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...reynold1&fid=2

IMO, Marailva (which we visited on the way back from the Douro) is a great castle to visit, but nothing tops Marvao!

Laurie
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the feedback, very much appreciated.

Laurie, I couldn't find your post on driving from Pinhao to Lisbon - can you be more specific as the post you left takes me to all of your posts.

From Evora or Marvoa we are going to Salema for five nights then back to Lisbon. How about we stay in Marvoa for two nights then see Evora on our way back to Lisbon? We will arrive in Marvoa after the long drive from Pinhao which we don't have to rush if we only expect to get there by evening, sleep in Marvoa, tour around the next day, sleep again in Marvoa, then leave the next morning for Salmea - sound like a plan?
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Sorry, Lily, my computer skills are really pretty sub-par. I think this should be the link to the Douro trip: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35157927

I would think that two nights in Marvao might be too much, but others would probably disagree. I think it's a great destination for a total relax weekend, for instance, but if you are going to be in tourism mode, you might not want to have hours to spend lounging around, and there's really not that much to do in Marvao-- several hours to see the castle, walk around the walls, enjoy the views, etc. Just depends on how you want to spend your time.

Would this be too rushed?

Day 1 -- Pinhao -- drive to Marvao (I think it's probably not much more than 4 1/2 hours driving time, so you would have time to stop, and you would get there for sunset in Marvao, which is awesome.

Day 2 -- See Marvao, drive to Evora (2 hours?) in afternoon, evening in Evora

Day 3 -- see Evora, drive to Salema when done touring. (probably about a 3-4 hour drive)

Just another idea. Laurie
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Another good idea, thanks Laurie. We're not the type to hotel hop and usually like to stay at least two nights but in this case might just make most sense. thanks!