Marriott Champs-Elysees from CDG

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone please suggest the route I should take to the Marriott Champs-Elysees from CDG. My new wife and I will be arriving around 9:30 a.m. I know I could take a taxi from the airport but I think it will be pretty expensive to do that? (am i right? cost maybe 60-70 dollars depending upon exchange rate?) Can I take the metro from the airport to the hotel and is this advisable considering are both novices at using the metro and we will both have all of our luggage for 10 days with us. Thanks for any and all help.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:53 AM

How much luggage is "all of our luggage for 10 days?"
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:57 AM

Yes, it sure could cost you US$60-70 from the airport, but why is that so expensive if you are staying at the Marriott? That's only about US$30 per person. If you were alone, you'd have to pay that much just to take a shuttle van. No, it is not advisable if you don't know how to use an underground system and never have.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Not sure how much luggage is all our luggage for 10 days. I imagine that there will be at least 4 bags. Also, we are not paying for the room. My parents have done since it is our honeymoon. If I could get there for much cheaper, I would rather spend the money on something else like food or wine!
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:37 AM

OK Naughty, so you're going to start off what will be an amazing marriage (I'm sure) by asking your bride to schlepp her luggage on the train? Naaah, I am a budget traveller but in that budget is to be "on vacation" and I have taken the taxis. Particularly when there were two of us. The taxi is around 50E's.
When I traveled solo, I was content to take the AirFrance bus into town then catch a cab.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:47 AM

Geez, quit trying to make up OP's mind for her, will you?

One alternative you might want to explore is the Roissybus (basically a city bus, but with extra luggage racks), which lands at Opéra;, right next to the American Express office.

From there, you can
1) Take a taxi for €7 or so (recommended with luggage)
2) Take a city bus (requires a change)
3) Ride the Métro (tricky for a beginner - and the hotel is halfway between two stops about 700 yards apart)
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:47 AM

My thinking exactly. I doubt your new bride will be impressed at having the schlepp luggage after an all-night (I assume) flight to the RER, then to the métro, and then a walk to the hotel. If nothing else, you won't have much energy left after that for much honeymoon activity that day.

Be a sport and spring for a taxi. You won't regret it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

It seems like people are offended at the idea of doing anything other than taking a taxi to the hotel. I have seen other threads on this board where people ask similar questions and they are not exactly treated like they are some kind of scumbag for wanting to have options. I thought part of being on this website was to not always do things that every other tourist does. I just wanted to know if there were some good options other than taking a taxi so close to the time of the morning commute. I know taking a taxi is not the end of the world and certainly neither is paying for one, I have just seen some things on the tele recently that said that if you dont know your way around and cant speak French, it is not uncommon for the taxi driver to "take you for a ride". I just dont want the first time I am screwed in Paris to be by a taxi driver.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:53 AM

Ok,

RER from CDG would cost 10,30 euros each, to get to central paris. From there Metro...you can buy a carnet (10 tickets) for 10,90 euros. The RER ticket can be used to transfer on to the metro for your first day.

One route...from CDG take RER to Gare du Nord.Take Metro Line 4 direction Port d'Orleans for 3 stops. Change to Metro Line 9, go direction Pont de Sevres for 8 stops to Metro Franklin Roosevelt. This Metro stop is on Champs Elysee, 2 blocks from your hotel. The Metro comes very often, so you won't have to wait too long

Another option is the Air France bus from CDG which would take you to the Arc de Triomphe, 13 euros one way. From there a 5 block walk to your hotel

http://www.airfrance.com/double6/pas...F?OpenDocument

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:56 AM

The RER fare (to the Métro stops near your hotel) is €8,10. But look at this map before you decide: http://tinyurl.com/yocwbw

The Roissybus (see above) is €8,50.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

I just saw this in another thread. Seems like this is an option that no one mentioned, right.
"We used Yellow based on the recent recommendations of several posters. I prefer taking a shuttle to our apartment because I like to see other areas where people are dropped off, often seeing hotels that I have only read about. I am also a cheap skate and hate to hear the ticking meter. We've had several bad experiences with Paris Airport Shuttle over the years, on our return trips back to CDG, so I don't make return reservations from home, but call while we are there. A lot of times we will just call a cab to the airport rather than the shuttle, we don't decide until the last few days."

I see your points about taking the taxi but I was wondering if the metro or anything else for that matter is readily accesible from the airport such as the "L" train in Chicago when arriving in Midway. I wouldnt exactly call it schlepping when you take the L instead of a cab considering the amount of $ you can save and when the train can drop you off on the same block as your hotel. That is why I asked.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:02 PM

Well - if you're up to schlepping to save a few bucks, you could:

Ride the RER B (from CDG Terminal 2) to Châtelet and Métro Ligne 1 to George V.

Be forewarned, however, that Ch&acirc;telet is a <i>huge</i> interchange where eight train lines converge, and navigating it can be intimidating to some. But since you mentioned the &quot;L&quot; train in Chi-town, it sounds to me you would take it all in stride.

The only part I would have any misgivings about would be that last leg - from M&eacute;tro George V to your inn. The sidewalks are very crowded from dawn to the wee hours.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Michel and Robespierrefor your responses. After all of that, would you still go with the taxi's? Your suggestions do not sound that difficult though. This will be the third time I have been to Paris as well as my fiance's third, but we were younger and were with groups.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

So the Air France shuttle is not suggested? It seems the drop off point is very close to our hotel?
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:41 PM

What I would do really doesn't apply to noobs like yourselves. I've been to Paris somewhere between many dozen and a few hundred times since I first went there as a student in 1963.

I would probably take RER B to Gare du Nord, then RER E to Haussmann St-Lazare, then M&eacute;tro 9 to FDR. Or if the traffic wasn't too rigorous, RER B to Ch&acirc;telet, RER A to &Eacute;toile, and M&eacute;tro 1 to George V (probably the fastest).

But Plan A - the RER or bus into town followed by a taxi ride - is the best cost/effort tradeoff I can offer for you right at the moment.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:04 PM

There's nothing wrong with the Air France coach. It's easy and comfortable and about 12-13Euro per person. I forget which street running off the &quot;Etoile&quot; is the drop-off, but I figure it will be about 800 meters walking to 70 ave Ch-Elysees, or maybe 10 minutes..? Be sure to consult a map because you do have to navigate your way partially around the Arc's circle to reach Champs-Elysees.

There is more than one line of coaches - some go to other stops in Paris. You want the one going to Porte Maillot and Charles de Gaulle-Etoile (Arc de T.). Follow the signs at the airport to ground transportation, find the AF coach and pay the driver for tickets.

One more option is Roissybus, about 8Euro per person, same basic deal - the drop-off is on rue Scribe, just off Opera Garnier. It's too far to walk, but you could get a cab for a small amount and go to the hotel's doorstep.

My personal opinion is to take a taxi from CDG to the hotel - about 50Euro, easy, non-stress, comfortable. Show the driver a notecard with the hotel's address, and maybe a map of it's location. I don't think it's common for Paris taxis to rip off customers like you might hear in other cities. They do charge a euro or so per bag above the meter, that's not a rip-off. Only take a taxi from the offical stand - cars have &quot;taxi Parisien&quot; on top.

You have time to learn other methods for your return to CDG.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:16 PM

What part of &quot;If I could get there for much cheaper, I would rather spend the money on something else like food or wine!&quot; do you not understand?
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM

Why is food and wine more important than easy transport with luggage? Why can't a person splurge on transportation and eat a picnic lunch to make up for it? Why does it have to be the other way around with everybody? Why can't a person splurge on BOTH taxis and food/wine? Do what YOU want.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:05 PM

pay for a private transfer. Compamy called Airport Connection. Round trip and it is worth every penny.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:50 PM

I agree with Travelnut, AND I'd be pretty pissed at a honeymoon that began with a major schlep on public transportation in a foreign city...and I'm no drama queen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -